Samsung vs. LG

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macdude2010, May 8, 2011.

1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Are there any differences between the samsung and LG displays.

I need to get my iPad replace due to backlight bleed but I have heard that the brown box (from samsung) have a yellow-green tint, uneven backlight and duller displays

Is this true and if it is will it be fixed or if it is just the nature of LG vs Samsung

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I find that funny, You need to.

Brown box from Samsung? their not color coded boxes, all replacement units come in the same box.

Samsung screen is worse? You have your information wrong.

3. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

This whole shenanigans/charade needs to stop. I really wish an admin would just remove that backlight bleed thread. Just be happy with the device. There is little to no difference between these manufacturers.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Definitely no need for yet another separate LCD thread.

5. JasonHD, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011

JasonHD macrumors regular

So wrong.

Edit: LG Left. Samsung right.

[​IMG]

6. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Is this your picture, or someone elses? Because I can almost promise you that you cannot accurately compare color and contrast based on a picture. There are too many variables involved. Ex: Contrast ratio of screen/color profile.

The monitor to my right displays this picture way worse than my LED on the left. The right monitor is a low quality monitor.

You will never get true color.

7. JasonHD macrumors regular

This is my photo and I can confirm that the left is lg and right is samsung and can assure you in person it looks the same, noticeable yellow on the samsung but no bleed. Nice White on lg but some bleed.

8. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Wow might keep mine if that's true.

9. JasonHD macrumors regular

It is true and I had it replaced for another (also samsung) and it is exactly the same.

10. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Anyone who had a replacement please chime in or post photos.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

How can you confirm which iPad has which LCD Panel?

12. JasonHD macrumors regular

I opened them up and looked on the back of the LCD.

13. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

14. JasonHD macrumors regular

Tell me about it. It's so ugly and dim.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The thing is that you on your Mac or PC or whatever have the ability to alter the colour balance to correct it/calibrate it, or just adjust it to your liking.

As Apple are selling the iPad as a simplified/dumbed down product, they will not put the basic functionality in the device which has been in home computers for decades.

You get stuck with however it was made and you cannot adjust it.

There is no reason on earth that Apple could not put RGB & Gamma adjusters in the iPad's settings area. None whatsoever.

All I can say is, I'm more than happy with the colour and clarity/brightness of my iPad1 and if my iPad2 is in anyway worse than my iPad1's screen, then I'm sending it back immediately.

16. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

My ipad2 screen is much crisper than my iPad screen.
    Think I am going to a full restore for my problem before I switch it out.

17. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Wtf?!

I thought the samsung screens were supposed to be better!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

18. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah I'll stick with my LG display with slight backlight bleed (but not as intense as a lot of those photos in that huge thread).

That Samsung screen takes the piss out of the magicalness of my iPad 2 haha.

19. JasonHD, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

JasonHD macrumors regular

Exactly. I'll be honest with you though... After a few days of using the samsung one, I can't see the yellow tint and images look more smoother. But them I put it next to the lg one and it is obvious that it is more yellow. I suppose it's just preference, but the fact I can compare it and see such a difference winds me up. If I had this to begin with, and it was all I knew, It would be fine haha!

Edit: Samsung one seems more easy on the eye. It has absolutely no backlight bleed. But I think I prefer the whiter one. Comparing images... The samsung one seems to reproduce photos very well with good colours, where as the lg one looks very blueish no matter what the colour. It's only on White White that you notice that the samsung is more creamy than lg. But as I said, after a few days it starts to look good and u get used to it, it's only when u compare it you realise !!

The viewing angles are also different.. Samsung on is slightly better being less dim on angles, lg starts so become darker when viewed on angles.

20. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Sweet Jesus.

1st we had Backlight Bleeding, and now we have yellow tinted panels :(

Is this down to a price as I don't remember Monitors make by either LG or Samsung having either of these issues.
    Ok, perhaps the odd bad one slips through with any manufacturing procedure, but not "The Norm" for them to all be this way?

We can't look back on this period in the iPad2's life and see this as the transition from back light bleeding clean looking panels to no back-light bleeding muddy looking panels can we?

As I said, I don't accept this is because the panels makers can't make a nice screen, so it it just that this is the best they can offer for the price Apple are willing to pay them for them, and better screens would cost Apple perhaps another $20 or something for better components?

Especially as you can sure, if this is actually true, and not just a few bad units slipping through, this will be over the media that these new screens are worse than the originals, apart from the bleeding problem.

This is a bizarre state of affairs to be in, and especially a company that prides itself on Quality to be in. :(

22. JasonHD macrumors regular

They are both just as bright.

23. JasonHD macrumors regular

The samsung ones and not worse. They are just different. I supposed it's just preference. The samsung one actually looks better on photos but lg looks better on White pages.

24. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

What problem are you having with it?

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Ok, well it's easy really to determine if it's different or worse.

Take a sheet of modern crisp bright white office photocopy paper.
    A nice quality, clean white sheet and place it side by side with a white screen on either iPad showing a white screen.

The one with the cleanest white would be better would it not?

I know that generally grey's tend to show colour casts better.
    The only real way would be to have an iPad up alongside a high quality correctly calibrated computer monitor such as a Dell U2711 and see how it stand up for matching colours.