Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Samsung is about to overtake Apple as the leading smartphone vendor...

asymco-smartphone-shipments-q107-q211.png

until iPhone 5 comes out in late October. Seriously, I'd buy Apple stock. I think Apple is going to make tons of $$$ on this refresh.

Sent from my Droid X.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Poor nokia.

-EDIT-
...and this is the real reason why Apple is suing Samsung. They don't want to have to compete

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Uhh. You're missing Q2 2011 Sales report. Apple is clearly still in the lead.

actually, not quite. Samsung was not allowed to report how many smartphones were sold in Q2, due to the ongoing lawsuit with Apple.

So we don't actually know how many Samsung phones were sold in Q2. Lets remember that Samsung has multiple smartphone models, and the Galaxy S II is a runaway hit both in Asia and Europe.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
actually, not quite. Samsung was not allowed to report how many smartphones were sold in Q2, due to the ongoing lawsuit with Apple.

So we don't actually know how many Samsung phones were sold in Q2. Lets remember that Samsung has multiple smartphone models, and the Galaxy S II is a runaway hit both in Asia and Europe.

True, I forgot about that.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Strategy Analytics is the firm that had earlier predicted Samsung latest smartphone sales to be 18-21 million, the upper number of which would've bypassed Apple's 20.3 million.

They are also the source of the final Q2 chart which everyone is quoting from, that says 19.2 million for Samsung.

Their number is considered reliable, as Samsung uses Strategy Analytics charts in their earnings reports.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
While it is important to look at how many units you sell, it also matters how much profit you make from each devices. Apple takes 2/3 of Mobile market profits.

Apple looks like it has won the HTC lawsuit. HTC has to make a deal with Apple or they will face a ban from US market.

Samsung isn't likely going to be able to win the lawsuit either. Samsung is clearly a biggest copy cat with apple iOS devices.

Samsung also released their Galaxy S2 and waves of other smart phones so far this year. What did apple release this year? Verizon iPhone 4 and white iphone 4...

Yet, they are still in the lead.

Also, if you pay attention to how Samsung Electronic is performing... (includes mobile, Tv, laptop, etc)
I am still disappointed with their numbers.

As an EX samsung investor and Current apple investor, I am long Apple and I am moving away from Samsung.

Apple will release iPhone 5 this fall and iPad 3 next year. Then they will release LTE iphone...

Samsung is clearly no match for apple.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Poor nokia.
Not exactly.

One of the pioneers which holds 10,000 patents and has been around before many of these competitors will still be getting paid from Apple. They are already receiving billions from Microsoft. Next up is suing Google.

Court battle ends, Apple to pay Nokia royalties
http://www.gsmarena.com/court_battle_ends_apple_to_pay_nokia_royalties-news-2774.php

Nokia and Motorola are like the parents who cradled this industry. Now they became grandparents that needs to be put in their pasture. Google all of Nokia's innovations. We wouldn't be where we are today without them. But their innovation have become the norm and get taken for granted because they didn't shove their innovations into people's throats during a keynote. People assume Apple invented the cell phone or smartphone. They reinvented.

Nokia Innovations
http://www.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/About_Nokia/Sidebars_new_concept/Nokia_firsts/Firsts_2010.pdf

Nokia was the first with GSM, most recognizable ringtone, mobile game (Snake), built-in antenna, GSM triband, GSM push-to-talk, and the N91 was a revolutionary music phone (amazing audio quality) for its time back in 2005.

And now Nokia is the FIRST to beat Apple in a lawsuit involving cell phones.

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't understand why people would buy samsung phones (when there are better phone manufactures out there like HTC). All samsung phones feel like cheap plastic!

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Is this a joke? :confused:

OP seems to think that the company you buy a smartphone from is like a favorite sports team that you root for ("Go Samsung Go! Yay!" :rolleyes:)

Dont give a **** which company sells more as long as I get the perfect phone for me...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don't understand why people would buy samsung phones (when there are better phone manufactures out there like HTC). All samsung phones feel like cheap plastic!

