Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
http://gizmodo.com/5822404/samsung-...fs-for-their-ipad-tablet-knock+offs/gallery/1

Pretty dang disgusting. Apple will have some new material in their current lawsuit against Samsung. It's crazy how all of these second rate tablets with their second rate OSs just sit there and try to copy Apple all day.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Maybe Samsung is challenging Apple to sue the crap out of them & force them out of business?!?! :confused: :eek:

Imagine a smartphone/tablet world without Samsung! :D

Last edited:

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I think it's pretty funny/pathetic that Samsung is basically trying to trick people into buying their products.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Even calling it the smart case. Verrrry little effort went in to hiding the blatant knock off.

I bet 5 of 10 normal consumers would confuse the picture with the tablet standing upright as an iPad, and not a Samsung. Maybe 7 of 10. Hell, I had to double take. :eek:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Ha, wow no kidding!

I bet 5 of 10 normal consumers would confuse the picture with the tablet standing upright as an iPad, and not a Samsung. Maybe 7 of 10. Hell, I had to double take. :eek:

I bet you're right about that! I didn't think it WASN'T an ipad until I read your post. Which is odd because the OS is obviously not iOS, but I didn't bat an eye.

Samppaa

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
First when I saw this on 9to5mac I thought it was a joke, but noticed it wasn't lol. Like someone said, smart case for apple legal :D

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
If I'm not mistaken I don't think this is made by Samsung.....but still, blatant knock off Smart Cover. :confused:

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
If I'm not mistaken I don't think this is made by Samsung.....but still, blatant knock off Smart Cover. :confused:

Samsung did not make it, but saying "Anymode knocking off iPad's smart cover" doesn't have the same ring to it :)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I wonder if people actually read the article...

Samsung did not make the cover. No, but they did certify it. So, they basically approved it. Try to bring it to US and apple will sue.

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I wonder if people actually read the article...

Samsung did not make the cover. No, but they did certify it. So, they basically approved it. Try to bring it to US and apple will sue.

Yeah, but I wonder under what theory they'd sue. It's not like Apple owns the rights to all tablet covers. Also, not sure consumers would be confused, since this particular cover isn't used on ipads.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
sometimes i like the idea of copying if it makes a better project.. but to make a copy and make it worse... eh.....leaves a sour taste in my mouth...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
it isn't samsung. and, it actually is very different than the apple one. yes, they have the same colors. yes, it folds across the screen. neither of these cover features are especially innovative.

the korean cover has a back side (unlike the apple cover), and does not make use of magnets (as far as i can tell).

i know. it looks similar, but so do all clamshell computers. it's the little things that clearly set the apple product apart from competitors.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
it isn't samsung. and, it actually is very different than the apple one. yes, they have the same colors. yes, it folds across the screen. neither of these cover features are especially innovative.

the korean cover has a back side (unlike the apple cover), and does not make use of magnets (as far as i can tell).

i know. it looks similar, but so do all clamshell computers. it's the little things that clearly set the apple product apart from competitors.

I notice that too so I'm not sure why people are comparing it to the Apple Smart cover. There are so many similar third party covers/cases for the iPad already. You just have to look at the numerous threads here of various cases to see how many of them have similarities to Apple's Smart cover.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Its a Samsung accessory, not made by Samsung, but by Anymode. Also, Apple isn't innocent of this either. Actually, if anything I'd say that Anymode ripped off Incase because their cover has a back.

ethics101

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Disgusting? Yeah since you work for Apple and competition hurts you and your company. Oh wait...I swear people some times. :rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Samsung's certified Smart Cover, err . . . "Smart Case"

This is interesting, given current events.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/18/famil...ification-and-a-place-on-their-store-shelves/

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/18/i-...eing-these-galaxy-tab-smart-covers-stateside/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrev...ffs-samsung-shows-why-apple-is-suing-it/26308

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=it5&idxno=2011071307021690424

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-approves-apple-smart-cover-copy-cats-18165887/

Family ties earn this Smart Cover knock-off a Samsung certification and a place on their store shelves

“Anymode Corp. is in the business of designing, manufacturing and selling a blatant Smart Cover rip-off,” Christian Zibreg reports for 9to5Mac.

“Conveniently dubbed the Smart Case – obviously because Apple trademarked it – the accessory comes in five pastel color choices. It too can prop a tablet upwards and it folds like Apple’s accessory as well,” Zibreg reports. “The Smart Case is designed exclusively for Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 – and not by a coincidence, warns our reader Jun.”

Zibreg reports, “Apparently Sang-yong Kim, the Anymode CEO, was ‘born in Samsung family.’ …Furthermore, reader Jun explains, Anymode is selling its products in Samsung’s A/S center all over Korea. One final thing: Samsung has apparently certified the Smart Case.

110718_smart_case.jpg

samsung-smart-case-for-galaxy-tab-image-001.jpg

samsung-smart-case-for-galaxy-tab-image-003.jpg

samsung-smart-case-for-galaxy-tab-image-002.jpg

samsung-smart-case-for-galaxy-tab-image-004.jpg

BONUS:

Sang-yong Kim, the Anymode CEO, is indeed the nephew of Samsung’s chairman Kun-Hee Lee. (Korean Article) Asia Economy:

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=it5&idxno=2011071307021690424

201107130901253812019A_1.jpg

Anymode is not even attempting to conceal the Samsung link. The company describes itself on a LinkedIn page as:

http://www.linkedin.com/company/anymode-corporation

…a privately held firm founded in Korea in 2007, with “strong affiliation with Samsung Electronics for key accessories supplier globally”. And with strong business partnership with Samsung Electronics, “business has been grow rapidly and becoming one of fastest growing company that covers international retail channels with key distributors world-wide”, their business profile on LinkedIn boasts.

Youngbo Engineering is Anymode’s parent company where Sang-yong Kim is also president and CEO. Youngbo too provides solutions for Samsung, including mobile phone accessories such as earphones, batteries, Bluetooth items and other products, says the LinkedIn page. Furthermore, reader Jun explains, Anymode is selling its products in Samsung’s A/S center all over Korea. One final thing: Samsung has apparently certified the Smart Case, as evident in the use of official branding in the two bottom shots.

-------------------------------------------

Wow.

Last edited:

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
If it sells for less than half the price of the current Smart Cover and fully functions, I'll buy one. $40 a pop for a cover that easily dirties and the hinge gives off dust is not that great to deal with..., but hey I own one, and really enjoy its features...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.