Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Why? Because Apple was the target? Would you be upset if it was a microsoft store?
Make this illegal you'd have to ban all flash mobs in public areas. They weren't trespassing on Apple property - I'm assuming Apple don't own the sidewalk immediately outside their store.

I don't care if its people protesting for a cause like the people who are upset about Apple's activities in China or whatever.

But you can't have companies hiring people to disrupt their competition's stores. It would be just as awful if Apple hired people to protest a Microsoft store.

(of course this is operating under the assumption that Samsung did in fact hire these people).

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I don't care if its people protesting for a cause like the people who are upset about Apple's activities in China or whatever.

But you can't have companies hiring people to disrupt their competition's stores. It would be just as awful if Apple hired people to protest a Microsoft store.

(of course this is operating under the assumption that Samsung did in fact hire these people).

Interesting point.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The article claims Samsung commissioned this, but it doesn't really reference any sources for this information. Somehow I think we'll see further posting on the subject within the next few days.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Love it. So simple and it seems to be spreading around the web like crazy. Good job, whoever made it happen :)

Apparently it was an ad agency called Tongue, they do have a rep for "hitting below the belt" regarding campaigns. For interest's sake they've also registered this site for the campaign launch.

I can confirm it's part of a Samsung Campaign hitting Australia shortly, they are playing ambush and guerrilla tactics with marketing strategy (so more to come).

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Samsung must be doing something right if people are getting pissy over some commercial.

It's simple because it's good guerrilla or hijack that is happening to hit a nerve. Again it's very similar to a Witchery Campaign a few years ago, it's getting response but will it translate into sales?

Personally I think it has made some noise but fail purely because no-one seems to know what its purpose is, thus no monetisation for the moment. I'd like to coin it as a puerile attempt at Gabbo ;)

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Even when a thread has nothing to do with Microsoft you manage to get the dagger in.

Just a bit surprised you didn't find a way to attack RIM at the same time.

As someone who has had to administer windows junk for the past 16 years, all I can say is that Microsoft held back the PC industry by at least a decade with their fumbling over Windows 3.0 through Windows 98 / ME.

32 bit protected mode x86 CPUs came out in 1985 (the 386), yet it wasn't until 2001 that Microsoft actually got fully behind the idea of a proper 32 bit operating system for the masses (Windows XP).

Last edited:

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
If at this point, we're still only speculating on who sent these people, and their purpose... I think someone failed. If Samsung sent these people, it doesn't look like they accomplished much, besides losing any kind of good reputation they might've been able to scrap off the floor.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
As someone who has had to administer windows junk for the past 16 years, all I can say is that Microsoft held back the PC industry by at least a decade with their fumbling over Windows 3.0 through Windows 98 / ME.

32 bit protected mode x86 CPUs came out in 1985 (the 386), yet it wasn't until 2001 that Microsoft actually got fully behind the idea of a proper 32 bit operating system for the masses (Windows XP).

Okay but what does this have to do with this event and if the reports are true, Samsung?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Okay. Where were Apple to show everyone the way? Oh yeah, that's right, their products were even worse at the time.

What exactly has this even got to do with the topic anyway?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Matters between corporations should not be made part of the criminal code and the states should not have to intervene except for within the civil court system. Thus, no, this kind of "protest" should not be made illegal nor should any law be made to limit our rights to protest because of it.

You are advocating corporations get to set limits on how protests against them can be made. This would be a big blow to civil rights and human rights if it were to happen.

Are you one of those who believes in Corportism as a government system ?

----------

Was responding to the guy who was having a gripe about someone comparing microsoft to samsung with their trying to sell crappy products.

Then should we include Apple ? While Microsoft wasn't coming out of the "proper 32 bit system" until 2001, Apple was still fumbling with cooperative multi-tasking when everyone else had moved on to the superior preemptive model in consumer operating systems ;)

Let's keep the off-topic discussion for another thread. Plenty of crap came out of every damn company out there, no need to start enumerating it.

We don't even have evidence this is a Samsung campaign, and we're already throwing out "they make crap!". Not to mention, for a company selling crap, they've just released some solid financial for their Q1 report :

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/samsung-q1-2012-earnings/

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Samsung have denied being involved.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-denies-staging-wake-up-anti-apple-flashmob-27225067/

Samsung has denied any involvement with the “Wake Up” flashmob staged outside an Apple Store in Australia, despite suggestions that it was an escalation of the company’s anti-iPhone campaign. Reported earlier this week, the flashmob saw dozens of black-clad men and women holding “Wake Up” signs converge outside of the Sydney Apple Store. However, ”Samsung Electronics Australia has nothing to do with the ‘Wake-Up Campaign” the company told SlashGear today

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Paranoia setting in ? No wonder Apple is going after Samsung. They are really competing hard now, even the fans feel so persecuted, they see "Samsung" everywhere.

I'd love to know who first attributed it to Samsung. The sad thing about tech press today is they get to write whatever they like with no recourse.

Page hits. It's the name of the game sadly. :(

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
So if it isn't Samsung, who is it, and what exactly are we supposed to "wake up" to? Lol.

Talk about a weird "ad campaign" that fails utterly in its message. It's suggestive, but of nothing in particular. Cook et al must be laughing their asses off over their chai and sushi.

I have no idea. It's so full of fail I don't even know it is an ad campaign.

Who knows what will happen once that timer hits zero. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.