Samsung beats Apple to a 12-inch fanless laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DieAllianz, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

What does this mean?

2. DieAllianz thread starter macrumors member

3. chleuasme macrumors 6502

The question remains, will Apple keep using 15W chips and make a rMBP12, or will Apple experiment with the ultra-low power Broadwell and preparing for better future generations, now that Core M chips are able to deliver minimal performances but not being able to sustain heavy load as the price to remain cool, to make a rMBA12.

Btw, this Samsung laptop will be on shelves some time in Q1'15, Apples never shows you what's in labs, and make products announcement when close or ready to ship (iPhone, nMP, aWatch, etc are counter-examples of course). So technically, you can't yet say Samsung has released a fanless 12" laptop with a retina screen before Apple.

Interesting laptop, would like to see it tested on thermal and power consumption vs perfs, to see how Samsung handles the fanless design. Ativ might stand for "Always throttling impedes vaporization".

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To be honest, I cannot imagine an Apple advert with _these_ colours for the screen. This is ugly.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Cool!

So this means Apple will see what someone else has already done, improve on the original in nearly every way, and make their version?

I'm good with this.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would also like to see some ratings on it's ability to shed thermal load. If the CPU has to constantly throttle down due to heat, it will not be good.