Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Can't wait. Still survivng with the Note 2. Will be interesting to compare the larger iPhone 6 to Note 4.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I can't wait either but hope the rumor of UV ray detection is untrue.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Ok if it's a curved display like the video, where it curves off of the edge then that looks pretty neat, especially if that stays on independently for alerts and information. If it's a truly flexible display that would be sick, but I highly doubt that technology is ready for mass production, hopefully I'm proven wrong.

In terms of the metal body, I've actually gotten quite attached to the faux leather of the Note 3 and would hate to see more weight, lack of removable back, antenna slots etc that a metal case may bring. I would have no issue if they kept the same back and may prefer it, but I'll wait and see what Sammy comes up with.

Still VERY excited for this phone, I'll be first in line. I love my Note 3.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Wait, is it a flexible screen or a curved screen? A flexible screen is a huge marketing gimmick, utterly useless and if anything detrimental to this thing fitting into my pocket.

I really hate how the word "flexible" is being used wrongly these days. The phone is NOT flexible, it's preformed into a curved shape that is in no way flexible.

EDIT: Ok if it's a curved display like the video, where it curves off of the edge then that looks pretty neat, especially if that stays on independently for alerts and information. In terms of the metal body, I've actually gotten quite attached to the faux leather of the Note 3 and would hate to see more weight, lack of removable back, antenna slots etc that a metal case may bring. I would have no issue if they kept the same back and may prefer it, but I'll wait and see what Sammy comes up with.

Still VERY excited for this phone, I'll be first in line. I love my Note 3.

Flexible as in bends-instead-of-breaks would be pretty handy. I can't see them risking the Note series on something as niche as a curved screen.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Didn't the S5 have rumors swirling around with a "premium metal body" and it was released with a faux perforated leather back that resembled a POS '88 Pontiac's interior.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Can't they curve it the other way like their new TV's :)

I didn't mind the back on my S5 when i had it, didn't need a case. If they make it metal it will be slippery and scratch like 5S and M8, and will be HUGE if you have to case it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm I the only one who doesn't want QHD displays on phones?

All I see are negatives: less performance (until the new Snapdragon arrives), less battery, totally unnecessary (1080P in my Nexus 7 2013 looks perfect, so why would it be necessary on a smaller screen?), can't really see a difference compared to 1080P, etc.

Manufacturers should focus on improving the displays, not making the resolution higher. We need better viewing outdoors, not more pixels.

Anyway, considering how good the SGS5 camera is (the best one IMO right now), adding OIS should make it even more superior to the rest.

Also expecting the new SGS5 back cover, but I'd also hate for it to be water resistant, having that USB cover that's really annoying to handle.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Didn't the S5 have rumors swirling around with a "premium metal body" and it was released with a faux perforated leather back that resembled a POS '88 Pontiac's interior.

I'd believe it this time. Sammy have already announced the Galaxy Alpha which has a metal body and they fired their designer after the S5 so things will be changing in their new releases.

This Note 5 is sounding very interesting, I'd be interested to see just what kind of practical implications this flexible display will have.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I'm I the only one who doesn't want QHD displays on phones?

All I see are negatives: less performance (until the new Snapdragon arrives), less battery, totally unnecessary (1080P in my Nexus 7 2013 looks perfect, so why would it be necessary on a smaller screen?), can't really see a difference compared to 1080P, etc.

Manufacturers should focus on improving the displays, not making the resolution higher. We need better viewing outdoors, not more pixels.
So, you don't believe that development of displays is driven by competition betweens brands/consumer demand for better specs, which means pushing the envelop in both pixel density and display evolution?

And while I do understand your gripe, this Quad HD display is a step forward in that evolution to better displays. Of course, the display I am waiting on (the Quantum Dot LED display or QD-LED) is coming and high PPI display design demand is making that possible. If you haven't researched QD-LED displays, you'll be amazed at how bad it makes current screen tech look.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I'll never buy another Samsung phone ever again after the disaster of the Note 3.

Touchwiz+Samsung=bad business

But there are plenty of people that love their Note 3 and wish them well to the Note 4.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
What was exactly wrong with the GN3? With the 3gb of RAM, it never lagged.

TouchWiz on the Note 3 is pretty buggy from what I've heard. I had to flash CM on my friend's Note 3 because it was so unreliable on stock.

For me it's a given, any Samsung phone I buy will be flashed with CM. Samsung hardware good, Samsung software bad.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll be honest and say I don't believe the rumours about a flexible screen in the slightest.

Perhaps it will have a partial metal body - real chrome bezel - but I would still expect so w plastic

2k screen likely
3gb ram yes

But I can not see a cat in yells chance it would need a flexible screen and if anything incorporating one would reduce yield and create production difficulties which Samsung are not going to want going up against a 5.5" iPhone.

The 2k screen will be enough of a differentiator (along with s-pen) over the reported res of the 5.5 iPhone 6.

----------

TouchWiz on the Note 3 is pretty buggy from what I've heard. .

I believe only some carrier variations since 4.4

International & Global variations didn't have the issues reported since 4.4 and indeed in my own experience it was the most stable and smooth Touchwiz experience.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I believe only some carrier variations since 4.4

International & Global variations didn't have the issues reported since 4.4 and indeed in my own experience it was the most stable and smooth Touchwiz experience.

My friend was complaining of bugs on an international (UK model) Note 3.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
TouchWiz on the Note 3 is pretty buggy from what I've heard. I had to flash CM on my friend's Note 3 because it was so unreliable on stock.

For me it's a given, any Samsung phone I buy will be flashed with CM. Samsung hardware good, Samsung software bad.

I've not found any bugs in my use, well aside from the ones due to Android itself which are consistent across any Android phone I use. There is minor lag at times though. Just replacing the launcher does wonders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.