Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside its new Galaxy S10 smartphone lineup and the Galaxy Fold, Samsung today announced a new wearable accessory, the Galaxy Buds.

galaxybuds1-800x533.jpg

The Galaxy Buds are Samsung's new wire-free earbuds, similar to the AirPods. Samsung focused on sound with the Galaxy Buds, partnering with AKG. An Enhanced Ambient Sound feature allows users to better hear their surroundings with the earbuds in the ears, and an Adaptive Dual Microphone provides clear voice in loud and quiet environments alike.

galaxybuds2-800x283.jpg

Samsung says the Galaxy Buds are 30 percent smaller and lighter than the previous-generation earbuds, making them Samsung's most compact wearable earbuds yet. The battery in the Galaxy Buds supports 5 hours of calls or six hours of music on one charge.

galaxybuds3-800x339.jpg

There's a wireless charging case that's used to charge the Galaxy Buds, and it can be charged using any Qi-based wireless charger. It can also be charged via a Galaxy S10 smartphone using the new wireless PowerShare feature.

galaxybuds4-800x727.jpg

The Galaxy Buds support Bixby integration for making calls, sending text messages, checking battery level, and more.

Samsung's Galaxy Buds come in three colors -- white, yellow, and black -- and will be available for purchase on March 8. The Galaxy Buds will be priced at $129.99, but customers who pre-order a Galaxy S10 or S10+ can get a free pair of Galaxy Buds.

Along with the Galaxy Buds, Samsung today also unveiled two new wrist-worn devices, the Galaxy Watch Active and the Galaxy Fit. The Galaxy Watch Active is a round smart watch with a minimal design, featuring blood pressure monitoring, heart rate monitoring, stress checking and breathing exercises, fitness tracking, and Bixby integration.

galaxyactivewatch-800x272.jpg

The Galaxy Fit is a thin, lightweight wearable that's made for activity tracking. It features automatic workout tracking, heart rate monitoring, built-in alerts and messages, data like weather, calendar, and alarms from your smartphone, and more.

galaxyfit-800x402.jpg

The Galaxy Watch Active will be available starting on March 8 for $200, while the Galaxy Fit is coming in the second quarter of 2019.

Article Link: Samsung Launches 'Galaxy Buds' AirPods Competitor

RedGala

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
They look alright, but I'll have to see actual reviews of the UX, since that's what makes AirPods so successful.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
three colors, blue, green or black, but in the video all that is seen is white or yellow?

not sure I see the point to charging my earbuds case by sitting it on my phone like that. I dont often leave my phone laying flat like that.. and how long would it take? I suppose in a pinch it's an interesting idea.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
They want to be Apple so bad, and it shows.

its small tiny wireless earphones. what else are they supposed to do with earphones?

These don't look like they will fit in anyone's ears particularly well... also they look heavy so I doubt they will stay in place as well as AirPods when it comes to working out with them. It's cute how they shamelessly mimic'd the AirPods charging case though.

neither do Apples. they dont even fit into my friends ears and constantly out of another friends

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
These will by no means get me to switch to Samsung or Android, but the Airpods really suck for noisy environments like a subway. I have to turn up the volume to dangerous levels just to hear a podcast.

Silicone-tipped earbuds are much better at blocking out noise. I use a cheap pair of bluetooth buds on the subway for this reason. The downside is that you tend to shout on phone calls.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Everyone is casting shade but Samsung has had great earbuds that pair easily and come with a charging case for a few years now. The big change this year is the wireless charging. Keep Apple on their toes. If there were no good competitors then Apple could easily charge more and if Apple can charge more they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.