Samsung OEM 512GB SSD versus OWC 480GB option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fskywalker, Sep 20, 2012.

1. fskywalker, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Hi. My rMBP is the basic model (2.3GHZ, 256GB SSD) except from the 16GB memory option. I am planning to buy, most likely in Ebay, the Samsung OEM 512GB SSD drive and use the 256GB unit on an external enclosure through a USB or thunderbolt adapter. I came across this board in Ebay which says it will convert the SSD connection into a standard 2.5 inch SATA connector.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAADA4/cycvQXXTcbg/s800/2012-air-logo.jpg

Questions are:

1- Have someone purchase this card (from $20 in Ebay and elsewhere)?
    2- What would be a compatible, small case for it?
    3- What about a thunderbolt adapter for the SSD?
    4- Would the Samsung make more sense than the new OWC 480GB SSD alternative? They are priced about the same ($600 for the Samsung, $580 for the OWC, but know the OWC includes a free coupon for the outside case if purchased before the end of september) but am inclined for the extra 32GB size of the Samsung)

Thanks,

Francisco

2. heolongvang macrumors newbie

As I know, OWC uses Sandforce controller, which will give the fastest read speed in "benchmark", but the write speed is really poor.
    For me, I prefer Samsung because it uses the same controller in Samsung SSD series 830. Many users here satisfy with Samsung series 830. Read and write speed are rock solid.

3. JGO macrumors member

I don't know how you find a legitimate source that retails the Apple branded Samsung drives for the rMBP, but I did see this parts seller offering the 512 and 768 models.

Best of luck to you on the ssd purchase.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I personally dont like OWC or their overpriced products, nor do I like Sandforce SSDs in a MBP. I would stick with the Samsung, that way if you have to take it in for warranty work, they dont see a 3rd party branded SSD and hassle you.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Samsung SSDs are now a legit upgrade? Meaning, if I take in, I wouldn't to explain why there's a Samsung in there?

6. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Ordered OWC option

Thanks for the comments. I finally decided to buy the Owc, it comes with 3 years of warranty versus no warranty on the Ebay Samsung SSD. The owc provided external box will be handy to keep my 256GB unit as an additional storage with USB3.0 speed. Also, if I need to claim warranty can simply swap them before the service request ( won't erase its OS partition so OS will be there )

Regards

Francisco

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I had both Samsung and OWC. Kept the Samsung and returned the OWC. The Sandforce controller sucks in writing speed.

Attached Files:

8. fskywalker, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Itvis really that bad?

It is really that bad? I read it was better than the Samsung on reading and a little slower on writing, but really the difference is significant based on your results.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol it's not faster at all and it's insanely overpriced for how "fast" or lack there of it is.

----------

Sandforce SSDs just do not perform up to spec on Macs for some reason.

10. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Have anyone here purchase the Samsung OEM 512 GB drive in Ebay? They ask $599 with free shipping, there are 2-3 sellers, all from China area. Any other suppliers out there?

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The SSD that shipes in the Retina MBP is basically a Samsung 830 in a blade form factor.

12. JGO macrumors member

Don't know about ebay, but did you bother looking at the link in post #3? They are advertising OEM samsung drives for the RMBP with a 1 year warranty.

Click here

13. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Yes, did saw it, but is $100 higher than the 3 sellers in Ebay for the same drive, but does specifies a wareanty. I e-mail the sellers in Ebay asking for warranty, are still waiting for them to reply.

Regards,

Francisco

14. ibd macrumors member

Where did you find these? Are there any other sellers for these? I wasn't able to find even your link with google. The results are swamped with reviews stating you cannot replace the ssd and/or talking about the overpriced owc upgrade..

I went with 256gb for now, but definitely looking for an upgrade later down the road. Do you think prices will come down much in, say, 1-2 years?

15. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Good to know. Glad I made I right decision to have Amazon swap my 8-month old 256GB Crucial m4 for a brand new 256GB Samsung 830. I did the read/write tests before/after and I didn't believe it how much faster the Samsung is.

17. JGO, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

JGO macrumors member

I found the parts retailer via google. However, instead of purchasing one of these I did a BTO adding the 512gb ssd to the base processor model of rMBP. I do not know anyone who has experience with the retailer, but if you do a search in MacRumors Forums you will find a few references to people buying legacy parts from them. What I don't understand is how retailers are able to get the OEM parts. I assumed that they would only be supplied to Apple. Grey market goods?

I agree with you on OEM vs OWC - I would rather spend a premium price for an OEM Samsung than what OWC is offering.

18. fskywalker, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Samsung it is!!!

I will then return the OWC SSD and buy the Samsung instead, on Ebay can get a 1 year warranty as well.

19. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Samsung OEM 512GB SSD unit ordered!

I have ordered the Samsung OEM through Ebay for $599 shipped, it comes with the removal tools and instructions and OS X Lion pre-installed, so the switch should be relatively easy. The 256GB unit will be installed on an USB3.0 external enclosure I have from my previous 13.3 MBP conversion to SSD.

What software are you guys using to test the SSD speed?

20. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Black Magic, app from the APP Store and it's also free.

----------

I was really disappointed at OWC's SSD... but their CS is excellent and they gave me a full refund hassle free.
    Now I have 2 Samsung 830 512Gb in my MBP, the one in the Optibay is mounted on the OWC DATA DOUBLER and I can tell you I'm very satisfied by the performance of the 830s.
    I will enjoy working with this MBP for a couple of years at least.

21. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

then retina SSD doesn't have a sata connector so I'm 99.9% sure it won't work with your current enclosure. OWC's enclosure is supposed to be available in December for SSDs from the rMBP, AFAIK they are the only one making an enclosure for the retina blade ssd. It will be usb 3 though.

OWC's write speed is disappointing, I was hoping to upgrade my 256 after the enclosure was released with their 480gb drive but it looks like I'll be better off buying an OEM from ifixit or ebay and only get the enclosure from OWC. Although not in stock at the moment ifixit lists the 768gb cheaper than the OWC 480.

22. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I have already purchased an adapter that will convert the rMBP connector into a standard 2.5 inch data connector, so that with my case will do the trick!

23. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

24. fskywalker thread starter macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I bought mine in Ebay for $20:
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=221127157504&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=17473918994

25. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82