Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Do you know how many phones Samsung sold after the survey was published on 20th May 2014 to give a definitive answer to that? For all we know the phone's in Samsung's range in the same class as the iPhone perhaps sold more or continued to sell less? I don't think any of us know that right now.

We have evidence that among the people surveyed in North America up until 20th May, more people were satisfied with their Samsung mobile phones than any other manufacturer. This does not take into account further sales beyond that point of the S5, Note 3 and the releases of the Note Edge and Note 4 following later in the year. Also not to mention more of the competition from LG, Moto, and Apple to name a few, plus the percentage of people who did not take part.

I get the impression we really should have been discussing this survey 8 months ago when it was originally published as it seems fruitless attempting to apply it to the current state of play.
No i don't do you? The poll does not include the Note 4 or the Alpha correct. It might go higher based on those phone models. We don't know yet. But the pol was taken shortly after the release of the Galaxy S5 so they must have been really happy with the Samsung phones they based there opinions on!

I don't know why you and a few others have such a hard time with this poll. There have been numerous other polls where Apple came out on top and may again. Do you spend this much time panning those results? I think not. Its ok....your iphone is still great phone no matter what.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No i don't do you?
No I don't know the answer, that is why I wrote what is in bold below:
Do you know how many phones Samsung sold after the survey was published on 20th May 2014 to give a definitive answer to that? For all we know the phone's in Samsung's range in the same class as the iPhone perhaps sold more or continued to sell less? I don't think any of us know that right now.
I don't doubt people were very happy with their Samsung phone's, I actually keep saying I don't doubt it. If somebody came into my place of work and surveyed people here they would almost definitely come away with the iPhone being the most popular and satisfactory phone. I couldn't then apply that to the rest of the UK though and suggest a fraction of people asked here was representative. Every poll whether it supports Apple, Samsung, matey boy's garage workshop should be viewed with an open mind and with a little pinch of salt IMO.
I don't know why you and a few others have such a hard time with this poll. There have been numerous other polls where Apple came out on top and may again. Do you spend this much time panning those results? I think not. Its ok....your iphone is still great phone no matter what.
I don't have a problem with the poll because when viewed in context, it is what it is. I do feel you are continually trying to follow the original articles slant by applying it to 2014 overall and that is why myself and a fair few others keep pointing out how old it is simply for context. I don't generally study poll's that often but if I see one supporting Apple and I think is skewed or out of date like this one, I feel I am free to point it out. I would say it is only fair to do that.

At the end of the day if this poll and story attached make anybody feel better about their purchase or feelings on the market, then fair enough, more power to them. It is just an interesting topic to discuss here and I think we've scratched beneath the surface enough to draw our own conclusions now. :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thats cause Im replying to you and the tired old rhetoric........
Apple sells more phones and makes more money.......all true! Samsung lost money....true! But from less sales more people were happy with the Samsung phones they did buy. That says a lot. It will be interesting to see some year end customer sat polls. It could all reverse itself. You never know.......

Yes I agree it will be interesting to see the gap between sales and satisfaction for year end, and to see what the granddaddy of all survey takers, jd powers, has to say.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I don't remember anyone being this hard up in trying to invalidate the same survey when apple was on top. Just show how silly, immature and sore loser some apple fans are. How can anything be on top all the time?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes I agree it will be interesting to see the gap between sales and satisfaction for year end, and to see what the granddaddy of all survey takers, jd powers, has to say.
It will be interesting to see how a few people here react if there is a poll that has Apple on top of the customer sat polls. I wonder if they will pan the results and ask if the questions were slanted or all the other objections in this thread. It will be quite interesting........

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I don't remember anyone being this hard up in trying to invalidate the same survey when apple was on top. Just show how silly, immature and sore loser some apple fans are. How can anything be on top all the time?

Yes this is truly a crazy thread. Can't the survey just be what it is? there is still some merit to this dated survey itself.

...must discredit anything that shows android in a positive light...

Hopefully apple wins all future surveys so we can have some peace and quiet

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It will be interesting to see how a few people here react if there is a poll that has Apple on top of the customer sat polls. I wonder if they will pan the results and ask if the questions were slanted or all the other objections in this thread. It will be quite interesting........

