Samsung Test Drive

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by The Tos, Oct 20, 2015.

1. The Tos macrumors 6502a

If anyone is still interested, they have a supply of test phones again. I figured I might as well try one of their phones for a month as its only $1.00

2. tivoboy macrumors 68030

3. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Can't get past the carrier select screen. No matter which carrier I choose it just underlines the logo and nothing happens?

4. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

All I was told was they will email me when they have a device available.

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Did they just get a fresh supply of test phones back recently? I was going to participate prior to the 6s being released, now I have no interest in doing so (not that I was going to switch anyway).

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm not going to switch, but I definitely am interested in seeing what my life would be like with one.

Is it possible to get texts/iMessages fowarded, though? 80% of my communication is via text. Or, I could always turn iMessage off and then switch SIM cards too.

7. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Supposedly yes. Got a email today, but I cannot get it to work.

8. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I got an email and immediately reserved an edge + on att. The dollar charge showed up right after I placed the order. I'm definitely not going to switch but I think it will be interesting to try.

9. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

What is it supposed to do once you click on the carrier?

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I wish they offered this here in the UK.

11. fjd726 macrumors regular

I'm curious to try TMobile on this test drive. I currently have Verizon. How does this program work? Will they send an activated sim card already with a number attached or do we have to use our own card?

12. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

They will send you a phone with an active sim from the carrier you chose with a new number.

13. fjd726 macrumors regular

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I signed up for this... Just to try. I have absolutely no intentions of leaving my 6s Plus. I just wanna give it a whirl...

How long after you sign up does it take for the email to come?

15. SmplyRckless macrumors member

SmplyRckless

J just did also, I wanna try out the note 5. No intentions of switching though.

16. mjschabow macrumors 65816

In my experience, Samsung phones blow you away for the first month, but then you start to notice the hiccups. I had the Edge Plus for just over a month and went through that. Also, Android just hasn't solved for the battery drain yet though supposedly Marshmallow will. While Google Now is great, having all the location settings enabled takes such a hit on the battery.

Overall, I just enjoy iOS more. It's more intuitive and bug free.

I will give Samsung credit. That screen is amazing. But that only takes it so far.

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

The battery drain issue is mainly on third party apps.

Everyone complained about nexus 5 battery life. Yet if I just ran stock apps. My battery life was good.

Once I start installing apps like Facebook. Battery sucked. Even disabling notifications etc.

Same crap happened on my lg 3 with Facebook. Battery drain. Battery is great if I uninstalled Facebook and use web sign on.

Hopefully marshmallow reigns in on rogue third party apps. It's supposed to be one of the new features of android 6.0.

We know Apple locks down rogue apps trying to use battery.

18. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i never got an email. i dont want to leave the 6 plus but still no harm in trying.

19. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i signed up for the sprint one. and as far as i could figure out, they give you 2-4 TERABYTES of shared LTE DATA! i ended up using like $400 of sprint data. i didn't get charged for it. i also returned the phone and the back glass screen was cracked and they didn't even charge me for that

i used it all for tethering

the $400 figure i came up with was like $60 for an unlimited plan plus $60 for every 5 gigs

20. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

That's great. How long did it take to ship after you signed up?

21. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

it took several weeks.

22. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

23. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I signed up for the test drive two months ago when it first launched. The phone reminded me how much I loved iPhone and iOS, in the end it was more about trying out verizon network(I'm on att and wanted to try out verizon) than trying out the phone. Samsung called me at least three times during the trial and sent a bunch of emails during and after the trial. It was only $1, what can I complain?

24. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I understand the appeal here, but I'm glad to have switched from Samsung to iPhone.

25. Eileen89 macrumors 65816