Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Wow, you are kidding right, the S7 takes the more realistic pics imo. I cant even believe there are people in this thread still trying to say the iPhone is the better camera in any way. The iPhone shots lack contrast and are clearly not letting enough light though in the low light shots. Also when you have a pro mode you can control exactly how you want the picture to look, something the iPhone just cant do.
I didn't say that the iPhone has a better camera. I just said that it tends to take more realistic shots. However realistic shots don't make you go wow. The Samsung cameras on the other hand do.

Reactions: I7guy

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I didn't say that the iPhone has a better camera. I just said that it tends to take more realistic shots. However realistic shots don't make you go wow. The Samsung cameras on the other hand do.

Don't know what you're looking at but sky and skin tones on iPhones are always oversaturated and off.

iPhone 6s Plus (have never seen sky this blue/purple)
camera-sample-iphone-6s-plus-8.jpg

Galaxy Note S7
camera-sample-galaxy-s7-8.jpg

Or, skin tone that looks overbaked with a case of hepatitus.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Seeing is believing.I can formulate my opinion seeing videos

I stopped reading when the guy had the audacity to say

THIS (6s)

6s-plus-lowlight-portrait.JPG

Was better than (S7)

galaxy-s7-dusk-portrait.jpg

That article even on an Apple site has gotten 34 downvotes and ridicule everywhere.Its trash

Just a question that only the person who took the picture can answer:

Which of these pictures was the actual reflection of light situation on the scene? Did your eyes see a light situation similar to the S7e pic or the 6s pic?

Reactions: I7guy

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Oh I do....i also have the 6s+ and S7 edge. They are leaps apart in quality. How is the camera 2 years old? Apple said they improved the camera in the 6s over the 6 line.
Evan last years Galaxy line beat the 6s....
I too, speak from personal ongoing experience with both phones. Ironically how well the camera performs is a very low priority for me since I don't use my smartphones camera very much anyway.

As such, the superiority of Samsungs photos are even more noticeable to me. I just snap the picture, without any painstaking effort to compose it, and the Galaxy photos always stand out as exceptional.

iPhone photos, even those taken with my 6S Plus are just average. And that's not bad!

Why Apple excuse makers feel compelled to go to Apple's defense claiming it's a old camera or whatever other excuse they offer up... is revealing of the emotional connection they have to Apple. Why get so serious and defensive...

Reactions: jamezr

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Just a question that only the person who took the picture can answer:

Which of these pictures was the actual reflection of light situation on the scene? Did your eyes see a light situation similar to the S7e pic or the 6s pic?

Having lots of camera gadgets and playing with them during years i can tell you that the exposure (for the foreground) is wrong in the picture taken by iphone. On that level of the sky brightness, the person is way too dark.

Neither the picture taken with S7 is correct either. The question is more like, would you like to see something on the picture or just shadows. I think most of the people would like to see the object rather than just the background.

And because we are talking about phones i quess the hdr-mode didnt turn on (or it was turned off) in iphone while the hdr-mode is on in s7.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Both pictures are pretty rubbish but the one from the S7 appears better with the exposure ramped up. It could be possible that the person taking the picture with the iPhone could have improved it by tapping on the foreground to change the focal point. This would have made the girl appear lighter as the background is much brighter than the foreground.

There is no point arguing over which is better. No doubt the S7 takes a better photo but they are phones at the end of the day. My iPhone 6 takes a pretty good photograph, but I don't loose sleep thinking there might be a better camera on a rival brand. Get real.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
All but imore :p
Lol!

Some of their articles can be informative, I just wish they could be a bit more objective and generally passionate about tech the way their sister sites are. You already know what you're gonna find from Rene the moment a new phone comes out... A plethora of articles about an iPhone that wont be out for close to 8 months and all the things wrong about competitors (even if completely fabricated).

I still can't get over his comment about not trusting Samsung with his fingerprint because they didn't align the USB port. It was obviously an engineering decision.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think the iPhone needs external storage considering that you can get it in up to 128GB. There are also rumours that the iPhone 7 may even be offered with 256GB internal storage. People need to buy the storage that they need. If 16GB is not enough then don't buy it. I'm sure that the 7 will have a better camera and it had been rumoured to be water resistant. I very much doubt that it will get an oled screen or that ios10 will allow users to set default apps.
[doublepost=1458469278][/doublepost]
I think the point Rene was trying to make was that the iPhone was able to capture the background better whereas the S7 was able to capture the foreground better. However whilst that maybe true the 6S could never win as the main purpose of the shot should be to capture the subject (Serenity) which the S7 clearly did a lot better. It's not much good capturing the background to the extend that the main subject in the picture cannot be seen very well.
Which basically translates into that anything can be rationalized when bias is introduced. Nothing new, we do it everyday. Lol.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Im sorry Rene is stuck in the biggest reality distortion field i have ever seen. Its not just this, its everything..
Comments like "iPhone is the best google phone". He is ridiculous. I have a 6 Plus but i can see that Samsung has the best cameras at the moment. The picture with the women not visible on iphone yet Rene claims its better is hysterical.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
well, Rene is Rene... just dont except anything else.

