Samsung Portable SSD T5 revealed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Marx55, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Marx55, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

Marx55 macrumors 65816

2. Marx55, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Hold on while we adjust something. Perhaps they need a little more time to ship, adjust the specs, who knows.

Rumor talked about a larger cap than the add shows, 4TB?

4. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

Which add?

5. thedeske, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

thedeske macrumors 6502a

The one that was in your link - described sizes of 1&2tb for the black - 500 for the blue
    Add/announcement/whatever it was

Looks like it's gone now

6. Burstl macrumors newbie

Burstl

Were there any images in the ads? Does anyone have screenshots?

I am really excited, but a possible 4TB version will be insanely expensive.

Lets see what the next months hold. Just incredible how fast tech moves these day ...

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I absolutely adore my 1 TB T 1 and my 2 TB T3 Samsung external SSDs.....and am eagerly awaiting news of what they will be offering next. Yeah, unfortunately if they offer us a 4 TB SSD it will be very, very expensive and out of a lot of people's price range..... Actually, I'm hoping to be able to grab a couple more 2 TB T3s at a lowered sale price once the newest version is available for purchase......

8. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

9. Burstl macrumors newbie

Burstl

amazing. thanks. looks nice.

do you also have screens for the silver and black versions?

i wonder what the dimensions will be. i read somewhere that the T5 will be much smaller than the T3. I checked current prices per GB for Thumb Drives and in my opinion if the T5 gets much smaller than the T3 this makes Thumb drives totally obsolete. There is either cloud storage or external SSDs with much faster data transfer speeds. Exciting times.

10. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

11. thedeske macrumors 6502a

12. Clix Pix, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Hm...... Looks about the same size as the T1. I just held my T1 up to the photo and it fit perfectly. Of course I realize that is not exactly scientific nor does it prove anything...... My T3 is a bit larger and thicker than the T1. Both are still pretty darned small when compared to some of the other products out on the market.

An observation: when I was looking at the photo in the first link I noticed that above the image of the T5 was a listing of capacities, and it looked to be the same as the current capacities of the T3. ?? 250 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB, 2 TB....... ?? I was rather hoping that the T5 would come in a larger capacity, such as maybe 3 or 4 TB......

One thing I wish they'd do this time around is to include cables for USB-A (USB-3) as well as USB-C, and at the prices they charge they really should. Other manufacturers do this, and it is so convenient for those of us who have one or more machines with "legacy" ports (USB-A [USB-3] and another one or more machines with solely USB-C or Thunderbolt! Fortunately I already had another mobile HD that includes both so I am able to use the USB-C one on my machine that is USB-C only.

13. Marx55, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

From the horse's mouth...

The top to bottom metal design and rounded unibody fits comfortably in the palm of your hand. The T5 comes in two distinct aluminum finishes - an alluring blue for 250 GB and 500 GB models, and a deep black for 1 TB and 2 TB models.

Connect the T5 to an extensive range of devices from PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices. The included USB Type-C to C cable and USB Type-C to A cable give you seamless connectivity without the hassle of purchasing additional adapters.

Dimensions (W x H x D): 74 x 57.3 x 10.5 mm
    Weight: 51 g
    Transfer Speed: 540 MB/s
    Warranty: 3 years

14. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Dang... I guess I should wait.

I've had my eye on a 1TB T3 for a while.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Well, thank you! Now we know! Samsung has finally paid attention and gotten on board when it comes to the cable situation -- YAAAY!!!!

Looks as though I'll be going with the Deep Black, which will match my T1 and complement my black-and-silver T3....... Actually, I like the idea that they are specifying colors for the various size capacities; that could be very useful if one has several of the devices in different capacities. I would've really liked it, though, had they also offered us a larger-capacity one, too, but c'est la vie....... The speed increase is amazing, and I know a lot of people will be happy with that. Let's hope the prices for these will be fairly reasonable and not too much higher than the current ones. I'm thinking that once the T5 is available online and in shops that there may be a price reduction in the T3, so may pick up another one of those, too.....

16. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

Higher capacity would have been great. Samsung has technology to release 4, 8 and 16 GB on such T5 drive. Prices for T5 will be similar to T3. Competition is needed to bring prices down and currently there is no true competition for Samsung SSD V-NAND. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

17. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Any more news on the Samsung T5 lately?

Prices of certain models of the T3 are crazy right now... if you can find them in stock.

Not sure if retailers are gouging the price because of low stock.... or a general rise in NAND pricing.

I want a 1TB model... but I'm not paying $500 at NewEgg!!!

It was around $320

I'm wondering if the new T5 will help lower the price.

18. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

The current T3 is cheaper at Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT1T0B/dp/B01AVF6UO8

Samsung Portable SSD T5 should be already on sale. It will have similar price than current T3 model. The problem here is lack of true competition, as said above.

19. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I've always said I wouldn't buy anything Samsung produces, but I'll buy the T5. As Marx55 and others have noted, competitors obviously haven't been beating a path to market with comparable devices, and I'm heartily fed up with spinning HDDs.

20. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

If the T5 is as great as my T1 and T3 have been, I'll be really happy! So far I have not seen any indications of the T5 being on the market here yet. I have a local store, Microcenter, which undoubtedly will be carrying the T5 when it is available, and of course there is also Amazon.

ETA: OK, just checked at Microcenter's website and they are still quoting the prices that we've been seeing for a long time. On Amazon, looks as though they've knocked down the prices somewhat, as much as close to $50.00 on the 2 TB one. Neither site had any indication yet of a new product coming......

21. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

The 1TB T3 is $455... which is much higher than it was a few weeks ago. :(

22. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have purchased LaCie in the past, but Seagate bought and destroyed it. Now the king of SSD is Samsung with their V-NAND technology, hands down. All other companies are catching up.

The T3 is so amazing that it remains cold after booting Mac and working from it all day long. I have never seen something like that, which seems to violate thermodynamics laws... That is really remarkable, taking into account that thermal throttling usually is a serious SSD issue. Hopefully, the T5 will be even better. If they were cheaper, they would take the disk market by storm.

23. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

That's because it's being sold by an amazon merchant, not by amazon itself. Amazon presently have no stock of the 1TB and 500GB T3s.

24. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Yep. That's why I said "if you can find them in stock" earlier.

I'm guessing Amazing won't be getting any new stock of the T3 if the T5 is coming soon.

Sooner than later, hopefully!!! I really want one and I'm ready to buy! :)

25. Marx55 thread starter macrumors 65816

It was not like that a few days ago. It seems Samsung is waiting to sell available T3 stock to start selling T5.