I wonder if anyone will notice a trend between sales and satisfaction. An iPhone what being an overpriced calculator and all its a wonder anyone likes them, much less buys them.

----------

So that is your take about a year out of date survey being passed off as current? Silly, sore loser immature? Okay this is macrumors where all opinions even those that might be silly and immature are welcomed.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wonder if anyone will notice a trend between sales and satisfaction. An iPhone what being an overpriced calculator and all its a wonder anyone likes them, much less buys them.

We all noticed.....Samsung sold fewer phones yet more people were satisfied with them. That is a trend between sales and satisfaction. You don't have to sell the most or make the most money to come out on top of customer satisfaction polls.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Yes this is truly a crazy thread. Can't the survey just be what it is? there is still some merit to this dated survey itself.

...must discredit anything that shows android in a positive light...

Hopefully apple wins all future surveys so we can have some peace and quiet
I think it is quite disappointing that we are having a decent discussion here and then we get 2 posts like this that just try and bring everything down. Nobody here is being immature or a sore loser. We have had differing opinions bouncing around and of course peoples loyalties and experiences are different but that is what makes discussion fun rather than mundane with everybody agreeing with each other. I think some should take a long hard look at that concept.

Anyway, lets grant the wish and applaud Samsung on their feat and not discuss any further at risk of offence. Pathetic but I wish you all well. :rolleyes:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I apologize but I thought this thread had been in the mud for quite some time

Typical flamewar veiled in another context

I have no loyalty btw, I couldnt care less about these entity's as companies. I am a user of their products, my interest and allegiance ends there. I remain platform agnostic so I can move quickly when one of them gets too high on the ******** meter, of which they all can get pretty high on since their existence is based on extracting money from us /rant

sales, profits, someone else's customer satisfaction are all irrelevant as long as the device is supported after purchase and I like it.

With the amount of posters here panning the results relentlessly it isn't so hard to construe there are some sore losers around here.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A number of sources that have used the original BGR article have since issued amendments to the article to point out the data on the survey is from May 2014.

(Update: An earlier version of this article referenced the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, but the data was actually based on a survey from May 2014, before those phones were released. We regret the error and have updated the post.)

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/30/samsung-apple-satisfaction/

I am sure the author Davindra Hardawar who is contactable via twitter can be slated for making corrections along with the editors of the other sites who have also done this.
-----------------------------------------
In other news Apple have topped the poll for consumer satisfaction too!

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-takes-top-spot-in-us-smartphone-satisfaction-stats-18140863/

I would say I am waiting for somebody to point out that the article is from 2011 but it doesn't matter obviously, because out of date articles are fun to discuss and call each other sore losers over. It is what it is and lets give all the manufacturers a clap. :p

Its been fun ladies and gentlemen, stay classy, au revoir. :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We all noticed.....Samsung sold fewer phones yet more people were satisfied with them. That is a trend between sales and satisfaction. You don't have to sell the most or make the most money to come out on top of customer satisfaction polls.

Kind of. When your business rates high in satisfaction but your financials are in big trouble, makes one wonder if the survey got it wrong. At least that's my thought others may take it more at face value.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Congrats to Apple mate
I wish I had the means to pass that on! Lets hope next year when they release the iPhone 5 it makes a bigger impression than the current 4S. I might be tempted to dump my HTC Incredible S and finally buy an iPhone, although the spy shots of the S3 look tempting. I might get that for a few months and see what Apple offer.

**Sorry I rewound to 2011 there**

Congrats to all on satisfaction.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
A number of sources that have used the original BGR article have since issued amendments to the article to point out the data on the survey is from May 2014.

I am sure the author Davindra Hardawar who is contactable via twitter can be slated for making corrections along with the editors of the other sites who have also done this.

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-takes-top-spot-in-us-smartphone-satisfaction-stats-18140863/

I would say I am waiting for somebody to point out that the article is from 2011 but it doesn't matter obviously, because out of date articles are fun to discuss and call each other sore losers over. It is what it is and lets give all the manufacturers a clap. :p

LOL sour grapes much?
Of course data from 2011 and and say 6 months ago are exactly the same!!!
Congratulations!!!
The poll you mentioned has very accurate data from almost 4 years ago compared to almost 6 months ago! I am so glad you provided such relevant data for us all to reminisce about from 4 years ago!

