Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, Samsung announced plans to shut down its Milk music streaming service in the United States, more than two years after it first launched. Milk Music, powered by Slacker Radio, was never able to compete with more popular music streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, and Apple Music.

As of September 22nd 2016, Milk Music will no longer be available. Samsung is encouraging current Milk Music users who want to continue to use the service to sign up for Slacker Radio, and listening history will be able to be transferred over.

samsungmilkmusic.jpg

Rather than pushing its own music service, Samsung says it plans to pursue a "partner model" that will allow Samsung devices to seamlessly integrate with third-party music services. Samsung also says it plans to "invest and refine" its strategy for delivering "new and engaging connected experiences" to its users.
Samsung is sun setting its Samsung Milk Music service in the United States on September 22, 2016.

We have made the strategic decision to invest in a partner model focused on seamlessly integrating the best music services available today into our family of Galaxy devices. We believe that working with partners will accelerate innovation, enhance device sales and provide amazing new experiences for our customers.

We have no additional details to share at this time.
Positioned as a freemium radio-style app that required users to pay $3.99 per month to remove ads, Milk Music was originally designed to compete with Pandora, but it never gained steam as a Pandora alternative. It was initially launched beside "Milk Video," a video aggregation app, but that was shuttered in 2015, and earlier this year, many Milk Music employees left the company.

Milk Music will continue to operate in South Korea, Malaysia, and China. It was also discontinued in Australia and New Zealand earlier this year.

Article Link: Samsung Shuttering its Milk Music Service in the United States

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It is amazing to me how many different music services are out there. In the end it seems that Spotify and Apple Music are in the front of the pack and pandora and tidal running behind. Most other streaming services still seem to be even further back.

In the meantime, I buy and own my music.
[doublepost=1471898883][/doublepost]
The milk finally expired
And it went sour.
Then it spilled.
And noone cried.

:D:p

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
Why did they call it Milk?
[doublepost=1471899450][/doublepost]
Seriously though? Apple Music is even more of a bugged mess on Android than it is on iOS.

And it has no Google Cast support, which makes it severely handicapped on Android.

Reactions: 69Mustang

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I have no idea how the service actually was, but man what a stupid name they chose. I only heard about it from my Samsung-obsessed friend, and even he refused to refer to it as "Milk".

Reactions: Col4bin

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Milk Music? WTF kind of a name is that? For all the heat Apple takes over naming various things, Sumsung has some pretty nutty ideas.

Reactions: cshouston

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The only thing that I liked about was that I could control the music playing in Milk Music with my Gear S watch. I probably used Milk Music a handful of times though in two years. I always had Apple Music installed on my Android phones and used it.

Reactions: ikir

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I had a S7 Edge and still had no idea wtf Milk was lol

Ditto I had an S6 most of last year and never heard of it. Google play music is probably the biggest disappointment so far. With how many Android users there are to have a native music app is nice. but restricting #of songs in playlists, no smart playlists it just lacks useful features.

Going to try Apple Music on a Nexus 6P. Wish me luck!

Reactions: mthomas184

mthomas184

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2016
Pittsburgh
Ditto I had an S6 most of last year and never heard of it. Google play music is probably the biggest disappointment so far. With how many Android users there are to have a native music app is nice. but restricting #of songs in playlists, no smart playlists it just lacks useful features.

Going to try Apple Music on a Nexus 6P. Wish me luck!

Haha I used Apple Music when it was in beta still and had no issues. But good luck!

I currently use Google Play on my iPhone but only because it was .99 for 3 months and came with YouTube red as well. After I'm probably going to subscribe to Apple Music

Reactions: JGIGS

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Had I even heard of this service before now, I wouldn't have used it exclusively because of the name. I'm totally serious. Milk Music?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.