Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Given how obsessed apple fanatics are, steve jobs could release a turd on a plate, call it the iTurd and you'd still have apple evangelicals lining up in sleeping bags and tents 2 days before it goes on sale.

I don't recall seeing a line up for the new iMac, Mac mini, MacbookAir, Airport Express or the iPod's.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I don't recall seeing a line up for the new iMac, Mac mini, MacbookAir, Airport Express or the iPod's.

True enough. There seems to be this mass hysteria only surrounding iPhone/iPad. Honestly I don't understand why you MUST HAVE IT ON THAT DAY syndrome. So many people are afflicted with "instant gratification" to a crippling degree. It's even sadder I think with these people because I think they are the ones who make less money and can ill afford an iPhone on a monthly basis.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
But wouldn't it be funny if Apple's cart gets overturned again like it did decades ago? Jobs didn't change his closed platform and it cost him the pc war and he came right back and did it in the mobile market. What if it backfires again? :eek:

What if I get hit by lightning today? OMG it might actually happen! :roll eyes:

What if this? What if that? Wouldn't it be this? Wouldn't it be that?

Gotta love the "what ifs" and "wouldn't it be's."

These aren't the 90s. Apple's business model is now proven. In fact, some are busy trying to emulate it today.

Apple's penalty for "losing" the PC war in the 1990s is that they're now the most profitable PC maker in the world. Mac sales growth has outpaced the industry for over 25 consecutive quarters. Apple owns the $1000+ category. And they are set to have another record quarter (already well into double-digit share in the US) selling expensive gear that runs an unlicensed, closed-platform OS.

Apple actually won the PC war. Because they ended up winning by every single metric that actually matters.

Yep, you got yer pick of the PC mish-mash.

But a Mac is still a Mac.

There were lineups in Hong Kong for the new MacBook Airs. ;) The ones that the competition is currently trying desperately to compete with.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...long_lines_stock_outs_in_hong_kong_debut.html

Apple sold out of them in no time.

Not that long lines are a bad thing. People tend to line up for great products that are in high demand. The also-rans would love line-ups.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That's my point. German court is very fair and if they found "trade dress" infringement then there's something there. I mean hell, you just put a Samsung Galaxy phone or tablet right up next to the iPhone/iPad and it's almost identical! The average consumer would easily be confused and buy the Samsung!

The Dutch court which is also very fair found the same "trade dress" claims were non-infringing, so much so, they stated Apple's registered design might not even survive a court case.

Again, 2 courts, same claims, same design registration, 2 verdicts. Why do you feel the German one has more weight ?

----------

Also, don't forget that Oracle may have stranglehold on Android, via google's missteps. If Oracle wins they are going to get licensing fees from every android maker.

Oracle's lawsuit is crumbling. Their claims have been slashed, their patents found invalid and their damage awards severely reduced. And they are still in the process of discovery, they haven't even reached trial yet.

I wouldn't count on Oracle too much.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
What if I get hit by lightning today? OMG it might actually happen! :roll eyes:

What if this? What if that? Wouldn't it be this? Wouldn't it be that?

Gotta love the "what ifs" and "wouldn't it be's."

These aren't the 90s. Apple's business model is now proven. In fact, some are busy trying to emulate it today.

Apple's penalty for "losing" the PC war in the 1990s is that they're now the most profitable PC maker in the world. Mac sales growth has outpaced the industry for over 25 consecutive quarters. Apple owns the $1000+ category. And they are set to have another record quarter (already well into double-digit share in the US) selling expensive gear that runs an unlicensed, closed-platform OS.

Apple actually won the PC war. Because they ended up winning by every single metric that actually matters.

Yep, you got yer pick of the PCs.

But a Mac is still a Mac.

Yea, Apple won the pc wars. :rolleyes: You sound like a broken record. Have some personal pride.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yep, customer satisfaction means you won. Of course you don't like sales figures unless they favor Apple in some way. Otherwise you ignore or dismiss them. Or don't bother replying as happens in many cases. That seems a bit hypocritical, doesn't it?

