Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Ok. The one on the left is the LG.

No, wait. The one on the right is the LG. The other one is the Samsung.

Or was it the other way around? Hmmmmm...

:p

Here i was thinking this might we a way to objectively settle this, but you had to be cute instead. I can't tell you what I really think, because the forum's censoring mechanism would just bleep it out anyway.

Again, I had my LG screen beside the Samsung at the Apple Store, and a blackshirt could tell a difference; he was a bit surprised. Had I thought about it, I would have taken a camera with me.

Screw it, I'm enjoying my macbook air.

skinnfell

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
What I'd like to see is a perfectly aligned shot of each screen (in all 3 dimensions, meaning the camera should face directly perpendicular to the screen) not in the same picture but in two separate pictures side by side with the same alignment. This would rule out most discrepancies from the camera or lens, and also the factor of viewing angle (which might even differ from screen to screen).
Basically this should be set up the same way as when photographing paintings or documents.

Heres a totally unscientific comparison between the two screens at my office. Same shutter speed (1/125), aperture (f/4 I think) and white balance (daylight). Not 100% perfectly aligned since I didnt bother to set up a tripod, but I hope you still get the idea. Screens are notoriously hard to photograph because of moire and update frequency, but I'm just trying to show that its possible to get a decent comparison fairly quickly. I used lightroom to crop the pictures and increase the brightness a bit, otherwise they are straight from the camera. Took me a grand total of 10 minutes.
Both are connected to the same computer and placed side by side (yes, I\m also using a PC at work, sacrilege!)

(BTW one screen costs $1800 and the other cost $149,99 - can you tell which one is which?)

Attachments

• sidebyside3-9364.jpg
    sidebyside3-9364.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 276
  • sidebyside3-9368.jpg
    sidebyside3-9368.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Heres a totally unscientific comparison between the two screens at my office. Same shutter speed (1/125), aperture (f/4 I think) and white balance (daylight). Not 100% perfectly aligned since I didnt bother to set up a tripod, but I hope you still get the idea. Screens are notoriously hard to photograph because of moire and update frequency, but I'm just trying to show that its possible to get a decent comparison fairly quickly. I used lightroom to crop the pictures and increase the brightness a bit, otherwise they are straight from the camera. Took me a grand total of 10 minutes.
Both are connected to the same computer and placed side by side (yes, I\m also using a PC at work, sacrilege!)

(BTW one screen costs $1800 and the other cost $149,99 - can you tell which one is which?)

You haven't even bothered to calibrate the one on the left... and yes it needs calibrating for a fair test

skinnfell

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
You haven't even bothered to calibrate the one on the left... and yes it needs calibrating for a fair test

I see now that its been a while since Ive calibrated the main screen. Either way, the main topic here was how to compare two brand-new uncalibrated MBA screens which supposedly come from two different makers. Then calibration shouldnt be an issue.

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I see now that its been a while since Ive calibrated the main screen. Either way, the main topic here was how to compare two brand-new uncalibrated MBA screens which supposedly come from two different makers. Then calibration shouldnt be an issue.

This is where people are going wrong. Un-calibrated is always going to present temperature, colour, gamma and contrast differences. Out of the box one will have a more favourable appearance.

Calibrated, there should be minimal difference.

Mine looked far too warm, with a yellow cast and lacking in contrast out of the box, now it looks superb.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Here i was thinking this might we a way to objectively settle this, but you had to be cute instead. I can't tell you what I really think, because the forum's censoring mechanism would just bleep it out anyway.

Again, I had my LG screen beside the Samsung at the Apple Store, and a blackshirt could tell a difference; he was a bit surprised. Had I thought about it, I would have taken a camera with me.

Screw it, I'm enjoying my macbook air.

I don't understand your comment. I am not going to identify which one is which. That's the whole point of my post. To demonstrate how subjective this whole thing is.

That's also what I am doing - enjoying my new MBAs. And that's what I would suggest everyone else do.

And no, no one got a PM from me. Everyone will just have to either be left wondering which one is which, or convince themselves they know one is "better" than the other and suffer the indignity of their "inferior" MBA.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
i want to let you guys sweat it out a little longer, see what other guesses we get.... ;)

I am not going to identify which one is which. That's the whole point of my post. To demonstrate how subjective this whole thing is.

boo. i wouldn't have bothered if i thought you weren't going to say which one is which.

some of the photos show obvious differences, mainly the brightness on the Best Buy page. others are subtle but noticeable. some of this could be calibration, the photographic process itself, etc.

your post, which started out looking useful, has lost a lot of its purpose. you wanted to show there was no objective difference? several people have noticed the same differences. what does that show?

now it seems like all you're interested in is proving your belief that there is no difference.

.. unfortunately, at this point, i'm not sure i'd trust you even if you did post which is which.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
boo. i wouldn't have bothered if i thought you weren't going to say which one is which.

some of the photos show obvious differences, mainly the brightness on the Best Buy page. others are subtle but noticeable. some of this could be calibration, the photographic process itself, etc.

your post, which started out looking useful, has lost a lot of its purpose. you wanted to show there was no objective difference? several people have noticed the same differences. what does that show?

now it seems like all you're interested in is proving your belief that there is no difference.

.. unfortunately, at this point, i'm not sure i'd trust you even if you did post which is which.

Here, here.

macd123

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Yes i finally can say something

I purchased the macbook air 13 mid 2011 within min of it coming online worldwide.
Im currently living in Germany, so naturally as an native English speaker I opted to order one with an international english keyboard.