Apparently there aren't better phone manufacturers out there, as the SGS2 is currently rated the top smartphone to have (excluding the iPhone). HTC phones are known to have poor battery life and are more expensive.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

I like having a light phone. My Samsung Vibrant is *extremely* light and 'plasticky' feeling. That means it doesn't break, bend, or get dented when I drop it because it doesn't carry enough momentum to cause any damage

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

Some people do not want their phone to weight as much as a iPhone. Even though the Samsung Galaxy S2 is light, it blows the iPhone 4 out of the water in every way. It will likely still perform better than the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3 is just around the corner.

Even a hard core fan boy must come up for air, try it!:p

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL

lolno, I'm no Apple fanboy. I'm just saying that I don't understand why people will dish out $200 for a phone that feels cheap. If I'm going to buy a $200 phone, it better feel like a $200 phone.
boss.king said:
HTC phones are known to have poor battery life and are more expensive.
HTC may be expensive, but their built quality is on par with Apple.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Some people do not want their phone to weight as much as a iPhone. Even though the Samsung Galaxy S2 is light, it blows the iPhone 4 out of the water in every way. It will likely still perform better than the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3 is just around the corner.

Will it EVER come to the states though?! :confused::mad::confused:

Will it be BUTCHERED by the U.S. carriers like the original Galaxy S was?

By the time it finally gets here in the U.S. will it be 6 months old tech AND a dumbed down version? Ugh :(

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The one with inferior specs or was available cheaper usually won the sales war.

VHS inferior to Betamax. Still won in sales.

NES inferior specs to the Sega Master System. Still won in sales.

PlayStation inferior specs to Nintendo 64. Still won in sales.

PlayStation 2 inferior specs to Xbox and GameCube. Still won in sales.

Wii inferior specs to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Still won in sales.

GameBoy inferior specs to Game Gear, Atari Lynx, TurboExpress, etc. Still won in sales.

Nintendo DS inferior specs to the PSP. Still won in sales.

Microsoft Windows is a ripoff to Apple's GUI. Still won in sales.

Only time I remembered seeing superior tech win was SNES over Genesis/Mega Drive and Blu-ray over HD-DVD.

Cost matters to these people. And not every country lives off post-paid plans like the U.S. where you can sign two-year contracts. Most countries that are heavily populated (esp in Asia) still live on prepaid.

This is why Nokia phones still sell in volumes from the dumb phone segment especially in developing countries. I think Nokia should stick to making cheap, sub-$100 prepaid phones.

Nokia X2-01 (T-Mobile prepaid phone for about $60+)
41rsezhIb5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nokia C3-00 (Need Wi-Fi?)
410ryaSlRYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nokia seem to offer more bang for your buck than RIM. They need to cater that audience instead of competing in the premium smartphone segment vs Apple.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010

You mean that the specs are superior in every way, yes? Clearly matters of form and function are highly debatable points to try to make. And Android is still far from compelling (opinion, of course). Also the little annoyance of Samsung devices being quickly forgotten, getting maybe one meaningful OS update in their entirely lifetime.

(Hard to take you seriously with that ridiculous icon btw. :p)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Great thanks TS now I'm going to loose sleep tonight. This after just hearing Apple had taking the #1 spot in cell phone sales! and that they were now the 2nd largest company. and that Apple has more money then the US Government. My day is ruined I tell you ruined! :rolleyes:

bad_day.jpg

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Is this a joke? :confused:

OP seems to think that the company you buy a smartphone from is like a favorite sports team that you root for ("Go Samsung Go! Yay!" :rolleyes:)

Dont give a **** which company sells more as long as I get the perfect phone for me...

good point, but if we were not passionate about anything, life would seem rather dull.

Plus humans have this mentality that they want to have the best or that everyone is following them, aka twitter.

wow @Savor knows his videogame history :D

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
While it is important to look at how many units you sell, it also matters how much profit you make from each devices. Apple takes 2/3 of Mobile market profits.

Apple looks like it has won the HTC lawsuit. HTC has to make a deal with Apple or they will face a ban from US market.