PC record sales happen for one reason. Apple record sales happen for entirely different reasons.

Sales figures alone don't tell the whole story.

It depends on what's behind the numbers.

Sales figures - the rhyme and reason for them, are an entirely different beast when it comes to PCs, and likewise, an entirely different beast when it comes to Apple. They aren't the same companies, nor are their strategies the same.

To examine sales figures divorced from their strategic and market context is a waste of time and will lead you to false conclusions.

Apple gear sells for one set of reasons. MS for another.

Not all sales figures are created equal. Understand what's behind them.

So yes, one record sales figure isn't necessarily as impressive as another one.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Why do you bother coming here?
It can only be sadness at buying the wrong phone or jealousy.
I'm sure that no iPhone owners bother going to an HTC rumours site (if one exists) to post.
What is you exact purpose when visiting this web site?

I am awaiting the long needed return of the Newton. I need Newton OS 3 on my 2 Newtons.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
PC record sales happen for one reason. Apple record sales happen for entirely different reasons.

Sales figures alone don't tell the whole story.

It depends on what's behind the numbers.

Sales figures - the rhyme and reason for them, are an entirely different beast when it comes to PCs, and likewise, an entirely different beast when it comes to Apple. They aren't the same companies, nor are their strategies the same.

To examine sales figures divorced from their strategic and market context is a waste of time and will lead you to false conclusions.

Apple gear sells for one set of reasons. MS for another.

Not all sales figures are created equal. Understand what's behind them.

So yes, one record sales figure isn't necessarily as impressive as another one.

As I said, you only look at sales figures if supports your Apple is king viewpoint. If another companies sales figures are greater, you dismiss it as irrelevant and that only the categories concerning Apple are what matter. And only you are capable of deciding which ones matter. Like I said, it sounds a bit hypocritical to me, but what do I know, I'm open minded?

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Are any of anyones patents really innovative anymore?

.. BASIC?

no way! it takes a lot to "innovate" round edged rectangles you know.

They've both copied my video displays. The HP ones have a narrow bezel & rounded corners. It looks like HP should be suing Apple & keeping them from selling any product they make that fits that description.

If I was to design a tablet I wold have as narrow bezels as possible as every fraction of inch counts big here. Because my cases will be made out of something that is hard like plastic or metal it is much safer & easier on my customers the corners are rounded. That one may require the payment to all of the kitchen counter manufacturers that ease corners for looks & saftey. Then there are the people that are making rounded corners on dry walled walls. They are making rounded corners for many decades now for safety reasons. My daughter got 8 stitches thanks to the hard steel corners. I don't want my tablet or any other device that I make to be able to do that much physical damage to any of my customers.

This may sound stupid to you too but it just shows what Apple is being given patents on. It seems that they did no inovation here. How can they be given patents on anything so basic. If they are being given patents on a non-innovative items such as these how are we to believe that they are the only ones.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
As I said, you only look at sales figures if supports your Apple is king viewpoint. If another companies sales figures are greater, you dismiss it as irrelevant

When you license out your OS to everyone and their dog thanks to a decades-entrenched universal-licensing racket, record sales aren't that impressive.

It's like catching a fish at a trout farm.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
*LTD* - Apple won the premium PC wars on the consumer side. That's the extent of it dude. Don't inflate them beyond all imagination.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I think samsung is more aggressive now, because Apple is doing its best to move there manufacturing to other businesses. Apple is Samsung's biggest client, so losing your biggest client is a great reason to want to take them for everything while you still can.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
I think samsung is more aggressive now, because Apple is doing its best to move there manufacturing to other businesses. Apple is Samsung's biggest client, so losing your biggest client is a great reason to want to take them for everything while you still can.

