Samsung Flexible or iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moosquared, Sep 23, 2011.

1. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

3. suniil macrumors member

Looks interesting, so they have the technology!

4. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Guess we should just shut this site down, eh?

Oh well, it was nice chatting with you all.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think that is going be the new trend. Maybe not by next year, but in a few years. It catches on in Asia first like South Korea and Japan before spreading outside the continent. Think how you can try to hit it with a hammer and nothing really happens. Glass is out the door. Phones that we can fold and start wearing.

I was never a fan of Samsung, but I am starting to like the things they are doing as of late. Apple might accuse of them of being iOS copycats, but Sammy is still continuing to try to innovate with the hardware aspect. Samsung is trying to think outside of the box instead of watching Apple or whoever continue making us the same incremental, slab designs with just half an inch improvement in screen size. First the Galaxy Note at 5.3 inches with a unique stylus for a capacitive touchscreen and now flexible screens.

Don't underestimate the brilliance from Koreans.
    They invented the first mp3 player in 1998 and the first to add it in mobile phones by 2003.

[​IMG]

8. realitycheck69 macrumors member

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Battery life seems like it would be terrible to me with so much less space to put stuff except on that tiny end piece :(

LOVE the concept though :)

10. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think if the Samsung Galaxy Note is too tall, I would love to see if they created one that just folded in half while maintaining its thinness. I would like to see a revival of flip phones. Only reason we moved away from it was because of the smaller screens. But flexible screens can make sure that we can get big enough screens unfolded while also maintaining its portability when it does fold.

I think Samsung has some interesting things in its pipeline for the next 2-3 years. Remember, they are a hardware manufacturer at its core. They can't cover software the way Apple does. This is like Amazon being the largest online book store and then getting into the e-Book reader market with the Kindle. So Sammy's forte is hardware. They have some very interesting concepts down the road.

Before, I tended to always watch what HTC was doing. Now I have switched into watching what Sammy does next when it comes to cutting-edge hardware and specs. I doubt we are going to see the same slate designs in phones forever and ever. Someone has to think outside of the box even if it can't be accepted at this current time because it could just be way ahead of their time and it doesn't fit the social norms of today.

12. Greatbape macrumors newbie

How amazing would it be to wrap this around your wrist and wear it like a watch. Take off and make calls then put it back on your wrist to watch a movie and tell time etc.

13. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Anything Apple is better than anything Samsung, but Samsung is second best.

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Wow... blind devotion at its finest :p

15. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

true :p

16. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Make the Galaxy S3 with this and all the rumoured specs and I might just be the happiest guy on the planet :D

17. APlotdevice, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It looks nifty. However I don't think you could bend the current flexible OLEDs to that degree (almost folded over) without damaging them.

18. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

19. Krandor macrumors 6502

If I was going to get a phone other then the i5 it would likely be the new Nexus Prime. My biggest gripes with Android as that many carriers are slow on updates all the carriers want to put on their own custom skin. The Nexus phones don't have either of those issues. It will also be the first phone with the new Android OS and is due out in early Nov. So if I was to pass on the iPhone 5 in Oct that is the phone I would look at in early Nov. YMMV.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly the flexible design seems to me like it would be inherently vulnerable. The screen might be able to take bends over and over again, but no metallic wire or track will. Perhaps Samsung has solve this problem, but to me this design looks flaccid. It wasn't announced 1 April was it?

21. Krandor macrumors 6502

We will see something like this eventually but there are lots of problems to work out like you mentioned. Also things like people are used to holding their phone up to their ear - how does that work with a flexible design? Even if the screen is flexible it seems like you still need some support behind it.

This looks more like it is in "proof of concept" stage and not "Ready to be deployed" phase.

22. pgiguere1, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Let's be realistic: The display needs to be very thin to be flexible. They won't put any hardware behind the display and just put it at the bottom. No way they can fit a decent processor, battery, storage, antennas, microphone/speaker and all in such a tiny bottom. The phone would basically have to be a massive block with a very thin flexible display sticking out. Not that convenient IMO.

The phone pictured is a fantasy, a concept of what could come in a distant future. That's not something you can compare to the iPhone 5, which will be very real in less than a month.

If you like dreaming about phones of the future, take a look at the Mozilla Seabird concept. That's more appealing to me than a flexible phone.

23. mikelegacy, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

That tech is gimmicky and would die like 90% of concepts do.

The truth is we don't need to "wear" our phones. Sure, a few people here like it, but I can almost guarantee that thing wouldn't sell very well.

You really think a 15-18 year old girl would wear that as an accessory? Heck no, that thing would look hideous chillin on your wrist.

24. naths macrumors 6502

oh dear...how sad....:confused: