Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
This "people not replying to green bubbles" are more likely to be due to iPhones having real problems when one leaves the iMessages and send texts. It seems the iPhone ignores it and sends iMessages as replies to SMS, which means they will just end up in a void.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
As an iPhone user and reading some of the replies here as to how some of you don't reply to green bubbles is the exact reason why Samsung felt the need to do this. As long as the messages come thru and the message gets conveyed then there should be no problem.

Have you considered that some of us might be playing along with the “joke”? ;)

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
This legitimately makes zero sense. SMS is inferior to every messenger app, why are they proud to flaunt they still use SMS?

I have one gif in mind as a reaction:

View attachment 854065
Most carriers are using RCS protocol now and SMS as a fallback. Apple's iMessage app is not compatible with the universal RCS protocols.
[doublepost=1566416225][/doublepost]
I think Samsung is missing the point here, because to send those gifs in a green bubble, you need to uses mms (not sms) and for most people that costs a lot of money. Which is why people prefer blue bubble. Internet FTW!
???
Most?
I highly doubt that.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you can't beat 'em, gif 'em?

It's always a little scary when you text someone and the text bubbles go green once or twice before changing back to blue.

Reactions: will_is_here

JustSomeInfo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2016
Samsung Corporate meeting: Hmm, our messaging tech is stuck in the 90's. Should we add read receipts, end-to-end encryption, and the ability to seamlessly/opportunistically bypass the phone company's SMS network?

Marketing Guy: Nah, let's just make some animated GIFs to make our users feel better about using an inferior system.

That won't work. What they need is a Geocities webpage with some kickin' auto-play midi tunes.

Reactions: CarlJ

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
My reaction every time.

B6D927FA-B599-4751-9458-186E1B4F2C80.jpeg

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Samsung has always been pretty petty, but this is just... wow. Instead of making products and services that compete, they spend their time on this.

Unfortunately, so does Apple. Personally I find this highly amusing. Sure wish there was a real cross-platform standard for messaging.. besides SMS. My perfect world would allow me to use iMessage, someone to use Android’s built-in chat, and yet others to use WeChat, Vibe, etc... all in communication. This vendor lock-in is silly.

Reactions: PC_tech

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Lol. Sadly, this is a thing. There are some people who would not respond to your messages if the bubbles are green. I know, it’s ridiculous but it happens.

I’m guilty. If friends or colleagues using android want to communicate with me, I prefer if they use GroupMe, especially if they want to start a Group Message. Otherwise, I will only respond to iMessages and all green texts are filtered out.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I‘m not sure what’s more ridiculous, the fact that people care about their chat partner‘s bubble color or the fact that Samsung feels they should make fun of it.

Reactions: Nekomichi

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK

Samsung today debuted a bunch of GIFs that are meant to serve as comebacks for Android users who are maligned for their green text bubbles.

As iPhone owners know, iMessages on an iPhone are denoted with a blue chat bubble, while SMS text messages from other devices such as Samsung devices are green. That lets iPhone users know who has an iPhone and who doesn't.

samsungdealwithit.jpg

iOS users often prefer texting other iOS users over Android users because SMS messages lack many of the capabilities available to iMessage users. If you've ever been in a group text with a bunch of iPhone users and one Android user, for example, you've probably run into bugs and other limitations.

iPhone users' preference for blue bubbles sometimes leads to Android users being teased or left out of conversations. Samsung's solution is, as The Verge points out, apparently a series of GIFs shared on Giphy that Android users can send to the iPhone users who make fun of them for green bubbles.

All of the GIFs feature weird animated green chat bubbles that range from creepy to bizarre. There's "Deal With It" green bubble lettering, a unicorn that stabs a blue chat bubble and turns it green, a green chat bubble with huge muscles showing off, an iguana that turns a green bubble blue, and more.

In many of the GIFs, green bubbles are seen as defeating or conquering blue bubbles in some way, suggesting SMS texts are superior to iMessage texts. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Samsung made more than 20 GIFs that are on Giphy for Android users to take advantage of, and according to The Verge, Samsung is reaching out to Instagram meme pages to ask them to share the GIFs plus the hashtag #GreenDontCare.

Article Link: Samsung Created a Bunch of Pro-Green Bubble GIFs to Get Back at iPhone Users Who Prefer Blue Chat Bubbles
Oh people just get a life.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I don't care about the color itself, but messages outside of iMessage (Messages) cost me $.20 each. I usually get only a few green bubble messages each month, but it adds up when Android users include me in a group text, and spam texts are becoming more of a problem for me. I don't want to pay an extra $20 for texting because most of my friends use iPhones, but I may have to if the pay per text goes above the $20 per month.

nitramluap

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2015
Uh... all morons.

The *entire point* of the different colours is not to divide people into tribes, but to let the SENDER know if the message went as a data (iMessage) with the added advantage of delivered/read receipts and the user being able to receive it on multiple, concurrent devices (and essentially free)*... or if it went as a dumb SMS where you have no idea if it has even been received and it costs you 20c.

Unbelievable that this is even ‘a thing’.

* It also secondarily lets you know the user is running iOS so you can take advantage of all sorts of other things with them (sharing, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.