it's funny how you can almost predict the content of the article just by seeing who is the author.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
DED articles on Apple Insider are just as crazy. But what's even more shocking are his followers. They hang on his every word. Seriously, it's like a cult over there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klyster and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
DED articles on Apple Insider are just as crazy. But what's even more shocking are his followers. They hang on his every word. Seriously, it's like a cult over there.
It is like a cult over there on apple insider. They all have a very narrow funnel of information they want to see and discuss. It it doesn't fit their narrow POV...it gets dismissed by them.

Reactions: Sevanw

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
You already know what you're gonna find from Rene the moment a new phone comes out... A plethora of articles about an iPhone that wont be out for close to 8 months and all the things wrong about competitors (even if completely fabricated).

I still can't get over his comment about not trusting Samsung with his fingerprint because they didn't align the USB port. It was obviously an engineering decision.

Lol I honestly can't take Rene Ritchie seriously. He's the personification of biased fanboy. Literally Samsung could release Galaxy S8 that actually prints real money vs an iPhone 3G that doesn't even come on, and Rene would still come up with some random ass reason the iPhone is better. Dude is biased as hell

Reactions: Sevanw and jamezr

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Here's the deal with Rene, if your looking for a good comparison with another handset he's not the one that will give it you because he whole heartedly prefers an iPhone and ios over anything else.

But what he's really good at is explaining why he thinks apple is better and why apple does certain things the way they do them. So if your looking for good insight into the world of apple, he is great and probably my go to.

Reactions: nj1266

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Here's the deal with Rene, if your looking for a good comparison with another handset he's not the one that will give it you because he whole heartedly prefers an iPhone and ios over anything else.

But what he's really good at is explaining why he thinks apple is better and why apple does certain things the way they do them. So if your looking for good insight into the world of apple, he is great and probably my go to.
I get that but his rationalizations are so off the wall sometimes that they can't and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

lol.He sucks even at that.He moronically keeps insinuating the bottom of the S7 design speaker and the charging port dont line up when its a fact that its done that way for waterproofing.He completely forgets that the iPhone camera is also not symmetrical at all as well

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
lol.He sucks even at that.He moronically keeps insinuating the bottom of the S7 design speaker and the charging port dont line up when its a fact that its done that way for waterproofing.He completely forgets that the iPhone camera is also not symmetrical at all as well
If you actually listened to what he says, he talked about how he has spoken to Apple about the ports lining up. And the reason why they line up on the iPhone and not the S7/S6 has nothing to do with water proofing, it's because apple is so anal about those ports lining up that they actually have those parts custom made so they sit symmetrical in the casing while Samsung uses off the shelf parts.

But if all your looking for is his opinion on other handsets, just know he will think the iPhone is better.

Reactions: nj1266 and tbayrgs

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I get that but his rationalizations are so off the wall sometimes that they can't and shouldn't be taken seriously.
If your talking about his opinion, then yes you will never agree with him, his opinion is so skewed it's funny sometimes. But when he's actually giving out information, as in facts not opinion, he does a really good job of giving a clear picture of what's going on. Sure he then takes those facts and forms a biased opinion that you may not agree with, but as an informed person you can take those facts too, learn something, and make your own opinion on the matter.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
He is the reason I stopped listening to Macbreak Weekly, he is the absolute worst

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
If your talking about his opinion, then yes you will never agree with him, his opinion is so skewed it's funny sometimes. But when he's actually giving out information, as in facts not opinion, he does a really good job of giving a clear picture of what's going on. Sure he then takes those facts and forms a biased opinion that you may not agree with, but as an informed person you can take those facts too, learn something, and make your own opinion on the matter.
I don't disagree with you but the way he composes his articles makes his rhetoric indistinguishable from fact to the general public.

I will say this though, from an online business standpoint where revenue is driven through views, he's a cash cow because he draws people in from both sides of the fence. I myself find it hard not to look at his articles because I want to see what nonsense he is spewing next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.