Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm not a fan of curved screens for the simple reason that glass screen protectors don't work well with them.

Putting a film protector instead of glass is a less durable alternative.

I hear this a lot but my S6 Edge has a screen protector that is absolutely awesome, maybe the best one I've ever used. It's made by Zagg.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Another Samsung will never be a sell for me until they leave Android. I don't care what it looks like. Samsung's software skin and optimization sucks. Focus on Tizen. Google needs to create another OS to use exclusively for themselves. I hardly call Google having an ecosystem when most of their best apps are found on other platforms or you can access using their services using a mobile browser. Android users aren't really stuck.

Take away the battery recall, and the Note7 should NOT act laggy, stutter, and hiccup the moment you get the phone. This shouldn't be like iPhone about four years later like the lag iPhone 5 users are experiencing with iOS10. The root of the evil is in the software. Google's oil don't mix with Samsung's vinegar. So I really could care less if the S8 has 4K (PenTile as usual) and the dual edge (cosmetic gimmick) becomes standard and drop the edge moniker.

Project Dream? It better be a dream after the Note7 nightmare. Until Samsung keeps their skin as light as Motorola and Sony, they will never learn their lesson with laggy software. S8 and Note8 will be plagued with it too.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't foresee Samsung having Tizen ready -- meaning, better than TouchWiz/Android -- anytime soon.

Reactions: MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't foresee Samsung having Tizen ready -- meaning, better than TouchWiz/Android -- anytime soon.

I think Tizen is already pretty much together. I bought a Z2 from craigslist at $50 not to long ago, and Tizen was pretty damn smooth and had basically most of the features TW has. I'll say on a higher end phone, Samsung could make a Tizen shine. All Tizen needs is apps, I'm not going to settle for android app compatibly.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think Tizen is already pretty much together. I bought a Z2 from craigslist at $50 not to long ago, and Tizen was pretty damn smooth and had basically most of the features TW has. I'll say on a higher end phone, Samsung could make a Tizen shine. All Tizen needs is apps, I'm not going to settle for android app compatibly.

Interesting... then maybe it's not as far off as I thought. However, yea... the apps.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
. All Tizen needs is apps, I'm not going to settle for android app compatibly.

And that will be the biggest hurdle as without market share getting developers to create alternative versions of their apps optimised specifically for the platform will remain a challenge, look at Blackberry and Windows mobile situation.

If they can make Android apps run natively within Tizen, that would be a good compromise - though I would imagine Samsung would want to take full control of its App Store on Tizen.

Did the Tizen handset have anything other than Samsung's own store ? I assume there was no Google Play Store ?

Reactions: jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
And that will be the biggest hurdle as without market share getting developers to create alternative versions of their apps optimised specifically for the platform will remain a challenge, look at Blackberry and Windows mobile situation.

I think if anyone outside of Apple and Google can do it, Samsung can. So I'm not too pessimistic about it. They have already proven they can get the big names and services. Google services would be a huge question mark though.

If they can make Android apps run natively within Tizen, that would be a good compromise - though I would imagine Samsung would want to take full control of its App Store on Tizen.

This is something I want to avoid. The Android app compatibility on BB was subpar at best.

Did the Tizen handset have anything other than Samsung's own store ? I assume there was no Google Play Store ?

No Google Play store. It did have two apps stores, One was Samsung apps, and another was some India app store that I couldn't change the language to figure it out.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
With the refined edge panel from the Note 7, this should help mitigate concerns about using edge screens. And who knows, perhaps Samsung will refine it even more. Where they can also help is by refining the software -- if the software can get even smarter about recognizing false palm touches and whatnot, it'll be all the better. Once acclimated, I have little to no issue using my S7 Edge. Having said that, I certainly understand people's concerns about usability. I said in another thread, as Samsung refines the hardware/software, it'll only get better and easier to use.

Also... can you imagine a 5.2" screen with edge panels? Imagine the footprint that'll be. The device will feel so small compared to the competition that I think one handed use -- even with an edge panel -- will be glorious.

