Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Samsung Files Patent Suits Against Apple in Korea, Japan, Germany

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In response to the Apple lawsuit, Reuters reports that Samsung has filed patent lawsuits against Apple in South Korea, Japan and Germany.
"Samsung is responding actively to the legal action taken against us in order to protect our intellectual property and to ensure our continued innovation and growth in the mobile communications business," the statement said.
The suit reportedly involves up to five infringements of patents but details were not provided. Earlier this week, Apple filed suit against Samsung over the Galaxy" line of Android-based smartphones and tablets.

Article Link: Samsung Files Patent Suits Against Apple in Korea, Japan, Germany

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Apples got to be thrilled, they got just what they wanted. A good dose of conflict and confrontation.

I truly believe Steve is addicted to chaos.

Comment

ridley182

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
The OC
"...to ensure our continued innovation..."

Ripping-off other companies' UI's is "innovation" now?

Samsung is such a pathetic company. They make nice TVs but still pathetic.

Comment

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
"...to ensure our continued innovation..."

Ripping-off other companies' UI's is "innovation" now?

Samsung is such a pathetic company. They make nice TVs but still pathetic.

Right, it's like Apple researched every mobile technology by itslef without infringing anyone's patent. :rolleyes:

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Interesting that they avoided U.S. courts.

Mannheim is very very fast venue - something like a year, maybe less. And the defendant can't argue the patent is invalid (they need to do that in a separate, slower action).

Comment

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Not sure why people think Apple is the bully here. Have you not seen the comparison between the Samsung phone and the iPhone? We even have sales people telling customers the Samsung phone is "like an iPhone"..

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Even more entertaining is the fact that Apple is so arrogant they fail to realize how stupid they look.

Suing their biggest vendor.

It doesn't get any more stupid than that.

This happens all the time, and usually results in the plaintiff paying less for the stuff they're buying from that vendor.

Comment

BLUELION

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Not exactly...

Its like let me provide you our technology so you can make our screens for us and they turn around and take that technology to make a product of their own rebranded under the *****ung name.

Thats whats wrong here.

Right, it's like Apple researched every mobile technology by itslef without infringing anyone's patent. :rolleyes:

Comment

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Even more entertaining is the fact that Apple is so arrogant they fail to realize how stupid they look.

So by this logic you should just give away any work you did to figure out what sells in the market free to all your competitors.. yeah.. that's a great system.. and for your specific criticism, Apple has already prepared to switch manufacturers for some if not all the Samsung parts.

Comment

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I'm happy that there's a like/dislike system now, so that we can see how negative the reaction is towards Full of Win's comments. :D

Comment

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Our continuous innovation?

Even my grandma has more innovations than samsung. At least HTC and motorola came up with their skins being very different from apple. They tried to differentiate themselves from apple's iOS with Motorola Blur and HTC Sense.

But, Samsung? They look so much like iOS.

Korea? Give me a freaking break. That market is so freaking small.

US is a huge market. There are way over 300 millions of people here and it is growing so fast. Samsung sold 2-3 million galaxy phones in US alone.

If samsung loses, and they most likely will... against apple in this law suit in US. Their share holders won't be so happy.

Samsung Vs Apple is very different from Apple vs HTC or Apple vs Motorola.

Samsung did copy apple.

Look at their damn 9 series laptop. Look at how their ports are located. It is a rip off from apple's first generation MBA.

Innovation my ass...

Comment

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Take the fight to them Sammy! Don't give in to the bully that Apple has become.

You're kidding, right? They'll play this game in court but Apple has a metric **** ton of money just sitting in the bank. And when they want parts and approach Samsung for them, Samsung won't react like, "No way dude, you were mean." They'll see billions of dollars being offered their way and they'll take it, because this is business. There are other companies that supply these parts too, not just Samsung. Let me clarify that in no way am I saying everything Apple does is perfect and Samsung should feel privileged to do business with them, and as far as who copied who goes is not part of my argument (I love both Apple and Samsung), but please don't kid yourself if you think a lawsuit will stand in the way of making a crap ton of money.

Germany is a painful place to defend a patent suit.

How so? (not saying you're wrong, I'm genuinely curious)

Last edited:
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
How so? (not saying you're wrong, I'm genuinely curious)

Several reasons. It's very fast - Mannheim is about a year, and Dusseldorf about two. You can't raise invalidity of the patent as a defense. You have to very early in the case explain your theory of non-infringement, etc. The system works very differently than the U.S.

Comment

johnntd

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
A copycat company

The only stupid thing Apple did was to not realize that other companies are copying their designs left and right. Samsung has always been the worst of all. They copy everything. It is in their nature to do so. Look at everything they make. It is all a copycat in one form or another.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.