Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today announced that an update to its now-infamous line of Galaxy Note7 smartphones will render the remaining devices within the United States useless, as a means to further ensure the safety of its customers who still own the malfunctioning smartphone.

Even though "more than 93 percent of all recalled Galaxy Note7 devices" have been returned, Samsung's December 19 update will ensure no more danger befalls one of its customers. The update will prevent the ability to charge the smartphone -- which led to fires this fall -- and in total "eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices."

galaxy-note7-hands-on.jpg
Consumer safety remains our highest priority and we've had overwhelming participation in the U.S. Note7 Refund and Exchange Program so far, with more than 93 percent of all recalled Galaxy Note7 devices returned. To further increase participation, a software update will be released starting on December 19th that will prevent U.S. Galaxy Note7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices.
In today's press release the company also announced that it's expanded the recall of Galaxy Note7 smartphones, both original and troublesome replacement devices, thanks to cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and carriers and retailers across the country. Consumers can still either replace their Note7 with another Samsung phone, or receive a refund.

Samsung officially recalled the Galaxy Note7 devices in early September after multiple accounts of users experiencing exploding batteries and fires originating from the smartphone. A month later it halted sales of the device worldwide, a move that was reported in October to cost the company around $2.3 billion.

Article Link: Samsung to Brick Unreturned Galaxy Note7 Devices With Software Update

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia

Samsung today announced that an update to its now-infamous line of Galaxy Note7 smartphones will render the remaining devices within the United States useless, as a means to further ensure the safety of its customers who still own the malfunctioning smartphone.

Even though "more than 93 percent of all recalled Galaxy Note7 devices" have been returned, Samsung's December 19 update will ensure no more danger befalls one of its customers. The update will prevent the ability to charge the smartphone -- which led to fires this fall -- and in total "eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices."

galaxy-note7-hands-on.jpg
In today's press release the company also announced that it's expanded the recall of Galaxy Note7 smartphones, both original and troublesome replacement devices, thanks to cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and carriers and retailers across the country. Consumers can still either replace their Note7 with another Samsung phone, or receive a refund.

Samsung officially recalled the Galaxy Note7 devices in early September after multiple accounts of users experiencing exploding batteries and fires originating from the smartphone. A month later it halted sales of the device worldwide, a move that was reported in October to cost the company around $2.3 billion.

Article Link: Samsung to Brick Unreturned Galaxy Note7 Devices With Software Update

HOLY crap, they're killing them now. Wow. For good reason, before someone else gets hurt.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
"safely package for storage?" I assume that involves an asbestos-lined coffin.

They make battery pouches for charging LiPo batteries. These can explode or catch fire as well, if charged incorrectly.

I use these for charging and storage. I suspect one of those would suffice.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I understand for safety related issues why Samsung is doing this, but this would upset those who kept the device that experienced no problems (Even with the refund/exchange). But I commend Samsung for taking the appropriate measures to cease any remaining devices.

Reactions: tennisproha

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I met a guy in Florida a few weeks ago. He had the Galaxy Note 7 and after all the battery woes about it came out he purchased an iPhone 7Plus.

He showed me both and said there was absolutely no way he was returning the note because he loved it so much - much more than the iPhone.

I bet he's going to be an unhappy bunny now!

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
Surely whoever has the phone should set it in Airplane mode and properly and safely package for storage, considering if 93% were already sent back, they're sure to be collectors items.

These are the situations where true collectibles are born. Especially since it has some $$ value right now, even as a trade-in or return. Not a lot of people can afford to pack something like this away, it's not like it's an iPhone 4 at the moment.

Reactions: CBJammin103

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I hope Samsung's mobile division can recover from this. Had this same thing happened to Apple, I think it would've destroyed them since so much of their business and profits are centered around the iPhone.

For all the blatant copying Samsung does of Apple, they also simultaneously force Apple to keep innovating with the iPhone. If there was no Samsung, I have a feeling Apple would be releasing new iPhones every two years at this point instead of every year.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Will they continue to issue refunds for bricked devices? I could see hypotheticals (as rare as the events would be) in which someone legitimately hasn't been able to send in their device yet, will they be jipped out of their money now?

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I understand for safety related issues why Samsung is doing this, but this would upset those who kept the device that experienced no problems (Even with the refund/exchange). But I commend Samsung for taking the appropriate measures to cease any remaining devices.

It's not a love for their customers, it's all about liability. Just protecting themselves from legal exposure. But even if it would out of a concern for me, boy would I be angry if I had one of these and it was working fine....

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's not a love for their customers, it's all about liability. Just protecting themselves from legal exposure. But even if it would out of a concern for me, boy would I be angry if I had one of these and it was working fine....

Agreed. That's why I stated for safety measures this has to happen. I'm actually surprised the software update wasn't somewhat sooner.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I hope Samsung's mobile division can recover from this. Had this same thing happened to Apple, I think it would've destroyed them since so much of their business and profits are centered around the iPhone.

For all the blatant copying Samsung does of Apple, they also simultaneously force Apple to keep innovating with the iPhone. If there was no Samsung, I have a feeling Apple would be releasing new iPhones every two years at this point instead of every year.

Sure, but it would be more like if the iPhone SE were having this problem, and not the 7. I would think The S7 and S7 Edge sell the best, and then the Note 7 was third in the lineup. (I could be wrong, just a guess) It's not as if every Samsung phone made this year was effected.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Maybe they should not have announced that before actually delivering the update... Or are updates compulsory on Samsung devices?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
They make battery pouches for charging LiPo batteries. These can explode or catch fire as well, if charged incorrectly.

I use these for charging and storage. I suspect one of those would suffice.

Bet your house on it?
[doublepost=1481303828][/doublepost]
Will they continue to issue refunds for bricked devices? I could see hypotheticals (as rare as the events would be) in which someone legitimately hasn't been able to send in their device yet, will they be jipped out of their money now?

No. Nor would they be christianed out of their money.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
And people think it's bad when a new iOS update bricks a few devices…wow. I think at this point it's pretty safe to say that this might be the biggest tech fail of the past several decades. And that includes a lot of crap like the Microsoft Kin, Apple Pippin, Windows ME and Vista, that stupid CueCat USB magazine barcode reader, Palm Foleo, and Google Glass.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.