Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
3 Days of battery life with an always on screen??
I don't use the always on screen, and never really have on any watch with the option. I'm sure it would lessen the battery life, but I don't find it that useful. The raise to wake geasture if sufficient for me.

Multiday battery life isn't important to me from the stand point of using it for multiple days without charging (though not needing to pack a charger for an overnight trip is night). I find watches too uncomfortable to sleep with, so charging overnight isn't an inconvenience.

Multiday battery life to me means that I can get up a 5am, go for a lengthy run, and use the watch until 12 am and still have plenty room to spare. Not having to worry about the battery only heavy days, or weekend trips is nice.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Looking at Samsungs website I see that it gives a choice of unlocked or carrier selection.
I have Sprint, so If i were to get the S8 would it be better to just get it unlocked?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I love my gear S3. My only complaint is that it's Bluetooth range isn't nearly as strong as the Apple watch. I lose connection sometimes within my own house.

Another complaint I have is that Tizen 3 has been "coming" for how long now?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I highly doubt it, though I'd hardly say Samsung lacks competent developers. There has to be something else to this, like Tizen not getting the focus it deserves.

I'm sure Samsung does indeed have competent developers, but the evidence suggests they haven't been working on Tizen. Such an amount of rookie mistakes in even relatively new Tizen code gives the impression that the developers working on Tizen so far have issues with their competence and/or attitude.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Off topic;

IMO there should be zero reason any S8's are locked down, and stuffed with carrier bloatware. I can't stand this Snapdragon vs Exynos crap. Samsung doesn't need to do this anymore.

Samsung and the Galaxy name are very popular in the smartphone world, they can pull an Apple at this point, and just make the phone all the same worldwide, no bloat, no specific carrier versions, just one standard unlocked Galaxy S8 across the world, just like Apple with the iPhone 7. With the only minor difference lets say being the radios ONLY.

Why does Samsung still need to bow down to U.S. carriers and put Verizon apps or ATT crap on them ? They should make all Galaxy S8's just like the international version = clean, unlocked, and no bloat, and make that be the standard, and only one available. Just like the iPhone and Google's Pixel.

Reactions: slitherjef

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Off topic;

IMO there should be zero reason any S8's are locked down, and stuffed with carrier bloatware. I can't stand this Snapdragon vs Exynos crap. Samsung doesn't need to do this anymore.

Samsung and the Galaxy name are very popular in the smartphone world, they can pull an Apple at this point, and just make the phone all the same worldwide, no bloat, no specific carrier versions, just one standard unlocked Galaxy S8 across the world, just like Apple with the iPhone 7. With the only minor difference lets say being the radios ONLY.

Why does Samsung still need to bow down to U.S. carriers and put Verizon apps or ATT crap on them ? They should make all Galaxy S8's just like the international version = clean, unlocked, and no bloat, and make that be the standard, and only one available. Just like the iPhone and Google's Pixel.

Well, they seem to have no power to bring Exynos over if Qualcomm is actually refusing to license their IP as Samsung is saying.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The s3 is very underestimated in these forums, and by reviews that predated some significant software/ fitness tracking upgrades.

This watch tracks my runs as well as my Garmin 235, including cadence, etc. I also can get 3 days of battery life, with 1.5 hours or so if running included. Honestly, I just charge the watch when I shower, and can go almost a week without needing to worry about it.

It's a great watch, and it's better than it was on release. I bought and returned one months ago, but ended up getting a other one more recently. I love it.

I find it like is a smidge better than my Apple watch Nike edition I had before selling my 7s plus.

I get about 2 days with my S3 ( LTE ) with AOD prior to charging @ around 10-15% left..

No complaints and it's leagues better than my teeny 42mm S2 SS AW!
[doublepost=1495493108][/doublepost]
I hope the delay is due to a massive rewrite, done by competent developers this time. https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175124/samsung-tizen-security-vulnerabilities-issues-flaws

I've stopped using Sam Pay on my S3 due to some security loopholes ..so yeah, Sammy needs to really work on Tizen! Other than that, I'm quite happy with what it does..
[doublepost=1495493323][/doublepost]
I just got my S8. I love it. It's what's going to keep me on Android now.

It's a work of art! I picked my 7+ yesterday (~ a month with the S8+ ) and after 2 hrs..slapped the sim right back in the S8+ .. The iPhone, for me, felt like a steep downgrade in both form and function!!

Once I get the S8+ unlocked from TMO, the iPhone goes on sale..( I have the Verizon 7+ which I use for Int'l travel )

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Off topic;

This is not true Apple also have variants, they have to comply with different telecom rules in different countries just like Samsung. eg middle east iPhones although unlocked do not have FaceTime for example even if you take them to US and put a local sim in etc, FaceTime will not re-appear

Why do you think IPhone warranties are not fully international like MAC's as part of the reason is that certain home country regulations could be breached if it was repaired elsewhere and some repairs have to be returned to origin

Samsung's problem in the US is just more in your face that's all.

Similarly with App stores you will be surprised what's blocked in different countries let alone content

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Wait. Is this a thing that's really happening or is this a wish?

There's an idea that VoLTE will replace traditional Cellular over time. Verizon indicated at one point that once they get a coast to coast LTE network in all markets they would push for LTE only phones and ditch CDMA.

Might happen one day. CDMA needs to die.

Reactions: jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
There's an idea that VoLTE will replace traditional Cellular over time. Verizon indicated at one point that once they get a coast to coast LTE network in all markets they would push for LTE only phones and ditch CDMA.

Might happen one day. CDMA needs to die.

If that happens, Qualcomm is screwed.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If that happens, Qualcomm is screwed.

Qualcomm needs the shake up. It ultimately would be better for the industry.

Qualcomm has had a licensing stranglehold on CDMA since forever. Only now is it becoming clear how much of a pain in the ass it is for device makers.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Off topic;

My international Note 5 had some bloat, not a lot but it did have some

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Qualcomm needs the shake up. It ultimately would be better for the industry.

Qualcomm has had a licensing stranglehold on CDMA since forever. Only now is it becoming clear how much of a pain in the ass it is for device makers.

Imagine a world where Snapdragon had to evolve or die.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well, this is a thing.

Screenshot_20170522-214423.png

SapperMike

macrumors member
May 22, 2017
Bow
Will Android ever support badge counts for app like gmail, outlook, etc? I moved from a iPhone 7 to a Galaxy S8 a few days ago. I have been away from Android for a while so I am learning all of the new stuff.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Will Android ever support badge counts for app like gmail, outlook, etc? I moved from a iPhone 7 to a Galaxy S8 a few days ago. I have been away from Android for a while so I am learning all of the new stuff.

I doubt native, but there's an app for that.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Which app do you recommend? I used Tesla Unread in Nova Launcher but I really like the Touch wiz interface and was planning on not using a launcher.

That's all I know about. You can make Nova look like the TW Launcher with an incon pack, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.