I choose the 128 SSD. With the dollar in the toilet I thought paying a 40% premium b/c of currency conversion would have secured me the best and the brightest from Apple.
Well it came quick...very quick and on the box it showed a date of July 10th, 2011. So yes we can all confirm the rumor of them waiting around. It shipped from Apple BV Netherlands and arrived at my door in Dusseldorf.

I was a happy apple customer all but for 5 min until I said to myself I can't read anything on this display. I thought how can it be??? It was just to bright, text wore off centered, colors on the right corner with the stop light thing (sorry still new to mac after 10 years:)hehe) were bleeding and yes I found this form!!!

I did the terminal command prompt and long and behold I had an LG screen and on top of that I had a toshiba drive. I was pissed as s..t!!!
I played with the color calibrator and nothing worked to my liking.

Surprisingly, Apple called me to see if I was happy, and I said no. I said my unit is unusable. They sent TNT to collect it, and the sec TNT drove off apples website updated for a shipment replacement. I received it today, the build date of the brown box now is the 15th of July.

So... this one has the Samsung screen and yes the Toshiba drive. At least the 50 / 50 rule worked this time. Yes, I can read finally on this screen and Yes there is a significant difference between the screens!!!!!! I want to say this again, yes there is a significant difference in the screens!!!!!! Apple you have something coming on this one, just give it a little, tiny bit more time.

I did some research like others and popped open google-crome, everywhere around the world this is a discussion with the screens and drives, from Berlin to Tokyo people are complaining and buzzing this on online blogs. And yes, in all the stores I went to this week all models of display are samsung panels.

Now on a side note, the Samsung isn't as bright and yes when the screen is pitched, viewing angles are a tiny bit noticeable. But the bottom line is the Samsung is the premium display. MOREOVER, you can read text on it at any brightness setting. For all of you out there that received an LG display, return it, replace it, demand a new one until apple gets it right, for you will never, ever be happy without it!!!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Obvious to whom? Guesses are all over the place!

It shows that OCD can't be cured over the Internet... :rolleyes:

Sigh.

facepalm.jpg

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Obvious to whom? Guesses are all over the place!

well, you're right. guesses are not consistent.

still, i think certain differences in the photos are obvious. the brightness on the best buy page, the color distortion in the off angle shots.

the contrast and detail differences in some of the shots are more subtle and harder to see. (and could even be a result of the photographic process itself.)

however, while the different guesses means some, maybe even many, can't tell the difference, it doesn't mean there aren't people that can.

i still think you should say which is which (in each shot, if they were switched).

: /

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
I
That's also what I am doing - enjoying my new MBAs. And that's what I would suggest everyone else do.

And no, no one got a PM from me. Everyone will just have to either be left wondering which one is which, or convince themselves they know one is "better" than the other and suffer the indignity of their "inferior" MBA.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Best thing to do. I bet half of the "Samsung > LG"-believers chose the wrong screen on your pictures.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Great thread, the most useful and relevant thread thats been posted on the forums yet. One argument that I've seen in this thread as well others is "I compared the two panels at the Apple store", unless you have over head flourescent lighting where your using your MBA the in store comparison is pretty irelevant.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
i don't expect to sway OP.

i was interested in this question, still am, that doesn't mean i am OCD. i am in the market for a new air, so it matters, but also, i was just curious. thought we had a decent scientific experiment going here, which it remains, but different than what i expected (was implied, maybe).

anyways, i did want to add for the record that i'm aware that even within a given manufacturer's model, there are differences from panel to panel. i think brightness differences are pretty common in this way. i'd been meaning to say this and also just read it in the Anand review, so i figured i'd hop back and add it.

example: to me the brightness on the best buy page is undeniably different. however, this could be just the regular LED lottery at work.

:p:p:p

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Well, my 13'' MBA arrived today and it has a LG panel. I must say that it looks superb, colors are vibrant and the image is crisp. It also has good viewing angles and it's very bright. I am very pleased with it.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Well, my 13'' MBA arrived today and it has a LG panel. I must say that it looks superb, colors are vibrant and the image is crisp. It also has good viewing angles and it's very bright. I am very pleased with it.

I have to agree. My i7 13" arrived and the screen is good. I compared it to my 2011 15" Macbook Pro Antiglare screen (Samsung), and the colours are very similar, however the LG does clip colours (to be expected - it is a MBA screen).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a Samsung MBA screen in person, and because of all the Samsung > LG posts, I have called Apple and have scheduled to return my MBA. A courier will collect it on Tuesday, and it has been boxed back up. It's a pity - it's my own fault, I shouldn't of let all the comments get to me about the quality of the screens.

It would of been good if the OP had stated each screen model.

lyrrad721

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I have to agree. My i7 13" arrived and the screen is good. I compared it to my 2011 15" Macbook Pro Antiglare screen (Samsung), and the colours are very similar, however the LG does clip colours (to be expected - it is a MBA screen).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a Samsung MBA screen in person, and because of all the Samsung > LG posts, I have called Apple and have scheduled to return my MBA. A courier will collect it on Tuesday, and it has been boxed back up. It's a pity - it's my own fault, I shouldn't of let all the comments get to me about the quality of the screens.

It would of been good if the OP had stated each screen model.

There's a new thread in the block in which anandtech states that the LG screens are better "numerically" and that he will soon show some results... go figure :confused:. Also, I did the full test pattern and I was able to see all the range of colors.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Ok.. I need to ask...

Did anyone with either LG screen or Toshy SSD (or whatever other combination) actually go back into the store and exchange their machine for another?

If so... what did you say to the guys at the store? And what happened?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.