I personally can't wait. My one fear, though, is that now that the standard S8 will resemble the larger S8 Edge more than ever before, that Samsung may follow Apple and differentiate the larger model by keeping camera features exclusive to it. I still hope both models will sport the same exact camera. Don't follow Apple in this aspect, please. This is one thing I hate about Apple's offering. To get the latest camera advantages from Apple, you have to fork over the extra money and deal with a much larger phablet.
I dont want to fork over extra money for an Edge either. I'd just prefer the choice as i dont feel the edge is a must have thing. As for Apple....yeah, thats their M.O. and why i just avoid their phones. Lacking features and dont offer the same camera fr the smaller phone. Just bad customer PR by not offering the better camera for both but thats how they roll and why i dont follow them anymore. They been doing it for years.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I dont want to fork over extra money for an Edge either. I'd just prefer the choice as i dont feel the edge is a must have thing. As for Apple....yeah, thats their M.O. and why i just avoid their phones. Lacking features and dont offer the same camera fr the smaller phone. Just bad customer PR by not offering the better camera for both but thats how they roll and why i dont follow them anymore. They been doing it for years.

I think if the edge screen panels make it to both models, the smaller model will probably still stay at the same price category as the standard S7 now, right? Something in that $650 range.

I suppose a price bump could happen, too. Hopefully not.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I suppose a price bump could happen, too. Hopefully not.

Samsung do need to up profit margin on their flagship (they tried with Samsung SDI to do that through manufacturing). Now because of the mammoth $$ hit this year it wouldn't surprise me to see a $50-100 rise across their flagship line next year. Though like Apple, price hikes could be disproportionate depending on country / region (so European customers hit harder than USA customers) ....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Samsung do need to up profit margin on their flagship (they tried with Samsung SDI to do that through manufacturing). Now because of the mammoth $$ hit this year it wouldn't surprise me to see a $50-100 rise across their flagship line next year. Though like Apple, price hikes could be disproportionate depending on country / region (so European customers hit harder than USA customers) ....

Yeah, definitely could happen in light of the Note 7 recall costs.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Glass. They won't lose wireless charging. The big news on design will be the front bezel getting even more eliminated. Integrated touch home button under the display type stuff. The back will be mostly the same but with dual cameras. Maybe some other subtle changes.

Probably no head phones jack.

I hope they figure out a way for front dual speakers.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
So why do they produce some with Snapdragon and others with the Exynos? I am curious to see where they go with the camera tech, Samsung has been hitting it out of the park the past couple years. I am also wondering what happens on the battery front, I wonder if Samsung could release a metal phone but with a battery that can pop out like the sim tray does. Als9, phones are thin enough Imogen, I don't know anyone clamoring for thinner than we have now

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So why do they produce some with Snapdragon and others with the Exynos? I am curious to see where they go with the camera tech, Samsung has been hitting it out of the park the past couple years. I am also wondering what happens on the battery front, I wonder if Samsung could release a metal phone but with a battery that can pop out like the sim tray does. Als9, phones are thin enough Imogen, I don't know anyone clamoring for thinner than we have now

I believe (what I read) it's to do with the CMDA modem required by some of your USA carriers and a patent owned by Qualcomm which means if they use exynos they have to pay a royalty to QC regardless.

Perhaps QC offer a deal such as buy your SOC from us and we will waive the royalty license for the modem tech.

I do think Samsung's exynos is the better chip.

Re : slimmer, yes as the Moto Z proves, slimmer comes at the cost of bigger camera humps (if we still want great camera) smaller battery and loss of ports .. to me thinner isn't better.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
We've seen Samsung come back with amazing things when their sales hurt. It'll be great to see how they bounce back.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-slick-design-improved-camera-enhanced-ai-service

Galaxy S8 to feature a slick design, improved camera, and an enhanced AI service

Quite excited about this, too. Finally we're moving away from buttons.

Galaxy S8 will be the first smartphone with optical fingerprint recognition

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/10/26...rtphone-with-optical-fingerprint-recognition/

I wonder what that means for the capacitive buttons on the sides...

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We've seen Samsung come back with amazing things when their sales hurt. It'll be great to see how they bounce back.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-slick-design-improved-camera-enhanced-ai-service

Galaxy S8 to feature a slick design, improved camera, and an enhanced AI service

Quite excited about this, too. Finally we're moving away from buttons.

Galaxy S8 will be the first smartphone with optical fingerprint recognition

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/10/26...rtphone-with-optical-fingerprint-recognition/

I wonder what that means for the capacitive buttons on the sides...

To be honest this irks me. Why ?

Well here we have an example of Samsung essentially 'wasting' resources on an new AI when surely it would be more cost affective to utilise Google Assistant and make sure all Samsung's apps are updated with GA's api's.

No matter how improved the new Samsung AI assistant will be compared to S-Voice, it isn't going to be as good as GA and in most cases users will simply do what they always do .. remove it or disable it as they will not want TWO services on their devices doing essentially same thing.

Samsung need to drop the duplication of TW. Tone it back and use those resources and developments into areas such as better and quicker OS updates.

