Samsung Expected to Provide Nearly 80% of OLED Displays for iPhone 12 Lineup [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite Apple's focus on diversifying its suppliers for various components in its products, Samsung Display is expected to still provide nearly 80 percent of the OLED displays used in this year's "iPhone 12" lineup, according to a preview of a DigiTimes report that will be published in full tomorrow.

Samsung Display has obtained nearly 80% of the overall panel orders for Apple's next-generation iPhone series tentatively dubbed iPhone 12 slated for launch later this year, according to industry sources. LG Display and BOE are other panel suppliers for the upcoming iPhones.
Samsung was the exclusive display supplier for Apple's first OLED iPhone, the iPhone X back in 2017. LG came on board the following year as a second supplier, and BOE is now reportedly entering Apple's supply chain for the 2020 phones as Apple goes all-OLED in its flagship lineup for the first time.

Apple is widely rumored to be launching four new iPhone models in the usual September or October timeframe, although supply constraints and delays in production ramp-up may lead to a somewhat staggered release as we've seen in recent years.

Of the four new models coming this year, rumors have indicated that Samsung will supply the displays for three models: the 5.4-inch entry-level iPhone 12 and 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro" models. The fourth new model, a 6.1-inch iPhone 12 with similar specs to the entry-level model, is where BOE and LG are said to be supplying displays.

Update May 27: The full report is now available, with DigiTimes repeating many of the display specs that have previously been rumored. Samsung is reportedly planning to ship 30-35 million displays for the 5.4-inch model and 15-20 million displays for each of the high-end 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch models.

As previous sources have indicated, LG Display and BOE are expected to split the display supplies for the low-end 6.1-inch model, with LG supplying the vast majority with 18-23 million panels while BOE provides just two million.

Article Link: Samsung Expected to Provide Nearly 80% of OLED Displays for iPhone 12 Lineup [Updated]

Last edited:

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I don't care who makes it as long as all have the same performance, durability and reliability. If one is better than the other, then obviously I want the best of the suppliers they chose to buy from.
- - Post merged: - -

Funny how so many Apple lovers put down Samsung etc. but it seems Samsung is a key ingredient to Apple phones.
Yes, I agree but they refuse to acknowledge that.

Mdracer

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
My father has the latest Samsung s20 and when the screen is viewed with polarized glasses it makes it difficult to see the Samsung screen, however with my iPhone 10s it has no problems nor do the colors shift at all. So although it is supplied by Samsung it is made to apples tolerances. But to this day I am baffled by how apple makes theirs screens glare free and completely compatible to use with polarized glasses.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Funny how so many Apple lovers put down Samsung etc. but it seems Samsung is a key ingredient to Apple phones.
Samsung currently produces or has produced in the past the following iPhone parts: displays, RAM, SSD storage, camera sensor, camera components, CPU chips, antennas... pretty much what makes a smartphone.

------
On another topic, Apple's online services relies on protocols and servers from other companies, one of them ultra evil Amazon... honestly fanboys can be blind to the point of being ridiculous. All of these are tech companies, they compete on many grounds and collaborate on others (USB C development, HTML 5, etc.).

Some people condemn Qualcomm for charging royalties on technologies THEY developed and actively improve, while praise Apple for charging royalties on the proprietary Lightning cables that break easily, use USB protocols developed 20 years ago and randomly display "accessory not supported" even though you paid a good penny for them.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
I wonder how many execs vote on the screen technology that's going to be used in their new phones. Its bizarre that to this day  continues to choose eyeball ripping OLED screens and refuses to use a healthier alternative LCD in a larger size. Baffling.

Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

Northern Man

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2013
As I have said elsewhere, I find it strange that I have zero eye strain or difficulties using my Samsung Galaxy S10e (which I believe is AMOLED) but after a minute or so using my wife's new iPhone SE (LCD screen) I have eye strain and discomfort. I have no such problem when using my original iPhone SE.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As I have said elsewhere, I find it strange that I have zero eye strain or difficulties using my Samsung Galaxy S10e (which I believe is AMOLED) but after a minute or so using my wife's new iPhone SE (LCD screen) I have eye strain and discomfort. I have no such problem when using my original iPhone SE.
As I said previously, a few years back a friend let me use her Samsung Galaxy phone and I found the screen gave me eye strain and a headache. No such issues on my Xs Max. People have all manner of health issues and tolerances for certain technologies.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
All you are showing is that Apple is incapable of manufacturing a key part of its phones. Not such a funny situation.
Apple is not a manufacturing company, they are a design company and do not own any large scale manufacturing facilities. Their manufacturing requirements are outsourced.

It's not that "it's not a funny situation"...it's Apples' business model.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If I recall correctly, Samsung was one of the only suppliers that could actually meet Apples demands for OLED panels, which is why they chose them initially back in 2017 for the iPhone X. (With LG being a second supplier). But if you look at it on a positive note, it’s good that tech manufactures can rely on each other in terms of producing various components. As much as his competition, it’s also supportive in the same nature.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Samsung may be pathetic copycats, and they suck at making a lot of things, but some of their displays and flash storage products are pretty decent!

Reactions: ksec

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Cue.... "Displygate"... and the few OCD MacRumor forum members that insist one manufacturer's display is better (even if by minute differences) and they exchange 15 iPhones at launch because they are "entitled to the best display."

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Samsung may be pathetic copycats, and they suck at making a lot of things, but some of their displays and flash storage products are pretty decent!
Samsung's components division ≠ Samsung Mobile Phone division

I am sure Apple has NDA's in place to prevent the different divisions from sharing info...

Reactions: FlyingDutch

ksec

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I dont like Samsung, I wouldn't say I hate them, but I certainly dislike them.

But credit where credit 's due. NAND, GDDR / HBM ( used by your GPU ), DRAM, OLED, Camera Sensor, Battery, 5G, and many others they are quite relentless in tech innovation.

I hope people do give credit and respect to your competitor or enemy, judging from some of the reply here.

I am wondering if BOE will make Diamond Pentitle OLED just for Apple only assuming Apple gets some patent issue sorted out with Samsung.

• Disagree
Reactions: TakeshimaIslands
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.