Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And credit cards acceptance demolish both for the entire world. But the old market share discussion...
This thread is about Samsung Pay customers being more satisfied than Apple Pay.What do credit cards market share worldwide have to do with it

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This thread is about Samsung Pay customers being more satisfied than Apple Pay.What do credit cards market share worldwide have to do with it
That may be true, but it's a deflection on my comment. It seems pointless to query 2000 people, especially with most of the world not accepting either. I frankly don't find apple pay "that great" and I would say the same for samsung pay. What I do find interesting however, is the ability the use pay phone methods on websites, of which one company is working on.

There just isn't any risk for using a credit card, it's lighter, faster and more convenient; but for those who like to whip out their phone at pay terminals, I say have at it...more power to you.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I love Samsung pay. Here in the states I regularly find merchants who don't have chip machines yet, and the convenience of using my phone on the magnetic strip is awesome. Anyone with kids knows what I'm talking about and how valuable doing things one handed are. Ironically enough many times the store has a chip reader, but they tell me it hasn't been implemented yet. Even for those stores which have chip readers, besides the inconvenience of taking my wallet and card out, they take a heck of a long time to approve. I'd rather be out of there and doing something important. And just to add a bit of humor, some of those chip readers have this really loud buzz sound when approved that always scares the crap out of me.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That may be true, but it's a deflection on my comment. It seems pointless to query 2000 people, especially with most of the world not accepting either. I frankly don't find apple pay "that great" and I would say the same for samsung pay. What I do find interesting however, is the ability the use pay phone methods on websites, of which one company is working on.

There just isn't any risk for using a credit card, it's lighter, faster and more convenient; but for those who like to whip out their phone at pay terminals, I say have at it...more power to you.
Apple Pay and Samsung Pay will eventually roll out throughout the world and Samsung Pay will still have advantage because Samsung Pay still works with existing kit.Good luck getting the developing economies to buy an expensive chip system

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, credit cards in the US are all actually chip and sign (useless, IMO).
FWIW, chip and signature stops the majority of credit card fraud, which is from cloned cards. (i.e. your card info was stolen during the Target hack, sold online, and a thief encodes it onto the magswipe of a card and goes shopping).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple Pay and Samsung Pay will eventually roll out throughout the world and Samsung Pay will still have advantage because Samsung Pay still works with existing kit.Good luck getting the developing economies to buy an expensive chip system
Fraud will reign supreme without chip and pin. Merchants will do it.

Front page : Apple Pay to be used at ATMs if that interests you.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
FWIW, chip and signature stops the majority of credit card fraud, which is from cloned cards. (i.e. your card info was stolen during the Target hack, sold online, and a thief encodes it onto the magswipe of a card and goes shopping).

It's the chip...not the signature. PIN is far more secure than signature was my point and far quicker for processing.

Reactions: jamezr

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Fraud will reign supreme without chip and pin. Merchants will do it.

A person who wants to do fraud will find a loophole in everything.Not a valid argument .I don't see how Samsung Pay is any less secure than Apple Pay

As far as ATMs go,good.Apple finally needs to step up their game to compete with Samsung Pay.I don't want to use plastic cards anywhere when my phone does a great job.Its annoying seeing SP customers racing through the terminals

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A person who wants to do fraud will find a loophole in everything.Not a valid argument .I don't see how Samsung Pay is any less secure than Apple Pay

As far as ATMs go,good.Apple finally needs to step up their game to compete with Apple Pay.I don't want to use plastic cards anywhere when my phone does a great job.Its annoying seeing SP customers racing through the terminals
Using Apple Pay is a bonus at ATMs. We're talking about acceptance. That's one place where I can see a use, especially to combat skimmers. As far as fraud, it is not the point where there is a will there is a way. Chip and pin combats that.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

FWIW, Samsung pay can be used to withdrawal money from ATMs in South Korea. Android pay is also currently supported at some Bank of America atms too.

I'm guessing ATM's will eventually accept all three methods.

Reactions: Radon87000

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They absolutely refuse to accept that certain things can be well implemented than what Apple does

Your point?Samsung Pay tops the list because I don't have to worry about it being unsupported at any location .Apple Pay scores lower because of a lower sample size due to low population size
Samsung Pay is yet to be launched in the UK whereas Apple Pay has been here for nearly 2 years, so it doesn't yet appear on any of our satisfaction surveys. Most major retailers support Apple Pay now anyway.

Both payment methods use virtually the same technique, putting your finger on the button and holding it to a pay terminal. Why people like you have to argue the competition is pretty lame.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
FWIW, Samsung pay can be used to withdrawal money from ATMs in South Korea. Android pay is also currently supported at some Bank of America atms too.

I'm guessing ATM's will eventually accept all three methods.
I guess you're right, but the headliner was about the US; which doesn't offer contactless withdrawals.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
You are talking about the US right? Never heard of that bank, nor have I ever seen anyone use a PIN with a chip card in the states. I have a PIN on my debit card bit they have always used PINs

Visited US recently and had to use PIN constantly with my three credit cards with chips from Sweden. It's probably up to the bank that gave you the card whether PIN is required or not.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Samsung Pay is yet to be launched in the UK whereas Apple Pay has been here for nearly 2 years, so it doesn't yet appear on any of our satisfaction surveys. Most major retailers support Apple Pay now anyway.

