Samsung Unveils Galaxy S8 and S8+ With Iris and Facial Recognition, No Home Button

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung officially announced its much-anticipated Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphones today at simultaneous launch events held in New York's Lincoln Center and London's Olympic Park.

The company's post-Note7 comeback device and de facto "iPhone 8" rival has already been the subject of several leaks in recent weeks, but today we finally got the full picture of what Samsung's new flagship models are offering consumers who are in the market for a new smartphone this year.

As expected, the S8 comes in two sizes with a curved edge-to-edge 5.8-inch or 6.2-inch QHD AMOLED display. The always-on 18.5:9 ratio screen has a HDR-enabled 2960x1440 resolution within a minimal bezel design that replaces the physical home button with a virtual force touch button embedded in the screen, and moves the fingerprint sensor to the rear of the device, alongside the camera.

The rear camera features a 12 megapixel f/1.7 lens, while an 8 megapixel f/1.7 camera with autofocus sits above the screen on the front. Samsung has also integrated iris scanning and facial recognition into the front camera to make unlocking the phone and signing into websites easier.

[​IMG]

On the right side of the handset is the power button, while the left side houses volume controls and a separate button to activate Bixby, Samsung's new context-aware virtual assistant, developed by the original creators of Siri. Harman Kardon stereo speakers are visible on the bottom of the device, along with a USB-C port and a headphone jack.

Inside, the S8 features a Snapdragon 835 processor, a 10 nanometer chip made in partnership by Qualcomm and Samsung. Paired with the chip is 4GB of RAM and 64GB or 128GB of storage with microSD support for up to 256GB. The standard model has a 3,000mAh battery, while the Plus device gets 3,500mAh. Both models support fast wireless charging.

On the software side, the S8 runs Android 7.0 and has a Bluetooth dual audio feature that lets users stream audio to two separate headsets or speakers at the same time. There's also a multi-window feature that enables two apps to run on the screen simultaneously. Another feature Samsung is debuting with the S8 is Samsung DeX, which allows users to connect the phone to an external display, keyboard, and mouse, to use the operating system like a computer.

The 5.8-inch Galaxy S8 price starts at $750, while the 6.2-inch 8+ device starts at $850. Prices may vary. Both handsets are waterproof to IP68 standard and come in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, and Arctic Silver colorways. Pre-orders begin on March 30 and include a Gear VR headset with touch controller. Both handsets will go on sale online and in stores in the U.S., Canada, and across Europe on April 21.

The pieces are finally starting to come together for what should be a remarkable battle of the smartphones this year. Apple's widely rumored high-end redesigned iPhone with a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED display will likely launch in September, although the majority of stock may not be available until later in the fourth quarter, according to recent rumors.

Apple is widely expected to use Samsung-made AMOLED display technology in at least one of three possible iPhones to be released this year, so the S8 arguably offers the best preview yet of the screen quality of possible future Apple devices. Rumors suggest Touch ID could be embedded in the equivalent Apple display, while iris scanning, facial recognition, and some form of wireless charging have also been floated as possible features of a "10th anniversary" edition iPhone.

Article Link: Samsung Unveils Galaxy S8 and S8+ With Iris and Facial Recognition, No Home Button

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

The G6 really took away the thunder from their messaging about the screen. Shame.

3. Sunny1990, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Really beautiful looking device, hope apple brings something like this September

4. Toutou macrumors 6502

Toutou

Apple better have a good answer to this. Looks fantastic.

5. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

This looks great. I have such high hopes for the iPhone 8. Bring it home Apple...

8. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

Fantastic device and price wise is looking set to be 100-200 cheaper than new iPhone.

9. kodos macrumors regular

Beautiful phone! The issue with Samsung phones is that they reduplicate all of Google's efforts. Now you will have two "assistants" on the phone to go with your two email clients, your two web browsers, your two calendars, etc.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Whist Apple will release three phones this year—two with the same design as the 2014 model and the redesigned one will be super expensive smh.

11. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Looks pretty sexy. It's going to be tough waiting to see what apple comes up with.

12. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

If Apple doesn't redesign the iPhone it's going to be a bloodbath. I'm sick of the home button and the huge bezels. I am thinking about pre-odering this beauty, but it seems like they've added a lot more software junk...

13. Guda.FL macrumors member

Samsung DEX desktop mirror of the smartphone is awesome. They are out for blood...i have to say, being an apple user....this is definitely best of samsung. tempting.

7s or what ever they plan to release based on rumors is now ancient. eek

Edit: they can't pull the 8 edition limited supply now. Or else just looks stupid. Since this is the same screen design they will use for new iPhones. Just my thought.

14. Jack Delgado macrumors regular

Jack Delgado

I can't get used to the software... but that hardware is really, really solid. Interested to see what Apple's alleged $900-$1000+ option will offer.

15. calzon65, Mar 29, 2017

calzon65 macrumors 6502

calzon65

Apple got lucky with the exploding S7, I don't think Apple will be as lucky this time.

16. LewisChapman macrumors 6502

LewisChapman

17. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Yes, that's a big problem to me.

18. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

Genuinely can't see what Apple are going to do that is better than this and I have been an iPhone user for many years. Definitely will be dipping my toes into this one

19. Sparky2012, Mar 29, 2017

Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Love the design of the device. Honestly I think it's the best looking phone out so far. The screen seems to be brilliant with HDR and it just dominates the entire front which I like. Unfortunately the camera's and CPU/GPU don't seem to have been given much improvement from their marketing. Iris scanner is a nice touch. Their services like S Voice, S Pay, etc have always been underwhelming imo and so don't impress me.

20. calzon65 macrumors 6502

calzon65

Thank you Samsung for NOT removing the headphone jack.

21. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Can Apple really release the iPhone 7S with those huge bezels and home button? Wow. There had better be an iPhone 8 with a redesign.

22. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

WOW what an incredible phone. Hats off to Sammy on this phone.

I'll take 100 please.

23. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

your move, apple. please don't flop.

edit, i would still like a home button but love this screen real estate.

24. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

What else could they add? Feature wise it already had it all.

25. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

2017 is calling.