Samsung coming with 4 and 5 inch android powered "itouch"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jcoz, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Jcoz macrumors 6502

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. Nope. Not happening. How do you operate a 5" device with one hand?

Does it fit in a normal pocket?

3. Jcoz thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking one hand operation is not required for a media player, and gaming is a large part of why a 5" model will be a hit.

4. juanml82 macrumors newbie

The only thing it has that the Ipod doesn't have is Flash support and no need to use Itunes to add music and videos. OTOH, it has less games.
    How is Samsung expecting to win with a mere clone?

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It may attempt to "compete" with the iPod touch, but it surely won't give up much competition.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Depends on the pocket. There is also a 4" version. Don't know how Samsung has to stones to put the android market on them though, when every other maker of android PMPs is afraid to.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

A big screened Android device can't compete. Too many of them will be broken due to the fact that they wouldn't fit into a pocket and got dropped.

8. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I see the touch 5 (as well as iphone) having a 4 inch screen while being the same form factor of the current touch. I don't see a 5 inch touch coming out as the sizes are too close to one another.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It probably wont make any competition at all. iPod is now what people called an MP3 player back in the day. Everyone has an iPod, everyone wants an iPod, besides the very few who don't like them and go with Zune. iPod is the de facto standard of MP3 player.

10. slomifier macrumors regular

Really? Im an ex 1g/2g/3g iTouch user (Yes, 3 gens), and now I'm a (happier) Samsung Galaxy S user running Android 2.2.1. It runs near perfect, the "App Store" is FAR better, the screen is pristine.

I hate to come back on here and bash the device I used to cherish; but honestly, there are FAR better touchscreen phones/devices on the market.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll have to see it in person first, but I'm open to competition.

The problem for me is that, after spending money on apps and games for my iPod I'm reluctant to move elsewhere. I'd move out if iOS was a sinking ship.

After playing a 3DS... the first iPod/PDA style device to have a 3D display gets my money.

12. legosz macrumors newbie

Samsung intends to win with Android software. Android OS is basically like a Jailbroken iOS which is why it has the advantage. It comes packed with customization, flash, Super Nintendo Emulators (Or any other emulator), free tweaking apps for your device, and many more that the App store does not allow and can only be gained through jailbreaking an iDevice.

I personally prefer Android to iOS because it is an open platform, however I will not buy this device due to Samsung. Samsung is a horrible cell phone and handheld device company. I've heard many complaints from friends about their Samsung phones, constant freezing, and no updates at all on android. Samsung simply does not care about it's buyers and does not upgrade the Android software at all!

If only HTC were to make a handheld device with Android...

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ROTF. You should be a comedian.

Or maybe you meant far better at getting malware in the open wasteland?

14. slomifier, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

slomifier macrumors regular

I have AVG and a spy scanner built into the phone (both of which were 100% FREE), so no, I've never gotten a virus or malware, but thanks for the concern ;). "Open wasteland" is a little misleading as well. It is a little "less regulated", but I haven't seen anything that would make an comparison to a wasteland an apt metaphor.

And I meant that all the type of apps that Cydia has (system modifying apps and such) are STANDARD in the Android Market. No jailbreaking BS to get your device to do what its supposed to do, instead of what apple wants YOU to do.

All I know is that it takes roughly 2.6 seconds after seeing my Galaxy S to make someone jealous ;)

I'm like 99.9% sure that HTC makes Android phones. I think the Desire HD is Android. I could be wrong though. I think Android can be loaded after you buy it anyways though.

15. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

HTC makes many android phones, one of them being the Evo, on Sprint, which i have :)

16. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

just ignore it, I own ipod touch 4 and Incredible S, I found android system is not so good as ios. And the multi-touch screen is not so sensitive.