Samsung set to challenge all...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hal Jordan, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Hal Jordan macrumors member

It honestly feels like Samsung came out of nowhere with some heavy hitting hardware. Or maybe I just don't keep up on my gadget news. Reading all the latest news articles regarding the gadget world, it really seems like Samsung has upped their game. TVs, laptops, cellphones, and tablets all look gorgeous and very high end. The Super PLS screen and resolution is just crazy at these prices. They totally got it right by putting their Touchwiz 4.0 on Honeycomb. All other Android tablets won't have anything to set them apart. I honestly had no interest in buying Android anything until I saw the Galaxy S2 and now these new Tablets.
    I've always been amused how Apple would send others back to the drawing board, but it now seems Apple is following the competition. First the iPad 2 follows up with cameras and a dual core chip that others already had. Now the iPhone 5 is coming out with specs that are already on the market. Things like 4 inch screen, NFC, and dual core are all already here. Seriously, times are changing.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

3. PCClone macrumors 6502a

There is no working device yet. Thanks for the new thread because the other 20 just didn't contain the same hard hitting facts as this one. Cool story bro!

So, where do I go to to buy one tomorrow?

4. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

5. X2468 macrumors regular

Please elaborate.

6. Hal Jordan thread starter macrumors member

Well you tell me? When you advertise the number of apps, retina display, thinnest whatever, Dual Core A5 chip (that's 2x faster), 2 cameras,......shall I go on? These are all specs.

We buy Apple products because of performance, and that performance is made possible from the specs. Please the old "Apple is not about the specs" is really an ignorant statement.

7. anhhungcodoc macrumors newbie

samsung is setting their future to go against ipad. they cant win now, but in the future when android tablet OS become better with better android app store, u never know :rolleyes:

8. thaialism macrumors member

ahahah, i buy apple for the design (look wise), and ease of use....in term of "specs" you could get more bang for your bucks....

9. Hal Jordan thread starter macrumors member

Didn't your mama ever tell you? Good things come to those who wait. :p

No seriously though, I hear ya on that fact they are yet to be released. The Tablets and Galaxy S2 at least. But I was talking more in terms of the overall product line-up from Samsung. I don't know, I guess I never really paid any attention to the brand before. We always talk of the Apple Ecosystem. But I'm just starting to see how this company really defines the whole complete ecosystem. They have a very real potential of being the one brand to run your whole household. They seriously have that deep of a product line that extends throughout the whole household. Scary thought.

10. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Until samsung makes software, they wont have the upper hand in anything. Look at the android phone market. No manufacture is known as "the" android phone maker. They all use the software that google gives them. They don't have exclusive apps like GarageBand,iMovie, etc. Whatever runs on the samsung tabs will work on the xoom and other android tabs

Apple, hp and rim are the only ones that make everything in-house. Out of rim and hp, I think hp has the potential to compete the best.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    was this really needed? another samsung thread??

Granted this isn't exactly written by Apple, but I think this is what you were getting at. http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/03/deciding-on-a-tablet-by-comparing-specs-youve-missed-the-point/

But in all seriousness how is this new Tab better than the iPad 2 spec-wise? Virtually the same thickness and weight. Very similar battery life, processor, both have 2 cameras (i don't care about a 3mp camera), and same price. So in my eyes it is something that is equally matching the iPad 2 in specs, but released 3 months (at a minimum) later and without the super successful Apple ecosystem. In my opinion this is a good tablet, but certainly nothing better than the iPad 2, and certainly won't sell nearly as well.

12. Hal Jordan thread starter macrumors member

Software wise yes, hardware wise no. Samsung is a true OEM. Being a true OEM lets you do things like what they did with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 since the release of the iPad 2. That is flexing true OEM muscle. Just think how Samsung can market this. As I stated, this is what a real Ecosystem looks like.

Cellphone - Tablet - Laptop

in complete and perfect harmony with..

TV - Range - Microwave - Coffee Maker - Fridge - Dishwasher - Washing Machine

All Samsung made. It's endless.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I think people should be temp banned for not using search. ;)

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It will remain to be seen if this adds or makes the Honeycomb experience any better. Wait and see approach here.

You do realize that Samsung was all set to come out with their 10 inch tablet, until Apple came out with the iPad 2? Samsung went back to their drawing board to come up with what you are now seeing.

