Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Darn that smallest is too big. It would be cool if they kept the smaller S11s small and saved super sizing for the Note series. However, they are probably looking at what is popular in their home country.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Seriously after the 10th anniversary this phone needs a new name like Samsung sx sp vr vx...
[automerge]1574252699[/automerge]
Samsung s11 is just plain boring , time for aggressive names. Or just merge the two big guns Note/ s series and call it Samsung SN
If they merge the 2 devices, "Samsung S with a pen" is their only naming option.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
The merge is inevitable sooner or later. The cost and overheads launching 2 major flagships in 12 months is catching up with the profit.

Reactions: jamezr

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
So the S11 is turning out to be one heckuva upgrade.

1st) Samsung's 2nd gen 108MP sensor.
2nd) 8K at 30fps video recording

And now, Ice Universe as well as Max Weinbach, tweeted the S11 will have a 120hz display. Most people were wondering why Samsung gave the Chinese OEMs their 108MP sensor and 90hz display. We now see, they were saving the 2nd gen 108MP sensor and next gen OLED with 120hz for themselves. With all this becoming more and more a certainty, the Note 11+ will be a definite get for me.

Capture.JPG

Then today's tweet:

Capture2.JPG

And Ice Universe's tweet on the 120hz display. They fist found these settings in the Korean One UI 2.0 Beta. Ice Universe got the Chinese version that he posted and translated.

Capture4.JPG

Which translates to:

Capture3.JPG

Last edited:

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I just hope Samsung ups its photo post-processing game... make it akin (or better) to the Pixel 4 and iPhone 11 series.

While improved software is always welcome, I'll take Samsung's current image processing as it is on the Note 10+ and the new 2nd gen 108MB camera sensor with 5x Opticle zoom, over any current 12MP sensor and processing of any other phone. Image quality, is in the eye of the beholder. So while software can always be improved after purchase, hardware cannot. I think people, specifically YouTubers and tech enthusiasts, tend exaggerate the image quality differences of all the top teir phones. In fact, if you take any pic from any of the top phones, and put them on display, you won't have one person saying its a bad pic. The average person doesn't sit there scrutinizing the small differences in detail in the shadows or the blowout of the highlights. I don't even do that, and people consider me picky. Even so, we have the so called professionals not even agreeing what phone has the best image quality. My ridiculous old S7 Edge takes pics just fine. So I say, for me, give me the 108MP sensor and I'll enjoy the extra detail and flexibility it gives me for cropping. I constantly see people using their pics as their wallpaper. And many times, those pics look slightly blurry, It's all because they cropped a pic that wasn't initially taken to be used as their phones wallpaper. 108MP fixes the issue many people have when cropping a pic later. But to your point about software, yes, I agree, better software is always welcome.

Reactions: 5105973

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Fancy specs are all well and good, but if you don't utilise them properly, what's the point? Samsung phones lag behind with accurate skin tones/details on people.

But there's more to image quality, than how accurate the colours are. And again, it's not like the colour accuracy is so far off that it makes a difference to most. If you feel the lack of accuracy is so massive, that it's a deal breaker, then that's your opinion. And you're entitled to it, but don't speak as if it's the end all be all opinion. Or assume the upcoming 108 MP sensor won't be used properly. People have their own preferences, I feel the image processing on my Note 10+ is beyond acceptable, as do many others, including professionals. We all have our preferences on what makes makes up a good pic. For instance, just as an anolgy to my preference for more MP count. I'll take an 85 inch TV with great picture quality and great color accuracy, over a 42 inch TV with exceptional quality and exceptional colour accuracy. That extra real estate, is a lot more useful to me, and I would argue, to most, than the slightly better colour accuracy of the smaller TV.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
But there's more to image quality, than how accurate the colours are. And again, it's not like the colour accuracy is so far off that it makes a difference to most. If you feel the lack of accuracy is so massive, that it's a deal breaker, then that's your opinion. And you're entitled to it, but don't speak as if it's the end all be all opinion. Or assume the upcoming 108 MP sensor won't be used properly. People have their own preferences, I feel the image processing on my Note 10+ is beyond acceptable, as do many others, including professionals. We all have our preferences on what makes makes up a good pic. For instance, just as an anolgy to my preference for more MP count. I'll take an 85 inch TV with great picture quality and great color accuracy, over a 42 inch TV with exceptional quality and exceptional colour accuracy. That extra real estate, is a lot more useful to me, and I would argue, to most, than the slightly better colour accuracy of the smaller TV.
I didn't say it wouldn't. I said if. Neither did I say anything about the difference being so massive or deal breaker. I own and love the Note 10+. But there's still no denying Samsung overdo it with smoothing skin tones, they're well known for it. They can easily give us the option to fully turn it off but they don't.

I gave my simple, honest opinions. No idea why you're suggesting they're the "end all be all opinion".

And why are you comparing a 42" TV to an 85" TV? That makes no sense.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I have to hold off on the s11+ because the Note 11 will be a monster next year.

How so you think? I think the 10+ is pretty much about as monster as a device can get, maybe an updated CPU, battery and perhaps ram and camera. Incremental upgrade to a monster :)

Also been hearing rumors of the lines merging.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
How so you think? I think the 10+ is pretty much about as monster as a device can get, maybe an updated CPU, battery and perhaps ram and camera. Incremental upgrade to a monster :)

Also been hearing rumors of the lines merging.
The S11+ is looking to be a big upgrade over the S10+. By all accounts, the camera & cpu capabilities are far from incremental. So it stands to reason the same will apply to the Note.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I'm will cry if Samsung don't offer a flat screen version of their flagships next year. I'm honestly appalled that curved screens have become so mainstream that noone even mentions the fact anymore.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
I'm will cry if Samsung don't offer a flat screen version of their flagships next year. I'm honestly appalled that curved screens have become so

Samsung will never ditch something that made its phones unique and the most successful, noticeably on Note 7.

But.....Samsung is making deadly mistakes by producing two major flagships with almost the same features, looks and power.

Curved screen doesn't suit Note series at all. A Note should have a broad shoulder with a very flat screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.