Samsung isn't likely going to be able to win the lawsuit either. Samsung is clearly a biggest copy cat with apple iOS devices.

Samsung also released their Galaxy S2 and waves of other smart phones so far this year. What did apple release this year? Verizon iPhone 4 and white iphone 4...

Yet, they are still in the lead.

Also, if you pay attention to how Samsung Electronic is performing... (includes mobile, Tv, laptop, etc)
I am still disappointed with their numbers.

As an EX samsung investor and Current apple investor, I am long Apple and I am moving away from Samsung.

Apple will release iPhone 5 this fall and iPad 3 next year. Then they will release LTE iphone...

Samsung is clearly no match for apple.
"We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Steve Jobs, 1996: "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal"
http://gizmodo.com/5483914/steve-jobs-1996-good-artists-copy-great-artists-steal

"The only problem with Microsoft is they have no taste."

Steve Jobs on Microsoft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw

THE FOLLOWING YEAR...

MacWorld 1997 - The Microsoft Deal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

Bill Gates: Steve, all cars have steering wheels, but no one tries to claim that the steering wheel was their invention.

Steve Jobs: What is this? This is like doing business with a praying mantis. You get seduced, and then eaten alive afterwards?

Bill Gates: Get real, would ya? You and I are both like guys who had this rich neighbor - Xerox - who left the door open all the time. And you go sneakin' in to steal a TV set. Only when you get there, you realize that I got there first. I got the loot, Steve! And you're yellin'? "That's not fair. I wanted to try to steal it first." You're too late.

Steve Jobs: We're better than you are. We have better stuff.

Bill Gates: You don't get it, Steve. That doesn't matter.

PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj6j9tEzo18&feature=related

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
You mean that the specs are superior in every way, yes? Clearly matters of form and function are highly debatable points to try to make. And Android is still far from compelling (opinion, of course). Also the little annoyance of Samsung devices being quickly forgotten, getting maybe one meaningful OS update in their entirely lifetime.

(Hard to take you seriously with that ridiculous icon btw. :p)

A benefit of the Android community is that unofficially devices can be supported forever. The HTC G1 (Dream) which is the first Android phone made, can still be updated to Gingerbread. Android devices are not forgotten quickly, except for here on an Apple forum, on sites such as XDA a good phone will be supported for years before the community gives up on it.

On the other side of this argument, one could say that an iPhone only receives 1 meaningful update in its lifetime as well.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I suppose when you sell 200 variations of smartphones, you are bound to find enough suckers to buy their junk.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
The one with inferior specs or was available cheaper usually won the sales war.

VHS inferior to Betamax. Still won in sales.

NES inferior specs to the Sega Master System. Still won in sales.

PlayStation inferior specs to Nintendo 64. Still won in sales.

PlayStation 2 inferior specs to Xbox and GameCube. Still won in sales.

Wii inferior specs to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Still won in sales.

GameBoy inferior specs to Game Gear, Atari Lynx, TurboExpress, etc. Still won in sales.

Nintendo DS inferior specs to the PSP. Still won in sales.

Microsoft Windows is a ripoff to Apple's GUI. Still won in sales.

Only time I remembered seeing superior tech win was SNES over Genesis/Mega Drive and Blu-ray over HD-DVD.

Cost matters to these people. And not every country lives off post-paid plans like the U.S. where you can sign two-year contracts. Most countries that are heavily populated (esp in Asia) still live on prepaid.

This is why Nokia phones still sell in volumes from the dumb phone segment especially in developing countries. I think Nokia should stick to making cheap, sub-$100 prepaid phones.

Nokia X2-01 (T-Mobile prepaid phone for about $60+)

Nokia C3-00 (Need Wi-Fi?)

Nokia seem to offer more bang for your buck than RIM. They need to cater that audience instead of competing in the premium smartphone segment vs Apple.

The PLAYSTATION 2 was NOT inferior to the gamecube.

Xbox, probably but PS2 was ahead of gamecube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.