Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t3k

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Hi, I planned to buy this SSD, before I install on my MBP can I connect it to Windows via USB to SATA cable and update the firmware there?

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Can you do this even if the 840 is in a USB enclosure?

From my understanding, these SSD Firmware updates are a bit like TRIM and Secure Erase, where the SSD must be on an interface that can support the full ATA command set. Upgrading it while it's inside a USB enclosure probably won't work.

----------

Hi, I planned to buy this SSD, before I install on my MBP can I connect it to Windows via USB to SATA cable and update the firmware there?

You should connect it to an actual SATA interface of the Windows PC - assuming the PC is a desktop and there are spare SATA ports.

Even if the PC is a laptop with a 2.5 inch drive, you might be able to replace the existing drive with the SSD and use the update listed as "Dos version for MAC, Linux users".

t3k

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
From my understanding, these SSD Firmware updates are a bit like TRIM and Secure Erase, where the SSD must be on an interface that can support the full ATA command set. Upgrading it while it's inside a USB enclosure probably won't work.

----------

You should connect it to an actual SATA interface of the Windows PC - assuming the PC is a desktop and there are spare SATA ports.

Even if the PC is a laptop with a 2.5 inch drive, you might be able to replace the existing drive with the SSD and use the update listed as "Dos version for MAC, Linux users".

Thanks man, nice info. Yes it's desktop PC.

Btw is the SATA ports for 2.5" different from the desktop 3.5" ?

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Thanks man, nice info. Yes it's desktop PC.

Btw is the SATA ports for 2.5" different from the desktop 3.5" ?

No they should be the same. I have a desktop PC running Linux and the SATA connector is the same regardless of the drive format 2.5" or 3.5".

I've done firmware updates on Crucial SSDs with just a temporary SATA data and power cable connected to the drive. Power down the PC and remove the covers so you can access the SATA cables, connect the SATA power and data cables to the SSD, then power up and run the firmware updater.

In theory the 2.5" drive might need +5v and 3.3v ,while the 3.5" drive also needs +12v, but the connector works for either size, so you shouldn't have any problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

t3k

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
No they should be the same. I have a desktop PC running Linux and the SATA connector is the same regardless of the drive format 2.5" or 3.5".

I've done firmware updates on Crucial SSDs with just a temporary SATA data and power cable connected to the drive. Power down the PC and remove the covers so you can access the SATA cables, connect the SATA power and data cables to the SSD, then power up and run the firmware updater.

In theory the 2.5" drive might need +5v and 3.3v ,while the 3.5" drive also needs +12v, but the connector works for either size, so you shouldn't have any problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Thanks for your explanation man! :)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You're absolutely in the right for that quoted part, my bad! My anger is growing a bit to much on me. Why do companies like Apple, Samsung and all others want to make a profit, despite the mishaps of their clients combined products?
People are not very bothered by it, so they buy their products.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009

Wouldn't bet on it, no.
The SSD should be connected via SATA.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
If I read this thread correctly, has ANYONE has found a way to do the "performance restoration fix" on MB Pro's that don't have a CD/Superdrive installed?

Has ANYONE found a way to boot on an external USB stick and do the update?

Has ANYONE found a way to do the update with a external/USB CD-ROM?

If anyone has any way to do it, please let me know where to get the detailed info.

Thanks a million, IAN. :)

amors

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
If I read this thread correctly, has ANYONE has found a way to do the "performance restoration fix" on MB Pro's that don't have a CD/Superdrive installed?
If anyone has any way to do it, please let me know where to get the detailed info.

Once more:

For me - yes. I burned ISO to a dvd with disk utility. And boot from external USB DVD.
After burning I booting with Alt-key, select USB drive and firmware program started. Macbook 13, Mid 2010.

It just worked.

amors

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
Amors:

And how did you burn the ISO to DVD, any specific details? :)

IAN.

With Disk Utility. I do not have an internally optical drive. I have eSAU108 external DVD-writer from Lite-On, a USB powered drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 16.49.34.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 16.49.34.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 128

jkarol3

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
I bit the bullet and tried installing the fix. Seems to have worked. Here's what I did;

As always, PLEASE BACKUP YOUR DRIVE FIRST.

I downloaded the ISO file. Burned it to a blank dvd with disk utility. Rebooted the Mac pressing the ALT key, this allowed me to select the boot up disk. Selected the DVD as the boot up disk. Mac loads into DOS. (So strange to see that!) Applied the fix. (This updates the firmware first, then applies the fix). Once done, reboot. Enjoy!

