Samsung Smart TVs to get iTunes App and AirPlay2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by anotherarunan, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Macalicious2011, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

The majority of consumers are not like many MacForum members who own multiple overlapping devices.

ATV doesn't even support 4K YouTube, so if I buy a Samsung TV and can manage, terrestrial TV, iTunes, 4K YouTube, Amazon Prime and AirPlay/casting using one remote, there is little reason to buy an Apple TV unless you are a deep pocketed techno snob.

This is a HUGE development and will help Apple generate more revenue from movies downloads which is more important than selling ATV units.:)

2. Topfry macrumors regular

I am casting doubt on the future of atv ( unless there is something better to take its place) the only differentiation between it and the competition has been the walled garden. If tvos is finding itself on other platforms (as an app or otherwise) who is going to buy two devices (tv and atv) when one will do?
    Also Interesting that you should mention Siri ( another languishing tech ) - I wonder how Bixby and Google will integrate with this app? I expect the os and voice control of the tv will take precedence. Apple has kept this all under tight control for more than a decade - this is a sea change. Not necessarily bad, but very different.

3. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Given how awful Siri is, I will buy a Samsung/LG TV if I can search iTunes video using Google Assist.

4. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I find it amusing that some people find it OK to stream an iTune 4K film on a smart TV especially a damn Samdung. The Apple TV does things well because it is beautiful implemented. Will a Samdung have a powerful processor to handle 4K HDR streaming from the iCloud? Heck, this site was in tears because they thought that the ATV would not have auto frame rate switching. Do you honestly think that a smart TV from Samdung would offer that? Hardly. It's a day and night comparison.
    Samsung exists for ONE reason only - to sell. It churns things out. It's the McDonalds on the tech / parts industry. Does it care what it's making and then superseding next year? I doubt it.
    That has never been Apple's culture.
    The argument on this site by a few is why buy that sexy red Ferrari when that old beige Ford Focus will do similar things.

Itunes is on smart TV platforms for one reason only - for its new streaming service. Whether you trust someone as unethical as Samdung with your Apple I.D. and password is another matter. But travelling this world, I have realised that there are some very silly people out there as well as some true angels. Some people just don't have the intelligence and knowledge to care, so I guess the Samdung approach will work for their TV binge watching.

Please don't try and compare and Smart TV that is underpowered, has poor security, is open to hacking and has very few OS updates to something like the Apple TV which is running probably the very best in its class OS based on iOS.

5. Topfry macrumors regular

Not comparing the quality of Apple TV tech to Samsung tv tech - comparing the markets; what the majority may think/buy to solve their needs.

6. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

I agree with you 110%.... I do wonder though, with MoviesEverywhere and everyone else already selling movies, what does iTunes offer that is unique, especially given these people are already avoiding apple? Some seem to think Apple is about to roll out a new service that is even more compelling than their catalog of movies (is that better than others?)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    I am no fan of Samsung either... but for all your concerns to be true, then Apple has to be a moron. Or, alternatively, Apple has a way to address your concerns. The devil is always in the details so we will see. But I tend to believe in Apple putting out good products, like the ATV, and doubt they would compromise their quality experience if they didn't have some answers to your points.

7. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Nothing in particular. This partnership serves the lowest common denominator which is iPhone/iPad owners with a TV in their lounge and there is a growing number of them.

ATV will still be worthy purchase for those who don't have a 2018-2019 Samsung TV.

Personally I think Apple will roll out an ATV stick or a cheaper ATV later this year.

8. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

You are “casting” doubt on the tv future. I see what you did there. I just think it’s premature to think that. I do not believe  will give up on it’s own hardware without replacing it with another piece of its own hardware. People will buy the hardware that suits their wants, needs, and budgets. Just like they do now. I still watch a lot of stuff on Amazon, but I don’t own any of its hardware. People will treat iTunes the same way. And smart TVs already exist and yet people still buy boxes. I don’t see how having iTunes on other platforms will change that. Once upon a time (2012) I had a smart tv, Roku, and an tv 3. That’s still my TV today. I no longer have the Roku nor the tv 3. The TV no longer receives updates, but it’s still a perfectly good TV. The Roku became outdated and couldn’t get new apps. And the tv 3 still works. I replaced it only because I wanted everything the tv 4 offered. I’m still using the tv 4 and my sister used my tv 3 for a year before upgrading to the tv 4. I never said Siri was good/bad. I just said she was still exclusive. There’s no lie in that so my point still stands. I don’t know how Bixby/Google will integrate. That’s gonna he part of what’s interesting. Ultimately, my point is this is about content distribution not hardware.  will get its coins from people one way or another. I’m just betting on it getting the coins from both. I’m most interested in the privacy aspect of it all. ’s made privacy a big reason to choose them over a competitor. Or does it not matter? And it will be like how Music is on Android. I suspect so, but I still want more information.

BTW, Vizio has also announced support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit. I wrote the first paragraph earlier. Siri isn’t exclusive anymore.

9. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Another important point is that most consumers only replace their TV every 5-10 years. Someone who bought a Samsung TV in 2017 isn't going to upgrade to a 2019 model just to get iTunes. For them it will be cheaper to buy ATV.

Apple are acting and being open minded now before obsolescent accelerate. This fate applies to all boxes are some TVs and sounders increasingly have Chromecast and Google Assist built in.

10. JBaby macrumors regular

JBaby

Yes, that’s the point I tried to stress earlier too. My mom’s TV will be three years old in June. She’d never even consider upgrading her set now. I wouldn’t either. Hell my TV will be seven years old this year and I’m not upgrading it.

11. Topfry macrumors regular

Ha ha not sure what I did there , but ok... I’ve actually been through all the Apple TVs myself except version 1.
    My argument stems from imagining where Apple can go next with the ATV, now this has happened, that can’t already be achieved through tv software. The main two possibilities seem to me to be a router/HomeKit hub ATV or an actual TV set, but this move and all the recent press suggest Apple is more interested in services for future focus. If this version of the ATV is going to be compelling it needs some kind of differentiation that by comparison makes it more desirable. It will no longer be able to offer that against an integrated tv.
    Yes people don’t buy TVs frequently, and they only buy set top boxes slightly more frequently, but if there is a compelling reason and your tv is more than 5 years old then people will buy. If your set is 5 years old that would mean no 4K, no OLED, few smart features, would no longer be supported in software, no AirPlay, no iTunes app etc etc In other words you may well buy one. Unless you have little interest in tv and video, a 2019 tv upgrades your experience in almost every way. But then, why would you purchase another ATV in addition to this tv?
    I am glad there has been some new development in the area of TV at Apple, its languished a bit of late; but this is a strong purposeful development. It changes things though, and I’m not sure we will still need one before buying a new tv. The ATV was always a hobby, anyway.

12. KamranMackey macrumors 6502

KamranMackey

No. Samsung TVs just don't support Dolby Vision. They're the main holdout on the DV front, as they're primarily biased towards HDR 10+, their own HDR standard. If you want Dolby Vision, don't get a Samsung TV as you'll be stuck with HDR10 since almost no content supports HDR10+.