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Has the report quoted by bgr been superceded by a later version? I assume not since no one mentioned anything. Suffice to say that is the latest one.

If tomorrow a newer version of that report came out and said apple is on top...but a few months later someone said that report is nonsense because it did not include s6. That would be silly of that person to have said that isn't it?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
LOL sour grapes much?
Of course data from 2011 and and say 6 months ago are exactly the same!!!
Congratulations!!!
The poll you mentioned has very accurate data from almost 4 years ago compared to almost 6 months ago! I am so glad you provided such relevant data for us all to reminisce about from 4 years ago!
Not sour grapes, just context.
Whether it is 6 months ago or 4 years ago, it doesn't matter if there is doubt the data does not convey the current state. Applying either to the present would be irrelevant, if trying to gage a current perspective. It is great for nostalgia though. Thank you too for providing data from last year as I return your kind sentiment. As many of us keep saying but with different takes on what we should be applauding, credit to Samsung in a survey that is what it is.
Has the report quoted by bgr been superceded by a later version? I assume not since no one mentioned anything. Suffice to say that is the latest one.

If tomorrow a newer version of that report came out and said apple is on top...but a few months later someone said that report is nonsense because it did not include s6. That would be silly of that person to have said that isn't it?
No the report has not been superseded as I would imagine it is an annual report and May 2015 has not come yet. Indeed if tomorrow a report surfaced from the present and said HTC or Apple were on top in satisfaction then yes we could discuss it for what it is in the present. Of course 6 months down the line it would be irrelevant, do you not think? It really shouldn't boil down to explaining the concept of time to people, especially in a rapidly changing global market. Apple could go bust 6 months down the line and have all their assets liquidated for example. You couldn't still say they are the top if they no longer existed, so the time of publication plays a major part in how the findings can be judged and received.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung squeezed past Apple in consumer satisfaction for smartphones

Not sour grapes, just context.
Whether it is 6 months ago or 4 years ago, it doesn't matter if there is doubt the data does not convey the current state. Applying either to the present would be irrelevant, if trying to gage a current perspective. It is great for nostalgia though. Thank you too for providing data from last year as I return your kind sentiment. As many of us keep saying but with different takes on what we should be applauding, credit to Samsung in a survey that is what it

Trying to equate data from 4 years ago as the same as 6 months ago equals to not being in touch with reality.
The amount of energy you have spent trying to cast this poll in a negative light is enlightening and amusing.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
No the report has not been superseded as I would imagine it is an annual report and May 2015 has not come yet. Indeed if tomorrow a report surfaced from the present and said HTC or Apple were on top in satisfaction then yes we could discuss it for what it is in the present. Of course 6 months down the line it would be irrelevant, do you not think? It really shouldn't boil down to explaining the concept of time to people, especially in a rapidly changing global market. Apple could go bust 6 months down the line and have all their assets liquidated for example. You couldn't still say they are the top if they no longer existed, so the time of publication plays a major part in how the findings can be judged and received.

Why is it irrelevant now? Who knows maybe the next update Samsung will still be on top. You wanted to make it irrelevant just because you want Apple will be on top again.

How long ago did apple and Samsung released the previous financial results? According to your definiton those are already irrelevant and outdated by now. So those posters who used those financial reports to say apple sales is going up and Samsung is going down are just talking nonsense...according to you.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Trying to equate data from 4 years ago as the same as 6 months ago equals to not being in touch with reality.
The amount of energy you have spent trying to cast this poll in a negative light is enlightening and amusing.

The results were published 8 months ago, the data is a year or more old. The amount of energy expended in trying to support a year old survey given the current state of the companies involved is amusing.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
The results were published 8 months ago, the data is a year or more old. The amount of energy expended in trying to support a year old survey given the current state of the companies involved is amusing.

So given your posted dislike for polls (so you say) you have not said a word about the poll the others have posted.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Yet the energy spent to discredit it (along with your incessant negativity in this subforum) is not amusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.