Samsung Launches 'Galaxy Buds' AirPods Competitor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside its new Galaxy S10 smartphone lineup and the Galaxy Fold, Samsung today announced a new wearable accessory, the Galaxy Buds.

[​IMG]

The Galaxy Buds are Samsung's new wire-free earbuds, similar to the AirPods. Samsung focused on sound with the Galaxy Buds, partnering with AKG. An Enhanced Ambient Sound feature allows users to better hear their surroundings with the earbuds in the ears, and an Adaptive Dual Microphone provides clear voice in loud and quiet environments alike.

[​IMG]

Samsung says the Galaxy Buds are 30 percent smaller and lighter than the previous-generation earbuds, making them Samsung's most compact wearable earbuds yet. The battery in the Galaxy Buds supports 5 hours of calls or six hours of music on one charge.

[​IMG]

There's a wireless charging case that's used to charge the Galaxy Buds, and it can be charged using any Qi-based wireless charger. It can also be charged via a Galaxy S10 smartphone using the new wireless PowerShare feature.

[​IMG]

The Galaxy Buds support Bixby integration for making calls, sending text messages, checking battery level, and more.

Samsung's Galaxy Buds come in three colors -- white, yellow, and black -- and will be available for purchase on March 8. The Galaxy Buds will be priced at $129.99, but customers who pre-order a Galaxy S10 or S10+ can get a free pair of Galaxy Buds.

Along with the Galaxy Buds, Samsung today also unveiled two new wrist-worn devices, the Galaxy Watch Active and the Galaxy Fit. The Galaxy Watch Active is a round smart watch with a minimal design, featuring blood pressure monitoring, heart rate monitoring, stress checking and breathing exercises, fitness tracking, and Bixby integration.

[​IMG]

The Galaxy Fit is a thin, lightweight wearable that's made for activity tracking. It features automatic workout tracking, heart rate monitoring, built-in alerts and messages, data like weather, calendar, and alarms from your smartphone, and more.

[​IMG]

The Galaxy Watch Active will be available starting on March 8 for $200, while the Galaxy Fit is coming in the second quarter of 2019.

Article Link: Samsung Launches 'Galaxy Buds' AirPods Competitor

2. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

3. BaracksPhallusPalace macrumors member

BaracksPhallusPalace

These don't look like they will fit in anyone's ears particularly well... also they look heavy so I doubt they will stay in place as well as AirPods when it comes to working out with them. It's cute how they shamelessly mimic'd the AirPods charging case though.

4. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

Wake me when Samsung actually designs something on their own..you know before Apple does it right. Until then i'll be napping Zzz thank you.

5. fokmik macrumors 68040

6. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

They look alright, but I'll have to see actual reviews of the UX, since that's what makes AirPods so successful.

7. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

8. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

9. Damtoft macrumors member

10. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

three colors, blue, green or black, but in the video all that is seen is white or yellow?

not sure I see the point to charging my earbuds case by sitting it on my phone like that. I dont often leave my phone laying flat like that.. and how long would it take? I suppose in a pinch it's an interesting idea.

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It will be no surprise when the battery in these gives out after two years.

12. iMatt. macrumors 6502

I can’t imagine they’ll work well for speaking on phone calls. In-ear buds aren’t for everyone either.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

They seem good with good battery life and not a bad price

How it connects is very air pods like

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

5 hours of calls is almost 3x AirPods battery life on calls. Very nice.

15. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

Well that'll be nearly twice as long as my AirPods managed.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You’ve got good eyes.

17. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

its small tiny wireless earphones. what else are they supposed to do with earphones?

neither do Apples. they dont even fit into my friends ears and constantly out of another friends

18. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

These will by no means get me to switch to Samsung or Android, but the Airpods really suck for noisy environments like a subway. I have to turn up the volume to dangerous levels just to hear a podcast.

Silicone-tipped earbuds are much better at blocking out noise. I use a cheap pair of bluetooth buds on the subway for this reason. The downside is that you tend to shout on phone calls.

19. mike2q macrumors member

mike2q

Everyone is casting shade but Samsung has had great earbuds that pair easily and come with a charging case for a few years now. The big change this year is the wireless charging. Keep Apple on their toes. If there were no good competitors then Apple could easily charge more and if Apple can charge more they will.

20. CordovaLark macrumors member

CordovaLark

I have to admit when they showed the ear buds charging on the back phone I was amazed. Pretty cool.

21. iMatt. macrumors 6502

Wait until they start exploding and killing people

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

People report about two years with heavy use for AirPods. This won’t be any different. Li-ion is just that.

23. jdmachogg macrumors member

Either ignorant or sarcastic

24. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Not a nice thing to joke about. Even Android users don’t deserve death.

Maybe a little facial scarring so we can identify them more easily, which these earbuds should help with.

25. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

I greatly prefer the in-ear buds like these or the BeatsX to the AirPod style. Hoping the updated AirPods will offer that option.