Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
that commercial is just wrong in so many ways its not even funny, HOWEVER i think it will be effective with a lot of impressionable people that are easily impressed by stupid ***** like unusably large screens and being able to create funny pictures on your cell phone.

Look at Apple's 4S commercials. They are almost all revolving completely around Siri, a service that is often down, and can't do half the stuff that the watcher is lead to believe it will do for him. All the while, Siri is still considered beta, another thing that Apple doesn't tell you. Let's be reasonable. It's marketing. Everybody does it.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow. That's the dumbest commercial ever. Why would I ever want to do that with my phone? The pen was already annoying with my Palm back in the days.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I went to the AT&T store a couple days ago to check out the Note. For some reason they didn't even have any on display. For how much Samsung is advertising the Note, they might want to send out a memo to AT&T that they should at least put the Note out for customers to see.

Anyways, back to my point... I asked an employee if they had them in stock. She went into the back room and brought one out. I asked if I could put it in my pocket and walk around the store for a minute, which she let me do. Needless to say, and I don't have skinny jeans, the phone was way too obviously in my pocket. It was uncomfortable to sit down with. Honestly, they should add some pink or purple to the case and market it as a woman's phone, because I can't see anyone that doesn't carry a purse around using that thing. I personally don't care too much about the screen size requiring two hands because I usually use my phone with both hands regardless. But the thing was just too massive to carry around in my pockets.

Urmom.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How is it I feel stupid for samsung after this commercial? Really? You think anybody is going to fall for the note when you're only showing stupid **** I can do that nobody cares about. Poke fun at apple all you want, there is a reason apple is the most successful business in the world now with close to 100 billion in CASH assets accrued In only a decade. They makes things people want, and can't screw up! That's the difference between Windows and OSX, yes windows has more capability, but we all know which system runs better, because it doesn't try to do too much, it just works!

Urmom.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011

Perhaps you should check your facts. Apple is worth over 400 billion, the highest net worth in the worth and 100 billion in cash assets.

nickelt

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

dweisen1 said:
Sssshhh... Here on Mac Rumors, Apple can buy anything, even things that aren't for sale, and to hell with monopoly laws. ;)

Apple should buy Greece and name the whole country Apple:apple:

They cant buy Samsung but geezus my next door neighbour prob could Greece. But who would want to right now????

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008

Nothing against the Samsung device, if people like it and the form factor I say good for them and good for Samsung.

But this ad is clearly a troll. There is more wrong with it than right with it.
1. The challenges are obscure, rarely required tasks. The OS should NOT be proficient at sending greeting cards. There is an app for that. Same with navigation.
2. The Samsung Note guy is clearly a shill, they even admitted giving the device to him before hand to practice on.
3. Whether the girl is also planted is irrelevant. I'm happy to concede that it is possible to find someone on the street with that level of knowledge and savvy with his/her iphone.
4. So it boils down to: One person doesn't know how to use their iPhone and that's supposed to convince us the iPhone is inferior? The logic is mind boggling.

Pesky0.o

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012

The last time I used a stylus was like 10 years ago Samsung just stick to making tv an leave the phones to apple = )

ianogden

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
London
I went to the AT&T store a couple days ago to check out the Note. For some reason they didn't even have any on display. For how much Samsung is advertising the Note, they might want to send out a memo to AT&T that they should at least put the Note out for customers to see.

They won't have any on display because they don't want people to see how big it is compared to all the other phones on the shelves. They'll want you to look online or at a picture so the size isn't conceivable without a ruler. It's so funny how marketing works, and it's an insanely evil profession (unfortunately I shoot the video side, but don't conceive the evil concepts, so I'm innocent).

----------

The last time I used a stylus was like 10 years ago Samsung just stick to making tv an leave the phones to apple = )

The last time I used a stylus was about 10 years ago, unfortunately it was the first time and it remains lost ever since. Not the future, but the past. I love how companies re hash old technology and call it new. Makes me feel very proud of the human race and its advances.

----------

The last time I used a stylus was about 10 years ago, unfortunately it was the first time and it remains lost ever since. Not the future, but the past. I love how companies re hash old technology and call it new. Makes me feel very proud of the human race and its advances.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Challenges:
- Crop one image and drag and drop it on another.
Samsung: Can do it out of the box?
iPhone: Go to the app store.
+1 for the Samsung.

(Although to be fair, the iPhone, as of iOS 5, does in fact have native RTF. Open mail, highlight the text to apply bold or underline or italics to, hit the right arrow, and select the effect - it's not much but it's better than nothing.)

- Map directions.
Samsung: Draw the route by hand. Lines aren't neat and the route could be wrong.
iPhone: Insert start and end addresses. Lines are perfect and the route is as good as one from Google maps.
+1 for the iPhone.

- Swap slides.
Samsung: Can do it out of the box?
iPhone: Download Keynote or some other slideshow editor from the app store.
+1 for the Samsung.

The final score from Samsung's rigged challenge: 2 for the Samsung, 1 for the iPhone. Although all of the victories are pretty weak given they only win because such functionality is out of the box, whereas it's a tie if app downloads are allowed.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
You know what the amazing thing is? My mum has an iPhone 4. She wouldn't know how to do things like composing layered photos on her Windows PC, but she definitely would (hell, she already does :facepalm: ) on her iPhone.

That dude clearly works for Samsung. "I'm just going to screenshot that"... seriously? I don't know one non-geek who regularly uses the screenshot function in any sort of workflow.

----------

2nd Task, Find the directions on google and then send them the link, or phone them and direct them from there. Or use the find a friend app and text message them as they reach a turning.

Well, your friend needs a smartphone to receive it on the go. You can iMessage (or email if they don't have an iPhone) a place from Google Maps, and then they can get the directions using their current location (makes sense, right? I don't usually want to send a particular route, I want to send a destination)

Last edited:

SamVictor

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stupid ***** Samsung

rmatosinhos

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
"áí dónt thínk í cán dó thát!"

I think that "lady" was well payed to "dó thát!"

óh gód... "áí dónt thínk í cán dó thát!"

This lady can't even think... in her mind is just, inhale, exhale.... or she'll die!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Many people are missing the bigger picture here: Samsung is NOT copying Apple ads! They’re going their own route!

Let’s hope that habit penetrates deeper into their design teams, and we’ll see Samsung bringing some welcome variety to the marketplace! (Not just monster-sizing the iPhone 4 styling, right down to the white surfaces, while copying so many other details of Apple products, their accessories, and even their packaging.) Take a cue from plenty of other companies, Samsung: Apple’s designs are not the only way to make a product!

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I want to comment and not seem like a fanboy, just ignoring everything in the ad, however, save for the first task, which I wouldn’t know how to replicate (save for searching for an appropriate app), the other two tasks are easy on the iPhone, and I think using Maps to highlight the route rather than drawing in with a thine blue line would work so much better! All he did was screenshot it in the end too, while surely sending an address that will show you how to get to the location from wherever you are has to have it’s benefits?

I realise it has to portray Samsung in a good light, and it’s just marketing so doesn’t have to be truthful, but they could have done much better… chosen things (I don’t know which things) the iPhone can’t do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.