Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samsung Galaxy Note?

• No, I am waiting for the next gen iPhone.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • No, I am happy with what I have got.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Yes, I have already purchased one.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Maybe, I am still undecided.

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I do agree on the size of the phones though, it's the one thing that keeps me away from Android is the size of the 'phones'.
You know they do make Android powered phones in many different sizes. ;)My Atrix for example, has a 4" screen but is not much bigger than the iPhone 4.
Here's what they look like side by side.

http://phone-size.com/?s=1,99

There are a lot of choices out there.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Gotta love the roller coaster ride that is cell phone design. They started out huge, then we all wanted the tiniest phone possible, and now this.
Not a bad looking phone, just a little too big for my liking.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Paint brushes come in a variety of sizes and shapes, so not really the same thing as a stylus, which tends to be much more limited.

Lol, what planet are you from? They serve the exact same purpose.

People use paint brushes for more concise, precise control of the paint they put on the canvas.

People use styluses for more concise, precise control of the commands they input on a touchscreen.

Paint brushes come in different shapes and sizes and (surprise!), so do styluses (Styluses at Amazon)

My analogy is/was appropriate, whether you want to admit it or not.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
They serve the exact same purpose.
No, they don't. Try using a tablet with a paint brush. You'll see they serve quite different purposes.

People use paint brushes for more concise, precise control of the paint they put on the canvas.
I doubt a brush like below is intended for concise, precise control of the paint:

3-Inch-Paintbrush.gif

Paint brushes come in different shapes and sizes and (surprise!), so do styluses (Styluses at Amazon)
All those styluses look roughly the same size and shape to me.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Too big. I played with one in Best Buy and I actually laughed out loud at its size. Holding & using it with one hand is a chore.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I had a phone with a stylus for years. I am NEVER going back. I hated having to pull out the stylus to touch the screen and then put it back when I wanted to type with two thumbs. Just was not convenient!:(

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
looking at the above posted pic, imho samsung has got little innovative skills left OR they are just being lazy.. i would love to see more options in market as consumer

Samsung: Producing multiple phone models with different screen sizes - lazy.
Apple: Producing single phone model - innovative?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Too big. I played with one in Best Buy and I actually laughed out loud at its size. Holding & using it with one hand is a chore.

I'd have to agree with this. I couldn't believe how big it was. I'm also the type to throw a case on a phone because every so often I'll accidentally drop it. This phone is already massive, and I just couldn't imagine making it any bigger with a case.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I had a phone with a stylus for years. I am NEVER going back. I hated having to pull out the stylus to touch the screen and then put it back when I wanted to type with two thumbs. Just was not convenient!:(

Samsung Note does not require stylus. It works just like any other Android phone. In addition, it provides pressure sensitive stylus for precision drawing.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
No, they don't. Try using a tablet with a paint brush. You'll see they serve quite different purposes.
A bicycle (or car, or ferry) and a passenger train serve the same purpose on different terrain. Similarly, a stylus and a paint brush serve the same purpose on different canvases.

I doubt a brush like below is intended for concise, precise control of the paint: http://www.carchem.co.uk/images/3-Inch-Paintbrush.gif
That's because you don't know what you're talking about. A professional house painter can cut into a corner pretty well with that kind of paint brush. Certainly with more precision than would be possible using a paint roller, spray gun, (or his/her hands).

All those styluses look roughly the same size and shape to me.
As the posters above me have already commented, there are styluses for many different types of tablets. Keep scrolling, or do your own research. Don't be surprised when you finally figure out that you're wrong.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Sure, if you got nothing else taking up space.

Not exactly true. My 7" Galaxy Tab fits in my jeans front pocket just fine (and also the back pocket on most of my pants).

The 5" Galaxy Note would leave room to spare.

Maybe you should actually SEE some of these devices firsthand before you make inaccurate comments about them?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Which best buy? Mine doesn't have any, told release was feb 19th. I see online ordering but it's not available.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I had one, the only reason I didnt keep it was because I couldnt keep it in my pocket at the gym, it was just to big for that. Otherwise if I wasnt a gym rat it would have been fine. Although jogging with it is also a bit much :)

kdarling

macrumors P6

Well, it's obviously not designed with one-handed use as its primary function.

It is an electonic notepad, partway between a tablet and a phone, for people who need to jot/draw notes on a larger screen, but who only want to carry one device.

It's not a huge market, but those who need something like it will be happy.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
As the posters above me have already commented, there are styluses for many different types of tablets. Keep scrolling, or do your own research. Don't be surprised when you finally figure out that you're wrong.

Show me one example of a stylus for a tablet that isn't roughly the same size and shape as a ballpoint pen and I'll admit I was wrong.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Show me one example of a stylus for a tablet that isn't roughly the same size and shape as a ballpoint pen and I'll admit I was wrong.

Every capacitive stylus? Google image search, the tip is the size of a small finger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.