Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Samsung released an anti-iPhone ad calling iPhone users "wall huggers" in a promotion for its Galaxy S5 smartphone. Today the South Korean company is promoting its new Galaxy Tab S with two new anti-Apple advertisements, bashing the iPad's lack of multitasking and its screen.

In the first ad, Samsung features a crying baby and a dad fighting over an iPad that's unable to display two apps at once. The baby wants to watch a movie while the dad is trying to catch a sports game. A Galaxy Tab S, which can display multiple apps at once, is swapped for the iPad, and suddenly both dad and baby are happy.

What went wrong here? Ahhh, It's not a Super AMOLED. What if it were a Samsung Galaxy Tab S? Compared to many LCDs, Super AMOLEDs give you 100 times higher contrast. Instead of 1000:1, you get 100,000:1 contrast. Conventional LCDs get their color using backlight but Super AMOLEDs turn off pixel by pixel, each emitting their own light. So you get all the fine details and varied shades of black that many LCDs can't show.
First announced in June, Samsung's newest tablet, the Galaxy Tab S features a high-resolution (2560 x 1600) Super AMOLED display. During its presentation, Samsung touted the tablet's display quality, suggesting it had a more accurate color range, better contrast, and higher outdoor visibility than a typical LCD display. The Galaxy Tab S is also Samsung's thinnest tablet to date, offering a fingerprint sensor, an 11 hour battery life, and Android's multitasking features.

The iPad Air, in contrast, features a 2048 by 1536 Retina display with 3.1 million pixels. While it is unable to run two apps at once presently, split-screen multitasking is said to be in the works. Apple is also working on a new version of the iPad Air and the Retina iPad mini, both of which are expected to come equipped with Touch ID fingerprint sensors and an A8 processor.

Article Link: Samsung Bashes iPad's Screen, Lack of Multitasking in New Galaxy Tab S Ads

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
The last thing you could bash about the ipad is the screen. Don't see what more you could want from it?

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
yet they fail miserably in sales compared to the single-tasker And supposedly not-so-great-resolution iPad ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BlazinDei

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
New York City
This is honestly the worst commercial I've ever seen. Who shares an iPad with their infant? Why doesn't he watch the sports on the TV or the baby watch the show on the TV? If you have two shows on one device not only is that going to kill the battery, one of them will have no sound. Stupidest commercial I have ever seen :confused::(:apple:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Anybody else getting right click menu popups when they tap to play YouTube videos like these on their iPad (I have an iPad mini if it matters)? Didn't have this problem yesterday.

UPDATE: It seems the issue has been fixed - at least with the videos I have viewed today, including the ones in this article.

Last edited:

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
why does samsung resort to bashing ipad or apple products in general. i guess the their product is inferior that's why and i read somewhere (not macrumors) that their new galaxy phone is a flop...

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I find myself in this kind of situation, like, all. the. time. I'm so grateful that Samsung has managed to make an ad that showed just how capable samsung is in having such a direct and meaningful impact on improving the quality of my life! I shall now go buy 2. ;)

mrperezmarc

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
why does samsung resort to bashing ipad or apple products in general. i guess the their product is inferior that's why and i read somewhere (not macrumors) that their new galaxy phone is a flop...

Cause Mac VS PC commercial worked so well for apple! :D

sevenpelicans

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Advertising fail

Really poor execution of an interesting, useful feature. I hate to say it, but good advertising of an inferior product can sell over bad advertising of a superior product.

That being said, I'd still buy an apple product over a Samsung one any day :)

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Did Samsung hire away Mark Penn from Microsoft?

Bad, isn't it? Typical, though. You got 2 cores, I got 4, they're better. How many dpi you got! Hey, I got more! Oh, and that crowd's a bunch of fanboys! Next big thing! Schoolyard taunts.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Regardless of it running one app at a time or twenty, it's still not an iPad. ;)

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Split screen would be awesome.

Email on one and Internet on other. I can see lots of other users. I wouldn't be bashing a feature like that.

mrperezmarc

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
Samsung split screen causes Cross eyed kid

I don't know about anybody else, but the kid looks crossed eye when he's watching the samsung tablet... If that product has that effect on people... they can keep it.

And yes, when I'm with a bunch of bros, I like to watch the same movie on my iPad instead of my tv! Make perfect sense!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.