Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Ok..had a good look all variants. The sky blue and pink not attractive, especially the pink. Its the worse pink you can have on a phone. Even the grey was bit disappointing, it doesn't look like on youtube or pics.

The ultra black is basically a curved Note 10+ but noticeably thicker. For me ,Note 10+ looks better but looks is not a big deal for many.

This year trade in is really bad and the bonus you get is Galaxy buds if you pre order.

So overall nothing made me happy this time comparing to Note10+ 's trade in , bonuses and all. Glad i got Note 10+ six months ago.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I love watching the S releases and all but the last S model I had was the S7 Edge, and only because of the Note 7 disaster, otherwise I've had every Note since the Note 3.

The S models have been more compelling last year and this year.

Looks like an amazing phone, the future of the Note looks strong this year.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I love watching the S releases and all but the last S model I had was the S7 Edge, and only because of the Note 7 disaster, otherwise I've had every Note since the Note 3.

The S models have been more compelling last year and this year.

Looks like an amazing phone, the future of the Note looks strong this year.
I’m waiting on the note because that’s the one I’m interested in ultimately. However the ultra is so tempting. I need to see some camera reviews.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I just went to a store with the S20 phone which had the phones on a demo table.

For real, that S20 Ultra looks like it has a mini smartphone attached on the back of the phone. That camera bump sticks heavily on the back
Imho it looks utterly ugly and you probally need a massive fat case to cover that mini-smartphone on the back ;)

the camera bump on my 11 Pro is almost non existant compared to the massive bump of the S20 Ultra.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Imho it looks utterly ugly

It felt taller with narrowed screen, so that was bit of a turn off too. Sorry S20 buyers we're just being honest. After all the beauty is in the eyes of beholder. If i see the real one's i might like'm.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
DAC18760-EB80-4C0C-BFBA-5495B20FCABA.jpeg

[automerge]1581678925[/automerge]
It felt taller with narrowed screen, so that was bit of a turn off too. Sorry S20 buyers we're just being honest. After all the beauty is in the eyes of beholder. If i see the real one's i might like'm.
I haven’t seen it yet. They don’t usually have display models until closer to the release date in the U.K.

Reactions: jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I did find I'm really happy on the iPhone 11Pro despite feeling cramped back when I had an iphone X, which is the same size as an 11Pro. As years change I find my needs and preferences vary. It's weird how much they can vary.

I can relate... when the iPhone X was released, i was really pleased with the size while coming from the iPhone 7 Plus. I had my mind up that on future releases if Apple decided to keep the specs the same on the small and big premium offering, I’ll stay with the small model.

I initially always gravitated toward the big phones with purchases of the plus size iPhone models. But I think on the Note... it’s always best to go larger due to the option of SplitScreen apps.

Reactions: 5105973

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The issue is Samsung added battery but you’re not going to get much better battery life. They added it to keep battery life essentially the same.

The 120hz screen is garbage. It only works at HD. At full resolution you are back to 60hz.

Lol what a ridiculous post. The 120hz screen is garbage? Just about every reviewer in their first hands on said it's the best screen on any smartphone. You have the option to go 120hz at full HD or 60hz at QHD. The difference between the two from a resolution standpoint is not even noticeable by most people. Funny, I see in previous posts you praising the newest iPhone screens. Yet this display is superior in just about every way.

You saying the battery won't get any better is based on what exactly since nobody has posted a review yet?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Lol what a ridiculous post. The 120hz screen is garbage? Just about every reviewer in their first hands on said it's the best screen on any smartphone. You have the option to go 120hz at full HD or 60hz at QHD. The difference between the two from a resolution standpoint is not even noticeable by most people. Funny, I see in previous posts you praising the newest iPhone screens. Yet this display is superior in just about every way.

You saying the battery won't get any better is based on what exactly since nobody has posted a review yet?

I think the battery could be on par or worse if 120HZ was on FHD all the time but having it on HD is smart as I think it will avoid overheating and battery life.

I want the 12 pro to have 120HZ and to be honest that means more than having better resolution

Reactions: Awesomesince86

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I think the battery could be on par or worse if 120HZ was on FHD all the time but having it on HD is smart as I think it will avoid overheating and battery life.

I want the 12 pro to have 120HZ and to be honest that means more than having better resolution
I don't expect the battery life to be any worse than the S10 models. They battery is clearly to compensate for high refresh. But we don't know until reviews and tests come out. But these batteries are huge so saying they'll be bad is an odd comment. I find it hard to believe the Ultra will have bad battery life with a 5000 mAh battery.

And I agree regarding high refresh. Its the biggest game changing in cell phones right now. Feels so much better.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't expect the battery life to be any worse than the S10 models. They battery is clearly to compensate for high refresh. But we don't know until reviews and tests come out. But these batteries are huge so saying they'll be bad is an odd comment. I find it hard to believe the Ultra will have bad battery life with a 5000 mAh battery.

And I agree regarding high refresh. Its the biggest game changing in cell phones right now. Feels so much better.

I agree with the size of the battery it should be all day battery like what the iphone pro max currently is. Should be near that level but it depends what chip and where. As I believe the US units battery life was far better than the ones we got in the UK for the s10 plus at least

120HZ should be standard now and I think it’s noticeable using a 60HZ display. I mean pro motion on the ipad is great and would miss not having that so I hope apple do bring it out this year which is expected.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Quick question!
I'm tempted, but really going to miss the headphone jack as always like to keep a pair if wired headphones in my workbag inace I forget the wireless ones.

Is there an adaptor that would allow you to use wired headphones?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Quick question!
I'm tempted, but really going to miss the headphone jack as always like to keep a pair if wired headphones in my workbag inace I forget the wireless ones.

Is there an adaptor that would allow you to use wired headphones?
I think they come with a nice pair of USB-C earbuds. I do have an adaptor as well, but I forget where I got it from. It might have come with my Note. On the US Samsung site they sell a well rated adaptor for $14 USD.

Reactions: Dave.UK

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
I agree with the size of the battery it should be all day battery like what the iphone pro max currently is. Should be near that level but it depends what chip and where. As I believe the US units battery life was far better than the ones we got in the UK for the s10 plus at least

120HZ should be standard now and I think it’s noticeable using a 60HZ display. I mean pro motion on the ipad is great and would miss not having that so I hope apple do bring it out this year which is expected.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max is more than all day battery life.

Samsung will always give the biggest battery but ends up to have almost the same but over the years lower battery life than the iPhone.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Samsung will always give the biggest battery but ends up to have almost the same but over the years lower battery life than the iPhone.
The unfortunate use of Android.. and adding so many features on top of that. But the speedy battery charge... makes up for it.

But I wonder does that have a negative effect on the battery... being able to charge it that quickly?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The unfortunate use of Android.. and adding so many features on top of that. But the speedy battery charge... makes up for it.

But I wonder does that have a negative effect on the battery... being able to charge it that quickly?

Yes it does. How much is the uncertain part.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Not true.....I have the 11 Pro max and the Note 10+ for while and they both had about the same battery life

Reactions: Healer Flame

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I think if you upgrade your phone every year it won't make a huge difference but if you keep It for a longer period of time then the battery would get worse over time for sure. I have charged with a wire like twice on my 11 pro max I normally only wirelessly charge and even some nights I don't need to charge every night.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
I’ve ordered the Grey S20 Ultra, it must be an absolutely huge phone though as they had a live store demo of the S20 Plus in Carphone Warehouse today and it was a big phone!

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.