Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kkh786, Aug 5, 2019.

1. kkh786, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019

kkh786 macrumors 6502

kkh786

The have just announced this.. blurb from the media:

There are two watch-face sizes to choose from: 40mm and 44mm. The 44mm model weighs in at 30g, and has a 1.4in Super AMOLED always-on display with a resolution of 360 x 360. Inside you’ll find a 340mAh battery, and a dual-core Exynos 9110 chipset. The 44mm model will connect to your phone via bluetooth, and will also offer LTE connectivity for when you don’t want to carry your phone around. If you ever feel that way.

The 40mm model differs only in the ways you’d expect: the display is only 1.2in, and the battery, 247mAh. It also weighs a little less, at 26g. As the cheaper option, the smaller model will only connect to your smartphone via bluetooth. Both models run the same Exynos chip, and Samsung’s Tizen smartwatch OS; they also both have 4GB of on-board storage.

Both watches are bristling with sensors. Chief among these is an electrocardiogram (ECG) monitor, but there’s also a heart rate monitor, accelerometer, gyroscope and barometer. The Galaxy Watch Active 2 charges wirelessly via WPC, and is IP68 water-resistance rated.

The rotating bezel found on the Galaxy Gear watches of yore is back, with a twist: it's all-digital, meaning there's no mechanical movement to fiddle with. Navigating menus is now done by sliding the virtual bezel clockwise or anti-clockwise.

You’ll be able to pick up the Watch Active 2 in aluminium or stainless steel: the aluminium variant comes in Silver, Aqua Black or Pink Gold with a plastic strap, while the stainless steel model comes in silver, black or gold with a leather strap.

You can get your hands (or wrists) on the Galaxy Watch Active 2 on 27 September in the US. We’ll update with UK pricing and availability as soon as it becomes available.

I am interested.. release timing is good as it gives me a chance to review Apple's offering in early September before making my decision! :)

2. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

Glad to see they made a bigger size! the 40mm Active was too small for me but 44mm is pretty much the perfect size for me. I may have to try it out.

3. yui4 macrumors 6502a

Glad I didn't just pull the trigger on the samsung watch 46mm. Will wait and check the 44mm new 1 first

4. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

5. yui4 macrumors 6502a

6. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Definitely will be looking into this watch once it releases. I’m trying to move away from Apple and the Apple Watch is currently what is holding me back the most.

7. Zito Abroad, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019

Zito Abroad macrumors member

Zito Abroad

This is a really good looking watch, especially in stainless steel with a tan leather strap. Just watched the cringe filled Engadget hands on video. The hands on reviewer couldn't help himself from making one snarky comment or eye roll after the next, when talking about features. Just as one example, he completely dismissed the feature for being able to play YouTube videos on the watch with an eye roll and snarky comment. Yet I've seen this guy go on about being able to listen to podcast with Bluetooth headphones in his Apple Watch 4 review. Not a single snarky comment or eye roll in that review. So I'm guessing he doesn't think people with the LTE GWA2 wanting to listen to YouTube podcast or news channels with their Bluetooth headphones as well? Not everyone uses paid streaming services, so YouTube is a great source for steaming news and audio. I've never really paid attention to the blatant Apple media bias, because I've always been a loyal Apple user. My oh my how times have changed. lol.

GWA2e.jpg

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I mean why not have the feature. I’d like to see how useful it is before I write it off. However I’ve always been of the opinion it’s better to have it and not use it than not have it at all.

9. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Stainless steel not available in Uk...epic fail there Samsung

10. kkh786 thread starter macrumors 6502

kkh786

Where did you hear that mate?

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

On Samsung website but it says silver SS not available in UK so maybe black version is?