Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I would rather have the samsung screen but I don't want to play the panel lottery to see if I can get one. What if I end up with the same LG screen but with the Toshiba SSD? Then I would be twice as screwed.

IT7

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
God's Land
I would rather have the samsung screen but I don't want to play the panel lottery to see if I can get one. What if I end up with the same LG screen but with the Toshiba SSD? Then I would be twice as screwed.

I had Samsung SSD and LG screen. Ignorance is blessing but after reading this thread I ended up purchasing another macbook air from the local Best Buy. Bingo-Samsung SSD and Screen. One thing is for sure that samsung screen is warm and doesn't appear washed out. I have 15 inches Macbook pro and both samsung and LG screens on macbook air are not as sharp when compared with macbook pro. Again the difference between LG and Samsung is also a matter of personal choice. I was pretty happy with LG screen but now I am happier:)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Samsung better? Aren't you aware that there now exists an objective comparison? http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update

LG has 15% higher contrast, 10% better color accuracy, 20% deeper blacks, and they're virtually identical in all other specs. Anandtech doesn't think it matters in practice, so no reason to stress out.

Oh and OP please no more arrogant psychotherapy lectures. Thanks.

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Samsung better? Aren't you aware that there now exists an objective comparison? http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update

LG has 15% higher contrast, 10% better color accuracy, 20% deeper blacks, and they're virtually identical in all other specs. Anandtech doesn't think it matters in practice, so no reason to stress out.

I trust my eyes than numbers and charts. The panel has to please your eyes afterall. ;)

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
This coul be an issue, if the blacks are blacker it means that the contrast on the samsung Is greater - and one issue with the lg is the anemic contrast. The blacks kinda get washed out compared to my other monitors.
I'm not sure if this is an issue. If you like to set your brightness to more than 50%, you'll start to see the differences, which I believe those who can tell a difference are those who set their brightness 50% or more. I set mine at 6 bars so I don't see much of a difference.

I also wonder how Anandtech test their panels, I assumed they have professional tools to do so, and resulted higher contrast on LG. But as I mentioned, in the end it's the eyes that the panel has to please, not the testing tools nor the numbers and charts.

If you can't tell the difference, then you probably don't need to worry a single bit.

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011

Thats for the 11". Read the initial review about the 13" and you will see that the contrast is much reduced compared to the 2010 mba

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Thats for the 11". Read the initial review about the 13" and you will see that the contrast is much reduced compared to the 2010 mba

People here are talking about 5-10% differences, without thinking:

(a) measurement variation - how repeatable is the measurement?
(b) temperature variation - if the PC is warm, then the LED backlight is warm. LEDs emit less light at higher temperature
(c) LCD process variation - how much difference is there between panels from the same manufacturer?
(d) how sensitive is the eye to changes in brightness at 300cd/m2?

From anandtech's measurements, the displays appear fairly similar, with the subjective discussion about vertical angles being greater for the Samsung being the most interesting difference between the displays.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
I have two 11's, one with an LG and one with a Samsung. Over time I prefer the LG. The Samsung is slightly "warmer" with a yellow tinge; the LG definitely shows white and black better. When they are side by side the LG does look washed out but within a few minutes of using either one by itself either looks fine. Some of the LG profiles floating around do make it better.

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I have two 11's, one with an LG and one with a Samsung. Over time I prefer the LG. The Samsung is slightly "warmer" with a yellow tinge; the LG definitely shows white and black better.
My experience shows otherwise. LG is warmer, and the Samsung is more vibrant without looking blue'ish. That's a 13" display comparison.

Maybe there's difference between 13" and 11", the LG may have been better on 11" models.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
My experience shows otherwise. LG is warmer, and the Samsung is more vibrant without looking blue'ish. That's a 13" display comparison.

Maybe there's difference between 13" and 11", the LG may have been better on 11" models.

Maybe there is a difference. I have both 11-inchers in front of me right now and the Samsung is definitely warmer with a yellow hue. The LG is more brilliant, albeit slightly washed out, with brighter whites and more defined colors. Either is fine when viewed alone and not compared to each other, and even better when calibrated.

squaremon

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
mine is 13' LG and the color tone is warm compare with my iPad. I'm not sure what washed out looks like, but i do notice blue looks purple on the 13" LG screen.

Last edited:

jackyyeow

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
mine is 13' LG and the color tone is warm compare with my iPad. I'm not sure what washed out looks like, but i do notice blue looks purple on the 13" LG screen.
Imagine when photocopy machine or printer running out of ink, you'll get washed out prints or copies. That's what happen to my LG screen when turn the brightness more than 50%. However "wash out" is still a pretty exaggerated word to describe because the differences ain't that significant at all.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006

I believe the display technologies of the Samsung and LG are the same for the 13", except for size. At least the part numbers seemed the same.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

i prefer having a wider vertical viewing angle, as TN panels are already limited on that.. so Samsung for me, as those aspects you mentioned are negligible to me. With a proper calibration, you can have both panels to look similar. but viewing angles.. you're stuck with what you have.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
i prefer having a wider vertical viewing angle, as TN panels are already limited on that.. so Samsung for me, as those aspects you mentioned are negligible to me. With a proper calibration, you can have both panels to look similar. but viewing angles.. you're stuck with what you have.

I have two 11's each with a different panel and I don't notice that one is better than the other from an angle perspective.

mubert

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
I compared the two 13 inch displays and could find no difference in vertical viewing angle. Again, I think the differences are barely detectable.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Now, these are my first Macs, but I have been in the PC business for 25 years.
Off topic question, but how are you liking the Mac vs PC experience? What are your general thoughts about the Mac OS, etc, vs Windows/PC? (no flame wars please, take a look at my sig and you see that I really want to know :))

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
I have two 11's each with a different panel and I don't notice that one is better than the other from an angle perspective.

it's more of a color shift. watch a movie trailer with dark backgrounds. see which one gets the photo negative effect quicker when the display is tilted back and away from you

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
There is very little difference between these screens

I think those screens actually burn in a little. In other words, what you see for the first few hours changes some.

Not to mention the aclimation and adjustment to the light source.

I'm working with both types.

One screen i'm using mostly has really weird dark spots. But you see, it doesn't effect anything.
You would have to be a prim donna to get bothered by this stuff.

Btw (is Lion really cool, or not?. I'm so... not sure :D )

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Anandtech tested the displays thoroughly and clearly proved that the LG one is measurably better in terms of contrast and color accuracy. End of story. I've used both displays thoroughly individually and compared them side-by-side and didn't notice a difference. But why do people keep arguing about this when the science is out? Either be happy with your objectively slightly inferior (though subjectively probably hardly noticeably so) Samsung display or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.