Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Totally correct. I had every iPhone since version 1. I jumped ship just to get a bigger screen. I bought an Nexus 4 and after using it for roughly a month I couldn't be happier.

That's what happened to me. Way back when I had the 3GS I switched to a Charge because of the screen size and LTE. Used it for a bit than to the Galaxy Nexus and iPhone 5 I have now.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
If you're looking at raw performance, does it really impress?

The benchmark shows that 4 Cores at 1.9 GHz on the S4 is twice as fast as Apple's 2 Cores at 1.3 GHz on the iPhone 5, correct?

What if the S4 had just 2 cores? That means Core vs Core, the "new" chip at 1.9 GHz is the same speed as the "old" chip at 1.3 GHz.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
im an android user but who cares.... it should be faster as it was just released... the iphone 5 is what 7 months old now?

I think you might be missing the point. Apple could have made their A6 faster but chose not too because it was not necessary in order to run iOS 6 and most likely because it would lead to higher battery consumption. So, actually, it should be as fast as necessary, not as fast as possible.

I know Apple comes off as lame with some of their reasons to do or not do things but when they say that specs aren't THAT important, they are very right.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
The Galaxy S 4 has a quad core CPU in the Snapsdragon 600 and each of it's cores are clocked at 1,9Ghz while the dual core Apple Swift CPU in the A6 are clocked at 1,3Ghz. The A6 is already a really fast chip since it smokes the Tegra 3 and is neck to neck with the quad core 1,4Ghz Exynos 4412.

But is anyone here really surprised? It's like comparing a 1,7Ghz dual core i5 to a 3,4Ghz quad core i7.

I say: let's wait for a quad core Apple Swift2 and then we'll talk.

Last edited:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Oh, Jordan. The past doesn't always equal the present or future. Since you've never used an S4 - and who has - how can this statement hold any water. Time will tell whether or not this phone "bests" the iPhone with performance gains.

Maybe, but we have used Android 4.2.2 devices and I have to say, nothing makes four cores feel like a single core more than Android. Maybe this new Samsung chip will finally be fast enough not to notice.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Amazing

And this is coming from a long time iPhone loyalist!

Apple please don't release an iPhone 5S

We want innovation not iteration !
wasnt the 4S 2x the speed of the 4? so, aren't they always much faster.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
That's about what I'd expect; the S III's CPU is a 4-core 1.4GHz and benchmarks in synthetic Geekbench roughly the same as the iPhone 5's 2-core 1.3GHz, but I'm much more interested in seeing real-world benchmark results.

See, despite having roughly equivalent Geekbench performance (which gives you raw CPU capability, although might overly weight things like memory speed), you get tests like these from Barefeats or AnandTech. Barefeats has an S III (running Android 4.0) performing at roughly half the speed of an iPhone 5 in Javascript Sunspider, and 2-3 times better GPU performance. (It was also nearly 4 times faster in Linpack, which seems weird; I assume that's due to some problem with Linpack on Android.)

If you don't trust BareFeats because they're a Mac-centric site (though never one that shies away from showing a Windows box as faster in a head-to-head test), Anandtech certainly isn't, and their benchmark has the iPhone 5 1.6 times faster in Sunspider.

Point being, synthetic performance does not, by any means, equal real-world performance. I do expect the S4 to be faster than the iPhone 5, but I'm not convinced it will be by as much of a margin as Geekbench implies until I see some practical tests.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
No surprise to see a big processor shoehorned into the S4 to make up for the pig of an operating system (Android) that it runs.

guerro

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Benchmarks Nearly Twice as Fast as iPhone 5

And the keyboard still sucks. The keyboard on my work SIII is one of the main reasons I don't give up my iPhone for personal use. What good is a benchmark if the words I type never show up correctly? I can erase the letters and retype faster?? :rolleyes:

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
As a developer, I can back this up. I made a web game that ran smoothly on an iPhone 4, averaging about 30fps, great on an iPhone 5 at 60fps, and like crap on the FOUR core Galaxy S3, at about 20fps.

All fps and no resolution makes chaos86 a dull boy.

Seriously, are you writing for native iPhone resolutions? And the GS4 and other 1080p phones have to do a lot of heavy lifting.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
At the end of the day - it's about real world usage.

Why people are seemingly trying to either discredit or find some rationalization is beyond me.

To date - this phone benchmarks twice as fast as the iPhone 5. Period. If it benchmarked the same or worse people would be bragging on how the iPhone kicks ass.

Stop rationalizing. Wait until their are real reviews/you use one yourself/etc.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
"Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate."

Oh, Jordan. The past doesn't always equal the present or future. Since you've never used an S4 - and who has - how can this statement hold any water. Time will tell whether or not this phone "bests" the iPhone with performance gains.
have you seen the videos of reviewer demoing the phone. The lagging is Painful.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And the keyboard still sucks. The keyboard on my work SIII is one of the main reasons I don't give up my iPhone for personal use. What good is a benchmark if the words I type never show up correctly? I can erase the letters and retype faster?? :rolleyes:

Funny - because SwiftKey Flow is exactly why I use my Skyrocket FAR more than my iPhone.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011

And keyboards? Sounds like a BB user. First, swype and swiftkey are great. But now I just hit the microphone button.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
So... Uh... What about battery life. While running apps requiring that performance?

Unless Samsung is building batteries out of magic dust, that has to be a devastating performance hit and something you really wish to avoid.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
have you seen the videos of reviewer demoing the phone. The lagging is Painful.

Do you realize the software isn't done yet? They still have 1-2 months before the phone is released? Do I realize that they SHOULD have had better software running right now - sure. But as someone wrote on one of the sites - when you pay the kind of money you do to have your keynote at RCMH and everything that goes with it .... you don't delay your product unveiling. You just make sure it does everything it's supposed to when it hits the public. Or yes - you're doomed :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.