Samsung hard drive acting weird in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rsherid, Dec 2, 2010.

1. rsherid macrumors member

In february I got this hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Statio.../dp/B002C46042 (Samsung Story 1TB)

I plugged it into my Mac, made it OS X Extended, and it worked great. It has 500GB on it. All of a sudden it became Read Only, which prevents Time Machine to perform any back-ups. The Mac forum suggested I format it, but that's only for NEW drives first connecting. I've had this for almost a year working fine.

It's no longer showing up as an icon on my desktop or in Finder. Disk Utility shows it, but all the options to repair disk are greyed out.

Please help!

[​IMG]

2. rtrt, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks. I have another external HD, currently working, that makes me type in my OS X password to authenticate any move I make on the drive. Can I make it so I don't need to authenticate everything?

4. rsherid thread starter macrumors member

Also, I've decided to just format the drive, but when I try to erase it, it says "Operation Time Out."

5. littleb2005 macrumors member

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It looks like it's gone. If you can't even format a drive, then it's game over. Check if you have a receipt and if it is still under warranty; in that case someone else has to pay for the new one.

In the end, it shows how important backups are: If it had been your internal drive that died then the backup would have saved you. If it had been your internal drive that died and you had no backup, then you would be in trouble.