Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is prioritizing the development of OLED displays that Apple plans to use in upcoming iPad models, according to a report today by The Elec.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

According to the report, Samsung has prioritized the development of a particular display type that uses two-stack tandem OLED panels, which is what Apple plans to use in future iPad and Mac models. Prioritization of this display type means the South Korean tech giant will focus less on developing full-cut OLED displays, which use just a single OLED layer, according to The Elec.

Samsung is Apple's main display supplier and has been supplying the company with OLED displays for high-end iPhone models since 2017. Other products, like the iPhone SE, Mac, and iPad, still use LCD displays and mini-LED technology on select products.

Apple is expected to release the first OLED iPad Pro in 2024 in 11-inch and 12.9-inch sizes, according to the reliable display analyst Ross Young. Also in 2024, Apple is also rumored to bring OLED display technology to the Mac with a 13-inch MacBook Air.

Article Link: Samsung Prioritizing Development of OLED Displays for Rumored 2024 iPad Pro

Last edited:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
All I can say is I’ll wait for Independent Reviews from actual reviewers NOT a 30 second unboxing by influencers like iJustine or MKBHD.
And we will need 100% confirmation these are 10-bit Panels because Apple has been selling us 8-bit panels now for years.

Also watch this video Samsung OLED has a long Way to go If it can’t even compete with Apple 12.9” MiniLED display

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
OLED should be a great improvement over miniLED. Blooming is the biggest compaint I have with my miniLED iPad Pro.
Yes, but only IF they can keep the current brightness levels. Some of the major downsides for me anyways of Samsung‘s otherwise great tablets is : the lower brightness levels and the inferior anti-reflective coating.

Those two along with my personal preference of the iPad Pro aspect ratio is why I prefer that over the Samsung options

The blooming is only an issue in very dark environments, otherwise you don’t notice it at all.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Should be prioritizing iPad OS more than anything else related to iPad.
I'm sure hardware and software are handled by two different teams, so Apple can handle both at the same time. Also, it said that Samsung is prioritizing development of the new screen.

Reactions: sorgo †

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Should be prioritizing iPad OS more than anything else related to iPad.
Lmao. Nonsense. In terms of what I actually want out of an iPad...OLED is the top of the list. Not more pseudo Mac changes for iPad. I like iPad as an iPad.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Tim, stop what ur doing
Oled is not a good idea for iPad, except they make sth that protects the eye from pwm and can avoid migraine headaches

Am I the only person here who “detests “ oled?

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
Bruh we don’t even know if 2024 is coming every time we get our hopes up the billionaires gone mad in the world keep saying nah.
So you're saying the world has ended so many times, we shouldn't get our hopes up? Except no, even by the current tally, your logic has been wrong 2022 times. You might want to reconsider which echo chamber you're staying in. And if the world ends, it won't be the billionaires to blame. None of them have control of the means to end it. But the last person you voted for might.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.