Samsung Galaxy Player $199

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BreadedVirus, Apr 13, 2012.

1. BreadedVirus macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

The Galaxy Player 4.2 has been given a release date of May 13th with a price tag of $199.

Also they are releasing a Galaxy Player 3.6 at around $150.

2. Bear macrumors G3

So, I'm curious, what do you use to manage and sync music to the Galaxy Player?

I already have all my music in iTunes and I actually like the way it works. And it syncs nicely to my iPod Touch.

3. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Since its an Android device, most likely Windows Explorer/Finder is what you use to manage it. Drag 'n drop, the old fashioned way. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

4. Bear macrumors G3

So a step backwards then?

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

6. BreadedVirus thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Google Music

7. BreadedVirus thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I'm looking forward to external memory, bigger screen, better Bluetooth capability, better file management and flash to name a few.

Yes i like my iTouch, but it can be very limited in some areas compared to the 4.2.

8. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Have fun with it. I love Apple, but I'm no apologist. They definitely did a terrible job with the fourth-generation iPod touch. Slow processor by today's standards, barely any ram. Its a slow and unreliable device.

I'm glad these iPod touch competitors are coming out. Competition is good for everyone. Perhaps we'll see a decently big iPod touch update this year, everyone knows the thing needs it.

9. kaielement macrumors 65816

I used to work at best buy until January of this year. Can tell you we hardly ever sold any of these. They would sit around and gather dust. The only reason if and when we did is because we had a person who hated Apple no matter haw good the product was. So yeah your going to have a few neh sayers so to speak. The only thing going for this is the bigger sreean. But it's huge, thick and it's hard to pull in and out of pockets. Plus android is buggy imo. Any way nice to see some one try to come out with a product like the iPod touch. But until android becomes less buggy and maybe comes out with something thinner and more compact don't see this selling all that well.

10. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Specially memory man. 256 sucks when you jailbreak and wanna have some fun. It starts running scarce as hen's teeth.

I think with those features you list, probably the Galaxy Player would be a great choice.

11. BreadedVirus thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

It's because Samsung admit that they never advertised the product very well.

12. Bear macrumors G3

IS Goggle Music available as a local program on a Mac or Windows box or is it just a website? I did a rather quick web search and didn't find anything about a local app for the Mac. Why should I have to upload music to Google to be able to download it to an Android device?

This seems wasteful.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Hmm...I've never had any problems with my touch, though I use my phone pretty much exclusively now. Isn't the Touch due for a refresh this year?

14. ThisIsRuss macrumors newbie

ThisIsRuss

15. BreadedVirus thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

It's all about choice. I'm sure people running Android devices have no issues with their access to music?

I used to have an Andriod phone and never had any issues with music syncing etc.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've not had problems syncing, but library organization on Android was typically not good. It didn't manage ID3 metatag data very well. Even with meticulously managed ID3 metatag data things like compilation albums weren't handled very well.

17. Bear macrumors G3

I never said there was an issue, I asked a serious question about what you use to sync music and the only 2 responses I got was "drag and drop" as well as "Google Music". Well drag and drop would be a step backwards. And if Google Music is only useable via a website from the Mac, it just makes music management annoying and more complicated.

So if neither answer is correct or is only partially correct, maybe someone could actually answer the question?

Oh to add to that, do you need to use Google Calendar to sync calendars between your Mac and your Android device?

18. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Mine is pretty sluggish. It runs fine until it runs out of ram, which makes it slow to a crawl.

They where supposed to update it last year, but we only got a new color (white) and nothing else. This year should be the big update hopefully. At the very least it needs an A5 and 512MB of ram, maybe more if Apple is being generous.

Also, mine has battery issues, but I'm sure that issue is isolated to my device only.

----------

Well I've never owned an Android device, but my parents have lots and I'm the one who has to fix it for them.

The way I add content to them is through Finder with drag and drop. Is there a better way? I'm not sure. This is the only way I know how to manage them.

About Google Music, that is Google's answer to iTunes Match. So yes, music needs to be uploaded for you to be able to access it via 3G/LTE, just like in iTunes Match. That's how I see it. And yes, I've also added raw MP3s to my parents phones through Finder, so there is that too. Is there a better way to manage Android phones? Again, I'm not sure, but this is how I do it.

About calendars, I'm pretty sure you need to use Google Calendars like you said. I don't think there is any other way to do it.

19. Bear macrumors G3

Thank you for this info. It tells me that I have no interest in getting an Android based device.

20. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

The Galaxy Player will probably come with Samsung's iTunes-like media management/sync program called Kies. It's...not very good.

There are many things wrong with that for many users. iTunes/management way has its own problems but drag&drop isn't ideal for everyone. The best thing about drag&drop is that it allows you to easily copy files from different computers and different devices but if you stick with just a few specific computers, I find a manager application works much better.

21. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Their are tons of ways to sync your music on Android so you're not just limited to one thing like iTunes. One of the best is doubleTwist.

22. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Even on iOS you're not "just limited to one thing like iTunes" since there are alternatives like Copytrans. In fact I think at one point doubleTwist could sync with iPhone and iPod too, although I don't think it supports them anymore.

As much as iTunes is hated by many, I think it's still the best solution if you want the full-blown media manager that does everything. The problem with Android is that the maker-provided software like Kies are even worse. But it's not just Android's problem as I think Nokia's suite software are terrible as well.

23. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

I have everything in my iTunes library on my iPad and iPod in sync on my Galaxy Note with dT. Good stuff.

24. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

While no mobile device that Samsung makes is as good as Apple's because of iOS, it's nice to see some type of competition for the iPod Touch.

25. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Only android powered phones are good, android powered PMP,

meh I'll pass