Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung semiconductor head Kim Ki-nam today announced that the company will begin work on 14-nanometer processors for partners such as Apple, Qualcomm, and AMD before the end of 2014, reports ZDNet (via 9to5Mac).

A8.jpg
The comments indicate that Samsung will produce Apple's next-generation A9 chip to be used in next year's line of iPhones and iPads. Currently, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus use the 20-nanometer A8 processor. It is also likely that the forthcoming iPad Air 2 and second-generation Retina iPad mini will utilize Apple's A8 chip.

The report also states that Samsung is producing around 30% of the total volume of Apple's A8 chip, while TSMC is handling 70% of the production load. Teardowns of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus revealed A8 chips that were manufactured by TSMC, although it is possible that a select number of shipped devices contain chips produced by Samsung.

Last year, it was reported that Apple signed a contract with Samsung to handle 30% to 40% of total A9 chip production, while TSMC would be getting the rest of the production load. A report from August stated that TSMC was ahead of schedule with its new 16-nanometer process, which was said to be for Apple's A9 chip. However, these latest comments from Ki-nam may indicate that Korean company has already won the bid to produce the A9 with its upcoming 14-nanometer process over TSMC's proposal.

Article Link: Samsung to Begin Work on Apple's 14-nm A9 Chips Before End of 2014

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
I really hope they don't go any thinner. This nonsense of making something super thin is driving me crazy. How about working on those fat bezels?

This x 1000000. Make a small phone with a big screen... thicker than a sheet of paper please.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
I, for one, welcome our new north korean cpu overlords. Looking forward to credit card thin phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I really hope they don't go any thinner. This nonsense of making something super thin is driving me crazy. How about working on those fat bezels?

Tell me about it. The beauty of the ip6 being thin is totally marred by those god awful 2010 bezels. I'm a huge proponent of thin, but I think we've reached a point where we don't need thinner, we need smaller form factor versus screen size.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

It will happen eventually when they figure a better way of implementing touch ID.
Regarding thin devices, it's inevitable and I think they will get thinner. Usually electronic devices are thick due to technology limitations.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I wonder how many of you all complaining about thinness, as if it's a negative, have ever had to carry around a flip phone or a treo. Those things were simply uncomfortable to carry around. The iPhone 1 changed all that for the better, and the trend is merely continuing.

Perhaps put a case on it, if it's so troubling.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Progression is going insanely fast. I wonder what we'll be seeing in a decade from now.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Keep it the same thickness or even go as thick at the 5/5s and give me 2 days of battery!

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
How long before we see ludicrous "New iPhone in Spring" click bait?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Keep it the same thickness or even go as thick at the 5/5s and give me 2 days of battery!

Well hopefully when the iPhone 7 drops they figure out the protruding camera, they def not going back 5/5s thick.

The biggest challenge is getting rid of the home button and implement touch id on the screen itself, i saw comments about the finger print Samsung use on their phones and it seem that part of the reader is in the lower part of the screen so whe might see something like this first on Samsung products.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Wonder when we will see phones that have CPU's as powerful as MacBooks.

If only there were some app I could actually put all that power to use!

anova

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
whats wrong with 5/5s thickness? jesus, do all you people have carny hands? i'm 6'5 with big mits and these little phones are driving me nuts

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Looks up from his Tegra K1 tablet.

Is Apple going to enable the software to allow us to actually take advantage of this thing? No? OK :apple:

What does that mean? What enabling does Apple need to do?

Anyway, Apple is clearly developing technologies specifically for taking advantage of "this thing" - like Metal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.