Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that the patent dispute between Apple and Samsung has taken another interesting turn, as Samsung has agreed to delay the launch of its forthcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia until a lawsuit filed by Apple in that country is resolved.
Samsung, based in Suwon, South Korea, agreed to stop advertising the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia and not to sell the device until it wins court approval or the lawsuit is resolved, according to an accord reached by lawyers during a break in the hearing. Should Apple lose its patent infringement lawsuit, it agreed to pay Samsung damages, which weren't specified.
According to the report, Samsung's Australian version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is slightly different than the U.S. version, and the company has agreed to provide Apple with access to the Australian version at least seven days before launch so that Apple can review the device as it pertains to the infringement lawsuit.

galaxy_tab_10_1_revised-500x359.jpg

Apple had requested an injunction in Australia after Samsung began making announcements of an "imminent launch" of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 nearly two weeks ago. The two sides then negotiated the agreement delaying the product's launch.

While the patent dispute between Apple and Samsung spans numerous lawsuits in a number of countries, today's news marks what appears to be the first tangible effect of the dispute on Samsung's device sales.

Article Link: Samsung Delays Australian Launch of Galaxy Tab 10.1 Due to Apple Patent Lawsuit

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
No one should be supporting this; no matter how much you love and worship Apple.

The alternative that you implicitly suggest is that we should all support corporations that blatantly copy technology instead of innovating. How is that a good idea?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The alternative that you implicitly suggest is that we should all support corporations that blatantly copy technology instead of innovating. How is that a good idea?

They're not guilty yet are they? How about we wait for a verdict before pointing fingers?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Didn't see this coming. Not like Samsung's constantly pushing the line of too-far-ness in terms of copying with every product they release.

Just to make it clear, I'm not an Apple fanboy or anything, I'm actually probably going to buy the 10.1 for my dad as I think he'll prefer it to the iPad I got him recently, but I mean, look at the dock connectors for example!

6772.jpg

I do like Samsung, I just wish they could keep going with products like the Galaxy S2 and actually take their own deviation off the path, instead of just mirroring Apple.

EDIT: Might even keep the 10.1 for myself. He has an android phone, so the iPad compliments it well - I think having an iPhone and the 10.1 myself works well too, perhaps.

EDIT #2: Noticed the Samsung's connector is also a bit longer. Case dropped! :p

Last edited:

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Didn't see this coming. Not like Samsung's constantly pushing the line of too-far-ness in terms of copying with every product they release.

Just to make it clear, I'm not an Apple fanboy or anything, I'm actually probably going to buy the 10.1 for my dad as I think he'll prefer it to the iPad I got him recently, but I mean, look at the dock connectors for example!

I do like Samsung, I just wish they could keep going with products like the Galaxy S2 and actually take their own deviation off the path, instead of just mirroring Apple.

Huge difference. Samsung's dock connector is black. :p

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
No one should be supporting this; no matter how much you love and worship Apple.

Yes, you should.

I hate it when companies just copy and don't innovate. In this world using another person's idea and making it just so to avoid lawsuits seems more important than trying to create something.
I understand being inspired and trying to improve but not to copy and make it worse just to be cheaper.

cptdavep

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I think the blatant plagiarism of hardware design is so obvious that Samsung know they're going to lose. If they were at all hopeful of winning they would be pressing ahead with the product launch regardless.

DamenS

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
To state that this is "the first tangible effect of the dispute on Samsung's device sales" is somewhat disingenuous, considering that Apple will reimburse Samsung for their "lost sales" should Apple lose the case ... so Samsung's device sales will indeed be zero, but Apple will have doubly lost - having paid Samsung's profit margin on reasonable likely sales of their device and also allowing Samsung to stockpile, or redistribute, those physical devices they would have sold in the interim, for resale and another profit margin.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
They're not guilty yet are they? How about we wait for a verdict before pointing fingers?

The post to which I was replying suggested that we should not support any of this no matter our affinity toward Apple. While it is true that no one has been found guilty yet, the alternative to the poster's point is still that Apple should sit by and let another company (in Apple's viewpoint) rip off their technology and marketing. So my post could have been worded with a caveat, but the point remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.