You do realize that Apple is under contract with Samsung? They can't just dump them out of spite. Besides Samsung isn't stupid. They know which way the winds are blowing wrt Apple. With Windows 8 coming out, I can see Samsung redirecting their resources towards building tablets for that + supplying other OEMs that will build Windows 8 tablets. Believe me, that $7 billion will be easily replaced by the time Apple's contract runs out.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
seriously, all Samsung needs is a killer operating system that rivals Android OS with functionality, and has the ease of use of iOS, and they can be serious competitors to the trending walled gardens we are seeing. Bada OS doesn't cut it.

Samsung is the largest technology company in the world

Samsung has one of the most far reaching supply chains in the world

Samsung has the most patents out of any other mobile company

And lets remember that Apple is the company that came into Samsung's territory by going into the mobile space, not vice versa. Not saying that is bad or anything.

i'm seeing a lot of comments brushing off Samsung like they're some small amateur company, which I find amusing to be honest. Samsung is a huge conglomerate, with full support from the Korean government. In fact, its almost fair to say that the Korean gov't is part Samsung itself.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The Dutch court which is also very fair found the same "trade dress" claims were non-infringing, so much so, they stated Apple's registered design might not even survive a court case.

Again, 2 courts, same claims, same design registration, 2 verdicts. Why do you feel the German one has more weight ?

----------

Oracle's lawsuit is crumbling. Their claims have been slashed, their patents found invalid and their damage awards severely reduced. And they are still in the process of discovery, they haven't even reached trial yet.

I wouldn't count on Oracle too much.

Really, Everything I have read is that no claims have been slashed, so far oracle patents are valid, and google couldn't get the copyright part of the case thrown out. Obviously you haven't read the public transcripts.

Go spend a week reading fosspatents rather than one PCMag article if you want to find in depth analysis.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
*LTD* - Apple won the premium PC wars on the consumer side. That's the extent of it dude.

And that's all that really matters to consumers. I'm a consumer, and so are you. These are what we use by *choice*, not what we use because IT departments force them on us - because they went with the cheapest option and are looking to cut cut cut and cut some more.

Apple's success is driven purely and consistently by consumer choice. Given Apple's performance in a recession, there's nothing else behind it but the fact that consumers are looking for a real value proposition.

MS and the PC box-makers have done a great job of flooding the market.

Apple has done a great job of capturing consumers' hearts and minds.

seriously, all Samsung needs is a killer operating system that rivals Android OS with functionality, and has the ease of use of iOS.

That's asking them to turn into Apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
When you license out your OS to everyone and their dog thanks to a decades-entrenched universal-licensing racket, record sales aren't that impressive.

It's like catching a fish at a trout farm.

Whatever you say. But if Apple had done the same, you'd be hear touting how great it was.

And that's all that really matters to consumers. I'm a consumer, and so are you. These are what we use by *choice*, not what we use because IT departments force them on us - because they went with the cheapest option and are looking to cut cut cut and cut some more.

Apple's success is driven purely and consistently by consumer choice. Given Apple's performance in a recession, there's nothing else behind it but the fact that consumers are looking for a real value proposition.

MS and the PC box-makers have done a great job of flooding the market.

You do realize that more consumers buy non Apple computers than they do Apple computers, don't you?

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
And lets remember that Apple is the company that came into Samsung's territory by going into the mobile space, not vice versa. Not saying that is bad or anything.

Didn't Mr. Jobs cuss off Google when Google decided to enter into mobile market (after iPhone came out), calling them evil, in an all hands meeting at Apple HQ? Ironic I must say.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Samsung is the largest technology company in the world

Samsung has one of the most far reaching supply chains in the world

Samsung has the most patents out of any other mobile company

So where were they in June 2007?

Somewhere not giving the iPhone keynote.

Where were they in January 2010?

Somewhere not giving the iPad keynote.

Size and patent portfolio are meaningless when you're a visionless, corrupt bull-**** artist.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011

That's asking them to turn into Apple.

Uh really? I like my iMac, but I would never use it as my primary PC over my Windows 7 box. Accuse me of being brainwashed into the Windows UI, but I prefer it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.