As far as I know, there are no tablets or phones currently on the market with NFC. Apple has had this in R&D for a while. Whom exactly is Apple following in this technology? And dual core processors are an expected evolution of existing technology. Next will be quad core.

15. Hal Jordan thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do but I was referring to Apple no longer being first to the playing field with new features such as dual core and cameras on a specific device.

Nexus S has been out for some time now. And the Galaxy S2 out in April in Singapore also has NFC. Both are Galaxy S phones. Lets be real here though, all this competition is to our benefit regardless who comes out with what first. ;)

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

It's just one store. Android already has many stores. Apple is doomed ;)

17. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Let's be honest. What apple has that samsung and android don't is mindshare. Most people barely know what an iPad is, they sure don't know what a galaxy tab is. A lot of times the best I can do when trying to talk to someone about android tablets is field the question "oh, so is it like the iPad?"

Apple won the tablet battle for the forseeable future thanks to excellent marketing and the near-ubiquitous apple stores. People actually know what the tablets are, and have a chance to play with them and realize the "cool" factor.

The app store also does make a huge difference. A tablet will only be as good as the apps that run on it. Like Steve jobs says, the iPad is really more just a canvas for developers to paint their masterpieces on. Without the good apps, it's just a blank slate.

18. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

It makes sense what you are saying however they are not interrgrated. The cellphone might run android and will only interact with the tablet as much as google makes it possible. They laptop is windows, they want nothing to do with android. You won't see anything like the apple tv, iPad, iPhone, Mac integration. Only hp has that capability with web os and their own hardware

19. holyindian macrumors 6502

What is the point of using a super computer as a tablet when it cannot do anything more than browsing. No apps.. no use using a tablet.

20. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

There are only a handful of decent games and apps in the Android Market that I could find. I actually bought an HTC Evo 4G just for the sake of checking out the Android Market. The HTC is a beautiful phone, but the lack of content in the Android Market to me meant that I lost interest in the Android OS rather quickly. I just don't see these Android tablets taking off, until the Android Market does.

I do wonder what the tablet demographic would look like, if one came out with the capability of running DirectX11 games, and the desktop versions of Adobe Photoshop, even 3D Studio Max. I would actually stand in line for one of those.

21. Hal Jordan thread starter macrumors member

Not true, Samsung has already begun device compatibility. So far there are 2 new Samsung TV models that will stream live TV to your Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Tab 10.1. Galaxy 8.9 and other devices to follow. Samsung's huge advantage again is being a true OEM with a massive deep product line.
    Just think if Apple had anywhere near the product depth that Samsung has. Apple shoppers would jump all over Apple TV sets, Blu Ray players, Washing Machines, Dishwashers, etc....It would be amazing. But Apple is not OEM so it will never happen. The only other OEM that looks to be in this sweet spot is LG. Ecosystem is the buzzword these days, an it doesn't get more complete than this picture. The next five years are gonna be key.

22. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Exactly. The problem Android faces is that people don't really pay for Android apps to the extent they do with iOS apps. Huge difference in terms of potential payouts if you're an average developer deciding which platform to focus on. Also, another poster above hit the nail on the head when mentioning mindshare. The iPad is so far ahead of any of these other guys and no amount of fancy hardware in and of itself can make up for that. Apple has been out-"specced" before by its competitors, but it's really consumer mindshare that's important.

One thing Apple could do better is enhance communication/integration between iOS devices and between iOS devices Macs. Airplay, Facetime and Home Sharing are all a great step forward. The more linked all of these devices are, the harder it becomes to leave the ecosystem. Apple already has an installed base of hundreds of millions of iOS devices and Macs on which to capitalize. Pretty scary, actually, where they could take this. And an ecosystem of tightly integrated Apple products would potentially be much more potent than Samsung's lineup of consumer products precisely because Apple controls the software.

23. Justin Luck macrumors regular

The ~170 ppi of the 8.9-inch PLS display has certainly piqued my interest.

24. aohus macrumors 68000

PLS for the win. Its the direct competitor to Samsung's rival LG's IPS display technology.

In a recent article, the iPad 2 was rumored to have a PLS display. We know obviously that is not the case. but these new samsung tablets will.

it would look kinda like this

25. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If hardware is what makes u buy a tablet or phone........smh.

At the end of the day........it's still honeycomb.