Samsung to Seek Ban on iPhone 4S Sales in France and Italy

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making good on its previous plans to target Apple's new iPhone in an attempt to ban sales of the device over intellectual property infringement, Samsung has announced that it will indeed file requests for preliminary injunctions today in France and Italy.
    Samsung notes that it plans to file additional requests in other countries as it reviews the situation. Samsung's efforts are part of an escalating patent dispute between the two companies that has seen Apple win delays in the launch of Samsung's Galaxy Tab device in Australia and Germany.

Today's announcement from Samsung does not cite the specific patents it will accuse the iPhone 4S of infringing upon, but it is likely that they will be patents already being used by Samsung in a Dutch lawsuit against Apple seeking the ban of the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and original iPad.

Apple has argued that those patents are essential enough to the basic operation of 3G wireless technologies that they should be subject to FRAND (fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory) terms requiring Samsung to license them under reasonable terms. Apple's position is that Samsung has not been offering reasonable terms for the patents, and the two parties have been unable to reach an agreement on their licensing.

Article Link: Samsung to Seek Ban on iPhone 4S Sales in France and Italy

2. Monkey194545 macrumors member

I guess now that the 4s was revealed we can go back to countless stories about lawsuits and store openings...

3. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Surely this will make people hate Samsung even more?

4. Reach macrumors 6502a

I bet Apple wish they could cut Samsung as a supplier... :p Hopefully they'll be able to do that eventually.

5. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Does Apple have a form where they fill the company? Because they said exactly the same when Nokia sued them

6. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Samsung are only fighting back the best they can

I'll be very surprised though if this sticks

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Don't forget about iPad 3 and Mac Pro rumors.. :p

8. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Why? Every company has to defended their IP, don't they?

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This won't stick, if Apple can't patent multi-touch, Samsung can't patent 3G.

10. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    If Samsung held policies like Apple, they would be North Korea

Not south ;)

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple has patented specific multi-touch technologies. They couldn't get a trademark. Samsung has patents on certain 3G technologies. All that's under dispute is what kind of royalty payments it is entitled to.

12. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I wonder how much Apple pays for all the legal fees with this Samsung thing compared to how much it would cost to just buy Samsung & all its patents.

13. atomwork macrumors regular

atomwork

Poor Samsung! Because you cannot innovate doesn't mean you must hate the innovator.. Stop following and create something groundbreaking. Than you allowed to sue.

14. kolax macrumors G3

This is going too far..

Wish they could sort this out of court. This is only harming consumers now, whether Apple or Samsung were to win.

15. rols macrumors 6502

Good thing the iPhone 4S isn't very different from the iPhone 4 then isn't it. If they failed to get the first one banned, what argument can they use for getting the second one.

16. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

17. foxhunter101 macrumors newbie

There's a great idea, just buy Samsung!!!

18. ayala421 macrumors regular

ayala421

Don' forget, iPhone 5 rumors...

19. dougal55 macrumors newbie

Samsung are not gonna stop... are they?

Oh for feck's sake, Samsung, give it all up already!!!.. Hey don't you know that the patents you are espousing as being yours are now being generally being used everywhere, huh? I am on Apple's side in respect of FRAND so hopefully the courts will rule in their favour, not Samsung's.

Samsung is gonna lose a lot more than they think in their actions.. it would make people question the company's aims and make the brand a lot more unpopular at least in the eyes of Apple but also in the eyes of ordinary consumers too wherever they are.

Samsung, be careful mate, you are going a long way down if this blows up in your faces...

dougal55

20. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Genuine inventions once can understand, but many of these suits are concerning things that should never have been granted patents, and are by no stretch of the imagination "Intellectual".

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

They can't afford Samsung.

Anyway, it seems Samsung is privately owned.

22. MacSporran macrumors newbie

Originally Posted by guzhogi
    I wonder how much Apple pays for all the legal fees with this Samsung thing compared to how much it would cost to just buy Samsung & all its patents.

Not sure Apple can afford to buy them. Samsung have a market valuation of $114 billion!

23. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

It's amusing how they are doing downright nasty things like this to each other and at the same time Samsung is suppling Apple.

24. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

If Samsung were to be sold to Apple, how much money would have to be exchanged?

Edit:

Also, how much is Apple paying in legal fees for all this Samsung stuff?