Both payment methods use virtually the same technique, putting your finger on the button and holding it to a pay terminal. Why people like you have to argue the competition is pretty lame.

No, they are not the same. The majority of times that I use Samsung Pay, it's at a terminal that Apple Pay is not supported. Samsung Pay is supported damn near everywhere even without the merchants knowledge.

Although once swipe terminals start to disappear, then the playing field might be even. But that's not happening anytime soon. Probably 6-10 years later.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No, they are not the same. The majority of times that I use Samsung Pay, it's at a terminal that Apple Pay is not supported. Samsung Pay is supported damn near everywhere even without the merchants knowledge.

Although once swipe terminals start to disappear, then the playing field might be even. But that's not happening anytime soon. Probably 6-10 years later.
Does that still apply in many parts of Europe especially the UK where swipe has been turned off for the past decade and replaced with chip and pin? America is about 8-9 years behind in terms of payment technology so perhaps it's advantageous there but redundant already here.

My point about being the same relates to Europe where using both would be exactly the same.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Does that still apply in many parts of Europe especially the UK where swipe has been turned off for the past decade and replaced with chip and pin? America is about 8-9 years behind in terms of payment technology so perhaps it's advantageous there but redundant already here.

My point about being the same relates to Europe where using both would be exactly the same.

Well in the UK, I guess it Samsung and Apple Pay would be the same, since it would rely on NFC enabled terminals.

But here in the States, Samsung Pay has a HUGE advantage.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Visited US recently and had to use PIN constantly with my three credit cards with chips from Sweden. It's probably up to the bank that gave you the card whether PIN is required or not.

I'm curious...since Europe moved to chip and pin a while ago and from what I hear/read, swipe reading is now non-existent, are your credit cards still issued with magnetic strips on the back? I ask because if not, that would be problematic if you traveled to the US...wondered how you'd tackle that issue.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm curious...since Europe moved to chip and pin a while ago and from what I hear/read, swipe reading is now non-existent, are your credit cards still issued with magnetic strips on the back? I ask because if not, that would be problematic if you traveled to the US...wondered how you'd tackle that issue.
Yes all debit and credit cards still have the magnetic strip as far as I am aware.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Samsung Pay has a new promotion-- for the next four Saturdays (starting 12 AM EST to 11:59 PM EST), the first 100 who use Samsung Pay every half hour ( :00 or :30) win a $10 GC.

Gift card purchases in the Samsung Pay app count as a Samsung Pay transaction-- I received my gift card instantly. The gift card selection isn't as good as the previous promotion (Staples, Domino's, Gamestop, Toys R Us, and a few others) but still not bad!

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I guess you're right, but the headliner was about the US; which doesn't offer contactless withdrawals.

Right but Android Pay does in the US. I imagine users are less likely to care if Samsung pay is able to withdraw funds from an ATM if another app on there phone can.

I only bring it up as you mentioned apple pay and ATM withdrawls without mentioning the current status of Android Pay/Samsung Pay withdrawing funds from an ATM.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Right but Android Pay does in the US. I imagine users are less likely to care if Samsung pay is able to withdraw funds from an ATM if another app on there phone can.

I only bring it up as you mentioned apple pay and ATM withdrawls without mentioning the current status of Android Pay/Samsung Pay withdrawing funds from an ATM.
Good point about that thanks for the clarification. But that's not Samsung pay per SE that's android pay. But with card skimmers and other ways to get your card no getting money through nfc is welcome.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Because Apple users are blinded to the world outside of Apple by their own fanboyism, and refuse to accept that something could be better than what Apple offers.

Android users are the worst. I've been using cell phones since the days of the Moto brick, I've owned and/or used damn near every OS and trust me, Android users are the rudest ****ing ignorant pricks in the tech world. Just my observations. I was literally told to kill myself because I said I thought iOS was better at some than Android.

And before you ****s start freaking out, I'm using a Nexus 6.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Android users are the worst. I've been using cell phones since the days of the Moto brick, I've owned and/or used damn near every OS and trust me, Android users are the rudest ****ing ignorant pricks in the tech world. Just my observations. I was literally told to kill myself because I said I thought iOS was better at some than Android.

And before you ****s start freaking out, I'm using a Nexus 6.
It definitely goes both ways, plenty of iPhone users act the same way when they come to Android blogs trying to brag about the iPhone.

While some Android fanboys can be rude, many iPhone fanboys tend to be ignorant that Android has had many of those features they think are brand new since Apple just announced it. Then they talk about how Android probably did an awful job implementing it, without any proof.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
many iPhone fanboys tend to be ignorant that Android has had many of those features they think are brand new since Apple just announced it.
I don't disagree with you, but I think the other side of that coin is that OEMs (like Samsung) adding features to just their Android phones (like Samsung Pay) can make things that much more confusing to people who don't fairly closely follow the smartphone market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.