Samsung offering Free phone to iPhone users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whsbuss, Jul 25, 2010.

1. LuvIphone macrumors member

Battery life Iphone the gets owned

Captivate.......Up to 13 hours talk time; up to 750 hours standby

Iphone 4....Up to 6 hours talk time; up to 300 hours standby

2. LuvIphone macrumors member

Captivate vs Iphone 4 (Speed)

Iphone 4 gets owned in every test... Captivate is faster/ considering over a period of time look how much time you save using Captivate.. Iphone 4 keeps coming in last. LOL but has the best zoom.. It's sooooo smooth, just like Apples marketing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLLi5ccES4o

3. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Their phone is so good that they need to give them away for people to use them! :D

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

We get it. Your username is bit of sarcasm.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Great, another item to eBay (the Samsung Galaxy that is) :D

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Not sure if you noticed but the iPhone had 4 other websites loaded on it while doing those tests. I smell bias :rolleyes:

7. Built macrumors 68020

So true...and the Samsung is so great that LuviPhone has to post in multiple threads just to convince himself...

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

How are they contacting them online? OVER WHAT?

9. jarvijarv macrumors regular

10. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Cool. I'll take a free one.. to sell on eBay. Giving away a product. Talk about desperate.

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Does having extra pages open really degrade performance that much? I was under the impression that it would flush and reload any pages if ram was low as that what Safari used to do on my old iPhone.

The Nexus results are pretty much consistent with what Engadget were getting when they tested the iP4 against FroYo.

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Wonder how the UI compares... I tend to lean with the "you get what you pay for" crowd.

13. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Or a brilliant display of marketing. Big bad Apple locks down users and even releases malfunctioning hardware...and here's glorious Samsung, blonde locks billowing in the wind, delivering wonderful, capable handsets to all.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Its called taking some market share away from another. However, that is in the UK i believe.

Remember when (if your a sports fan) ESPN Football 2K5 sold their games for $19.00 and it was a better game than Madden? What did EA do? Embrace the compitition?

Hell no, they bought the NFL exclusive rights and locked everyone else out because the next year they would of got hammered by that game.....haha

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

My thoughts exactly.

16. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

This story happened last week. It turned out they were giving them to a few people with connections to well known or influential companies and marketing agencies who had complained on twitter about their iPhone 4's. Clever marketing. They're NOT handing them out like candies.

Also, from the article; 'We decided to contact a cross secession of individuals'. Cross secession? Great proofreading there.

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

EDIT: moussekateer knows best! :D
    ---
    Wow... Is it really hard to work out why Samsung did this?

It's a... Publicity stunt

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-07/23/samsung-galaxy-s-iphone

Tut tut Samsung. One of those cross section of people happen to work in digital marketing eh? :(

18. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

19. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

As already mentioned above, it's not desperation. It's just marketing. You give out your products to influential people who will spread the word. That's how marketing works.

20. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Exactly.

Why do you think Apple has released the testing of other phones showing the reducing bars? Because VZW, Sprint, and T-mobile will try to target Apple in their ads this holiday season. Apple could have prevented all this negative PR by doing full testing.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a great publicity stunt, and has garnered a lot of attention. It seems Samsung has done a great job in marketing their Galaxy phone against the iPhone. Still, I'm no fan of their phones, nor their UI that they placed on top of android.

22. SexyBeast macrumors regular

Is it just me or does the Android UI on the Captivate look hideously ugly? It looks like a color screen phone from 1998. The video quality looks good but the UI is seriously ugly!

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

You can install another launcher if you don't like it. ADW Launcher is good and is very faithful to a stock Android 2.2 launcher.

I have the TouchWiz launcher installed on my N1 and think it's alright myself.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm partial to Launcher Pro myself
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It gives me the cool cube affect for the app drawer, the performance is much better then the stock UI on my Droid x and I can limit the number of screen panels (I only need 3 not the 7 the stock UI provides). Plus the home button gives me the expose like feature of seeing all of the screens and selecting which one I want.