Unifying OS updates throughout its flagship devices so that they all get quick updates to the latest GUI changes and such.

But no, that would be common sense, instead Samsung do what they always seem to do and waste not only their resources but inevitably the resources on the device, as duplicate apps and services invariably impact ram usage and system usage.

Samsung get the hardware mostly right (trying to expunge the Note 7 fiasco from that statement) but generally always mess up software wise to some lesser or greater extent.

I'm hoping the success of the Google Pixel will show Samsung they don't need to waste resources.

Give us a S7/S7e with usual generational improvements but on top of a clean OS and make Touchwiz working like any third party launcher - so we keep TW themes and general look, but without the years and years of legacy Gluck that still makes up the bones TW today

Stop making half baked alternatives to solutions already baked in or offered in Android and deliver us speedy OS updates.

Please Samsung ... please !

Last edited:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012

Well here we have an example of Samsung essentially 'wasting' resources on an new AI when surely it would be more cost affective to utilise Google Assistant and make sure all Samsung's apps are updated with GA's api's.

No matter how improved the new Samsung AI will be compared to S-Voice, it isn't going to be as good as GA and in most cases uses will simply do what they always do .. remove it or disable it as they will not want TWO services on their devices doing essentially same thing.

Samsung need to drop the duplication of TW. Tone it back and use those resources and developments into areas such as better and quicker OS updates.

Unifying OS updates throughout its flagship devices so that they all get quick updates to the layaway GUI changes and such.

But no, that would be common sense, instead Samsung do what they always seem to do and waste not only their resources but inevitably the resources on the device also as duplicate apps and services invariably impact ram usage and system usage.

Samsung get the hardware mostly right (trying to expunge the Note 7 fiasco from that statement) but generally always mess up software wise to some lesser or greater extent.

I'm hoping the success of the Google Pixel will show Samsung they don't need to waste resources.

Give us a S7/S7e with usual generational improvements but on top of a clean OS and make Touchwiz working like any third party launcher - so we keep TW themes and general look, but without the years and years of legacy Gluck that still makes up the bones TW today

Stop making half baked alternatives to solutions already baked in or offered in Android and deliver us speedy OS updates.

giphy.gif

So true yet they wont do the right thing

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

No matter how improved the new Samsung AI will be compared to S-Voice, it isn't going to be as good as GA and in most cases uses will simply do what they always do .. remove it or disable it as they will not want TWO services on their devices doing essentially same thing.

Unifying OS updates throughout its flagship devices so that they all get quick updates to the layaway GUI changes and such.

But no, that would be common sense, instead Samsung do what they always seem to do and waste not only their resources but inevitably the resources on the device also as duplicate apps and services invariably impact ram usage and system usage.

That would be ideal. I've always said Samsung should take a page out of HTC's book and eliminate duplicate apps and just go with Google's.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. They've really carved out their own marketshare and mindshare in the Android space and I simply don't see them turning back. Especially now with Google effectively getting into the hardware game. If anything, Samsung probably feels they have to continue down their path even further. Haven't they said publically, too, that if necessary, they're willing to go completely their own way with Tizen if that day comes? That way, they control the hardware and software just like Apple has been doing and now Google. Tizen will present many challenges, but I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is already planning for it.

Having said that, the duplicate app situation is rather easy to mitigate. Speed and RAM management has been improving with each iteration of TouchWiz; I am simply not worried about it anymore. My S7E is as smooth as it's been since day one. Tmobile has been pretty good about security updates, missing a month here and there, but it hasn't stopped (yet!). Those I care about. Better time tables for major software updates are always welcomed, but nowadays, it just isn't a must have (and in my specific case, if I upgrade to the next Galaxy device, I'm basically on a yearly cycle with the software anyway. For example, Marshmallow from March 2016 to March 2017, and then Nougat with the new device from March 2017 to March 2018, etc.).

As for wasting resources, I understand that argument. Yet many of Samsung's software experiments and attempts have lead to standard features in Nougat.

Like I said, it's always interesting to see what Samsung does when their numbers are down. They've proven they can listen to the community and critics, and can tackle specific shortcomings of their flagships. And now with even more riding on the line, the S8 should be very interesting. The Note 7 was able to refine what was already a refined package in the S7E. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the S8.

As for hardware, if the Pixels had brought their A game in this department, things would be a lot tougher for Samsung. But until the Pixel 2, Samsung still has a huge opportunity for impressive hardware to lead sales.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
How does that compare to that Mi Mix phone that was announced? I have no doubt Samsung will wow on the screen, they lead the pack for sure in that area

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.