Samsung Owes Apple $120 Million in Longstanding Slide-to-Unlock Lawsuit

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has reinstated Apple's $119.6 million award in a longstanding patent lawsuit with Samsung, after eight of twelve judges ruled it was wrong to throw out the verdict in February.
    The long-running lawsuit dates back to 2011, when Apple accused Samsung of infringing upon its now-retired slide-to-unlock feature, autocorrect, and a method of detecting phone numbers so they can be tapped to make phone calls, according to Bloomberg. The case is not to be confused with a similar Apple v. Samsung lawsuit related to accusations of older Galaxy smartphones infringing upon the iPhone's design.

The appeals court will argue that second case, also dating back to 2011, on Tuesday to determine how much Samsung should pay for copying the look and feel of the iPhone, according to the report. Samsung was originally ordered to pay Apple damages of $548 million, but it appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court in December as a last-ditch effort to avoid paying the settlement.

In August, over 100 world-renowned designers, including Calvin Klein, Dieter Rams, and Norman Foster, filed an amicus brief in support of Apple in the lawsuit. The designers argued that a product's visual design has "powerful effects on the human mind and decision making processes," citing a 1949 study that showed more than 99% of Americans could identify a bottle of Coca-Cola by shape alone.

Article Link: Samsung Owes Apple $120 Million in Longstanding Slide-to-Unlock Lawsuit

2. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I have always wondered how large amounts get transferred from company to company? Especially when they are in the billions. Anyone have an idea?

4. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

And then apple kills slide to unlock. RIP beautiful UX design.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

In this case, a huge caravan will show up at Apple HQ filled with Galaxy Note 7s. It will be led by Christophe Waltz.

6. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Holy cow these lawsuits. They just keep going, and going, and going, and...

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

How did Apple kill it, iOS 10?

8. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

Usually by wire transfer.

I think it is interesting that the basis for the ruling is "That was a wrong decision, the court ruled Friday, because it relied on issues that were never raised on appeal or on information that was beyond the trial record." The court isn't really saying that the points were valid or not but that the judge shouldn't have overturned the jury verdicts because his basis for overturning them wasn't entered into the record during the trial. Samsung should be very upset with their trial attorneys for not including everything in the original trial.

9. jdillings macrumors 68000

Small, unmarked bills, in brown paper bags

10. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

This made me think of an interesting way of looking at this.

Apple has 115K employees. Divide the $120M they won from this and it works out to just over $1K per employee.

That should cover lunches for a month or six, depending on where they choose to get their lunch.

(And I know you can spend a lot more than $1K in a month for lunch... I know there are places where you could spend all that in one meal. But I figure $35 for lunch is a reasonable upper bound...)

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I was thinking large barrels filled with cash buried in the NM desert. Breaking Bad style.

12. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

I can't believe you can get a patent on parsing text for links and making them clickable. Utterly ridiculous.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Patent troll lawsuits breed more patent trolls.

14. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

For me they killed it when they introduced TouchID on the 5s.

15. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I agree..

But Samsung has been taking a lot of L's lately

16. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

How do you unlock an iPhone before iOS 10? Elegant slide.
    How do you unlock an iPhone with iOS 10? You mash the home button repeatedly with intermixed momentary pauses in case it needs your fingerprint in one or more steps until you're finally in.

17. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I'm primarily a designer, so this probably isn't the best code, and only works with full urls, but I wrote this simple PHP in a few minutes:

PHP:
    $string 'Testing to see if I can find a link somewhere http://google.com and activate it within text.';
    $pattern '/(http:\/\/|https:\/\/)(\S+)/';
    $replace '<a href="$1$2">$1$2</a>';
    echo 
    preg_replace($pattern$replace$string);
    I'm a man on the run now!

18. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Which equates to £1.20 to Apple and Samsung.

19. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

I'm starting to feel that sympathy that I feel with Blackberry for Samsung...

20. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

21. usarioclave macrumors 65816

If they keep suing each other and winning they'll both make out, because the fine counts as an expense.

As a note, I have a bunch of Android phones at work and the Android equivalent of slide to lock, at least in KitKat/Lollipop, sucks. Apple's was really a much better idea, which is why Google copied it. I actually miss it in iOS 10; the home button thing is still kind of weird. Of course, I've been unlocking my phone with a swipe since the beginning. Change is hard.

22. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

that is by design. it's just part of business. they violate patents intentionally, price the later court judgements into their business plan, and rake in billions in profit in the meantime. all companies operate this way. I wish people wouldn't get upset and think this is somehow unusual or unexpected. believe me, the corporations don't think it's nearly as unusual or worrisome as many forum posters seem to.

23. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I'm shocked I'm the only one to like this.

24. 2457282 Suspended

My guess is that they will load up a Galaxy Note7 un-charged with all the money in the form of bitcoins and mail it to Tim's office. Upon opening the box, a note will say please charge to receive your prize.

BOOM!

25. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Kinda. Imagine if the car was invented now ..... it would demonstrate how flawed the patent system is when something like a window or wheel and use cases behind it is owned by only one company.

Im just glad desktop and laptops designs were already matured before these patent wars began between major IT companies .