I have noticed an overall improvement, YMMV.

Just to say this again, please make sure to backup your HD first. The firmware update and/or the fix MAY wipe your drive clean. So please make sure YOU BACK UP FIRST.

Anyways, that's what I did and all seems good now.

Good luck!

When I did this and option booted I get the external CD disk labeled "Windows". When I click on that it goes to dos and states please insert a bootable disk. What am I doing wrong? I also have Parallels on my Mac so not sure if that is causing an issue.

----------

For me - yes. I burned ISO to a dvd with disk utility. And boot from external USB DVD.

When I do this using the ISO file all I get is the "Windows" Disk to show up when I option boot which is not correct. If I click that it asks me to insert a bootable disk. What gives?

----------

When I do this using the ISO file all I get is the "Windows" Disk to show up when I option boot which is not correct. If I click that it asks me to insert a bootable disk. What gives?

amors

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
If I click that it asks me to insert a bootable disk. What gives?
I don't know. Yes, in boot options external CD disk labeled "Windows". I select it and my Mac loads into DOS. It did not ask me to insert a bootable disk.

jkarol3

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
I don't know. Yes, in boot options external CD disk labeled "Windows". I select it and my Mac loads into DOS. It did not ask me to insert a bootable disk.

Did you burn the .ISO file or change the extension to .DMG before burning?

jkarol3

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Did you burn the .ISO file or change the extension to .DMG before burning?

OK got it to work on my 2012 Mini running Yosemite:

I downloaded the .iso file
burned to DVD (note: I did not change the extension to .dmg as some have noted)
Booted using option and picked the CD that said "Windows" (note: DVD drive must be connected directly to Mac. I tried connected to Thunderbolt display and it did not work)
Once I picked the "Window" drive it booted into DOS and asked if I wanted to continue.
Took about 45 minutes to do my 500GB drive that was half full.

Furry.Marsupial

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
Melbourne,Australia
Took about 45 minutes to do my 500GB drive that was half full.

I gave up on a new 500Gb EVO. NO way to boot it. Put it in a Win7 box and it took about 20 minutes. The data doesn't seem to blow the time out - the flash was quick but the mucking about with blocks seems to still happen

silvad0ugh

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
No luck with USB Stick

No, nobody has figured out the external USB stick way of doing it as far as I can tell!

I'm still waiting on a clear cut way to do it. I got as far as getting SYSLINUX and rEFFIt onto my USB drive, but then get lost as to what firmware files need to be where, etc. because when I alt-boot and go into rEFFIt it says please insert bootable disk. No idea how to fix this.

I just can't understand why it's so difficult. I haven't installed my new drive yet because I figured I'd want to upgrade the firmware first before putting all of my files on it, but my patience is running thin.

jkarol3

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
No, nobody has figured out the external USB stick way of doing it as far as I can tell!

I'm still waiting on a clear cut way to do it. I got as far as getting SYSLINUX and rEFFIt onto my USB drive, but then get lost as to what firmware files need to be where, etc. because when I alt-boot and go into rEFFIt it says please insert bootable disk. No idea how to fix this.

I just can't understand why it's so difficult. I haven't installed my new drive yet because I figured I'd want to upgrade the firmware first before putting all of my files on it, but my patience is running thin.

It may be easier to buy a cheap DVD drive and use that.

jkarol3

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
That won't work as it has to be connected internally via Sata, and not USB external.

The SSD needs to be inside (SATA connected) but the DVD burner (external) via USB is just to redo the FW. That is what I used and no issues. You option boot and pick the CD drive to start the process.

diegie

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2014
Hi everybody,

I bought a Samsung 840 Evo (256gb) for my Macbook Pro mid 2009.
Installed it and everything is working fine. Found out that it's recommended to install Trim Enabler, and also that is working fine.

Now that I see this thread here I was wondering:

1. How can I find out which firmware version my SSD is?
2. Is the firmware update really necessary for "regular day to day use"?
3. Where to get the correct version?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
^^ Apple logo > About this Mac > System Report > click on SATA. There you'll find all info's about your SSD! If you don't have the latest firmware, read this thread for information about the update and how to update yours.

SAM%20840%20EVO%20SSD%20firmware.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I have similar questions on how "needed" is this firmware update? I've had my Samsung EVO SSD for almost a year now (January 2014), and I've had 0 issues with it. I'm running a fresh install of Yosemite (with TRIM enabled), and have had no issues as far as I can tell.

Is this update really needed? Or is this more of users just wanting the latest and greatest firmware for their SSDs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.