Samsung's 2019 AirPlay 2-Compatible QLED TVs Now Available for Purchase

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM.

1. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Then Apple must be even a bigger joke for desperately turning to Samsung's bone crushing, world dominating OLED tech and calling it Super Retina. Lol. What a joke of a company Apple is. Zero innovation to move the industry forward. Meanwhile Samsung's moved onto modular MicroLED. Absolute dominance.

2. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Is it?

Right now, my Apple TV remote turns on and off both the tv and Apple TV with one click. I control the volume with my Apple TV remote. I access my cable channels with my Apple TV remote and the App 'Channels.' Plus I have a wide variety of other Apps that I use on my Apple TV (Hulu, Netflix, etc). I already have Airplay 2 if I really feel the need to stream from my iPhone.

What would change? I would change remotes from the Apple TV to the Samsung remote, and go back to using my cable box remote too. But I would lose the flexibility of a lot of Apps to chose from versus the fewer Apps that Samsung supports. This would be a step backwards for me.

I can see how it is a gateway for those not already in the Apple Universe. But for the premium experience, it's still the Apple TV as far as I can tell.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Me too I max out at 40" the last thing I want people to remember about my house is the TV

4. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

I hope they don't fall for the *4K* BS. Not too many folks have a viewing area where even 4K will make any difference to the human eye.

5. 2807 macrumors member

So, now your Airplay won't work well when connecting directly to the TV ?

Why not learn to leave bad enough alone?

6. munpip214 macrumors member

This is 8K, not 4K

7. Vincebus-Maximus macrumors newbie

brandwagon4.jpg

8. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Question is, does 2018/2019 have the direct tv app? Currently using the 2017 and have to use the Apple TV for it. Would be nice if I freed up and extra hdmi and save more room.

9. Jamers99 macrumors member

Jamers99

Don't really need to send music directly to my TV. Maybe my receiver.

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Judging by your tagline of gadgets, you more than anyone should understand that need has nothing to do with a decision to buy an 8K TV or a 4K TV for that matter. It's called conspicuous consumption. It's what we do. What you did mentioning that chart? I sincerely doubt anyone has ever purchased a TV with that type of info as a guide. It's nearly useless beyond being a conversation piece. About as useless as someone telling you that an iPhone 8 is just as good as an XS or an XBox One is just as good as an XBox One X. That's not how people buy. So your assessment is right in a technical sense. It's completely wrong in a practical sense because it ignores the human element.

We buy excess because of want, not need.

11. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

I think anyone that spends the really big bucks for an 8k tv have a) probably checked out the screens in person and think they see a difference, and b) have money to waste and dont care what a chart and calculations say. Anyone that really needs to think about spending that kind of money on a tv probably shouldn't.

And I have heard this kind of argument before regarding what calculations dictate about taking full advantage of 4k, and before that 1080 p, and bleh... If I like what I see, and have the funds, I am going to get it regardless of what someone else says about what I need or don't need. To me thats all rationalization for someone not to buy something and feel good about it.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Agreed. I have the QLED TV in a family room with lots of windows. It works great there. I put the OLED TV in the media room with no windows. Both technologies have their strengths and weaknesses.

13. Baymowe335 Suspended

Desperate? Apple doesn’t get into the capital intensive nonsense of supplying panels and chips.

Apple crushes Samsung.

Samsung wishes they could sell mobile like Apple. Instead, they have to practically give their phones away.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It's why I've been waiting until really big 4K TVs come down in price before upgrading my 1080p 2009 model LG which still looks relatively sharp at only 42". Honestly I'd probably be happy with a 55" 1080p if I could get all of the latest color and dynamic range technologies. My living room is kinda weird and elongated so there isn't a lot of distance between the couch and the TV (7-8ft) so 65" 4K would technically provide some benefit to me but around 75" seems to be the sweet spot, especially since this TV will likely end up in our larger basement rec-room someday when my wife is done using it as a daycare. Everyone judges TVs at the store standing 3ft away, or sometimes even closer. Most users won't notice the sharpness increase in real world use, especially once you factor in how most content is still lower resolution. That's why I haven't been in a rush. I was thinking I'd do it this year but I'm not so sure. I'd like to get OLED but worry about longevity of the panel. I don't watch a lot of TV but it's a TV that my wife and kids would also be using. LG's 77" OLED panel is still ridiculously expensive.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM ---
    Not sure why you're getting into my business but here we go. Last year was a big upgrade year for me. My wife's income increased about 60% when she expanded her business and my income increased about 25% with my new job, so we upgraded a lot of our older stuff across the board. I also tend to not list my older gear on my signature, such as my primary TV which is a 42" 1080p LG model from 2009. My Apple Watch was upgraded from a Series 0 which wasn't even getting software updates and had a battery life so short that I couldn't even get through my workouts, and it also had a small crack along the side which meant I couldn't get it wet. My iPhone is on the upgrade program, and I've made comments on the forums recently that I should probably get off of that because the iPhone doesn't change much year to year any more. My camera was replacing a Canon 7D from 2009 that had a ton of dead and hot pixels on the sensor. The SSD was because the new camera's RAW files were so big that my old mechanical external drive was massively slowing down my workflow in Lightroom. My display was replacing a 26" 1080p display from 2008 that had color shifted so poorly that I couldn't even get it calibrated any more to do design or photography work and it was very scratched from several moves. I only upgraded my iPad because my wife's old iPad Mini was running so slow she couldn't use it anymore so she got my old one. That Mac isn't even mine, it's my work machine. I gave my old 2012 MBP that I was still using until last year to my grandpa to edit his old home movies after I got a new MBP with admin privileges at my new job—though I am looking to get a more powerful desktop Mac to keep at home later this year.

Most everything on that list aside from game consoles I use daily to make money doing design, development and photography work. And the main reason I list those things is because I want people to see that I'm not overly biased towards Apple and use a wide variety of products from various brands. The difference here is that it makes zero sense to buy a TV with resolution higher than the limits of human vision. I can look at a print from my old Canon and my new Sony and see the extra detail, the high dynamic range, the low noise, and enjoy getting better shots from the much higher 10fps shooting speed. Those are real-world things that I can measure. Similarly TVs have some of these features as well, such as improved color and dynamic range. Those things are worth upgrading for. But if a 4K TV and an 8K TV are the same aside from resolution, then it makes zero sense and nobody needs that. So I try to point it out whenever I can so people don't waste their money on it. And if it's for bragging rights you could even lie and tell your friends that it's 8K because 1, there is no content for 8K, and 2, they won't be able to tell anyway. Nobody can. Not at these sizes unless you get really freaking close and look for the pixels.

15. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Reading comprehension fail.

16. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

QLED brightness is second to none....and that because microLED has potential to get brighter and its not commercially available.......also less artifacts and no chance for burn in. Samsung has really made great strides with their local dimming technology as well. Compare Samsungs 2018, 2019 QLEDs to OLED and you will see that brightness difference and even more accurate colors in my honest opinion.

17. Baymowe335 Suspended

Point failure. Let me know how that MicroLED smartphone is working out for you and when Samsung will recoup the R&D wasted on creating it while Apple can just take it whenever it's needed, if ever.

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I just want to help people out. It is better to be informed that uninformed, but in today's world of disinformation and "alternative facts" that seems to be completely lost. And yeah, I was that guy saying the same things about 4K. Everyone was buying 42-55" 4K TVs that they are sitting 8-10ft away from and it just makes no sense. However, over time 4K TVs got more features that lower-end 1080p TVs did not, such as HDR and wide gamut color, along with local dimming zones or OLED for better contrast. That along with a price drop made more sense getting a 55" 4K TV than resolution alone.

19. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Yeah bud, you're being way to sensitive and defensive. I pointed at your list of gadgets as an example of things you didn't need but you wanted. Even if you needed Apple products to do your job, you could have gotten by without the choices you made. Same with your recreational choices. You bought what you wanted. That's the point. Just like people buy 8/4K TVs because of what they want, not some chart.

I made a comment about your tagline... which you put out for public consumption. That's not exactly getting in your business. Your wall of text here? That is your business, and you put it out. Not sure why you did it either since I was only making the point that people buy things like that because of want, not need.

20. multicore macrumors member

The "any difference" is the BS here. The same argument is still advanced by some for 1080p. I went to 4k myself a couple of years ago, but I was in the store a few days ago checking out the 40" tvs, as I had ordered a 4k unit for a gift and was curious what the cheaper 1080 sets looked like. I was very surprised to be standing there and noticing the individual pixels on a 40" 1080 as I didn't remember that from my previous set. The 4k picture on my Samsung 55" is incredibly sharp and clear, and I never see an individual pixel. You can see the weave in the jerseys of football players, for example. Who needs it? Well, it is just an indication of the overall picture detail that 4k offers over 1080.

I do think, however, some who advance this argument have a legitimate point wrt small screens, as the increased detail is less and less noticeable as the tv size decreases.

21. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah but that is such a BS argument and you know it. You don't need a roof over your head—you could go make a hut like the YouTuber Primitive Technology using sticks and mud. Where do you draw the line? We don't need anything except food, water, air and a regulated temperature. But I say need because I need these things to do my work. There is software that I use daily that is only on the Mac. Finding a Windows alternative for everything would slow me down because I used to build PCs when I was younger and I know how much faster I became when switching to Mac. Being more efficient and having the tools to do my job is a need because it means the difference between providing for my family and not providing for my family. Do I NEED my kids to live? Straw man all the way down. All I am trying to do is help people make a smart buying decision, full stop, end of story. You made it personal by going after my belongings which are mine, not yours, not anyone else here. You didn't NEED to do that. I'm constantly amazed by how many butt-hurt people come out of the woodwork anytime I mention that human eyes can't perceive beyond a certain resolution at a certain distance. They get so defensive—probably because they feel bad about making a stupid decision and lash out.

22. Sevanw Suspended

Sevanw

Lol. Stop embarrassing yourself. Continuous reading comprehension fail.

23. rpe33 macrumors regular

QLED? LOL! Shamsung once again fooling their gullible customers into thinking they're buying cutting edge technology when it's nothing more than an LED backlit LCD screen with local dimming.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

See your problem here is hyperbole. Nothing in my quote suggests anything extreme. Nuance is your friend and you're ignoring it. Nuance, like the examples I used to support my point. I used an iPhone 8 vs XS Max and XBox One vs a One X. Nuance. Try it. It makes discourse all the more better. Bud, for the last time no one went after your belongings. If you think I did, point it out. Find one negative thing I said about anything you own. One. Find one negative thing I said about you owing any of those products. You can't. Even if you try to make up something, you can't. If you go back and read our interaction you will find only one individual being defensive and over reactive. That's you.

25. Baymowe335 Suspended

Resorting to childish responses because there is nothing else to say, check.