Samsung's Galaxy S9 Called 'Worthy Rival' to iPhone X as Reviews Hit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Galaxy S9 and S9+ reviews are officially out, and they're mostly positive. The consensus is that Samsung's latest smartphones are iterative but improved versions of its already-impressive Galaxy S8 devices.

[​IMG]

We've linked a handful of the reviews below for anyone interested, but since we're an Apple-centric website, we've chose to specifically highlight some comparisons made to Apple and the iPhone X in particular.

Highlights

The Wall Street Journal's David Pierce believes that Samsung and the Galaxy S9 once again "set the bar for smartphone design":
    CNBC's Todd Haselton described the Galaxy S9 as "a worthy rival to the iPhone X" in his review. However, he said Samsung still lacks a Galaxy S smartphone that "pushes the boundaries a bit more" like the iPhone X.
    Samsung finally included stereo speakers on the Galaxy S9, and Haselton believes they sound "noticeably better" than those on the iPhone X.

[​IMG]

The Verge's Dan Seifert said Samsung's new "AR Emoji" feature is "built just to compete with Apple" and "not very good":
    Quartz's Mike Murphy said what irks him most about the iPhone X is that it can only be unlocked with Face ID or a passcode, whereas the Galaxy S9 has a fingerprint scanner, iris scanner, facial recognition, or a passcode.

However, he adds that the Galaxy S9's iris scanner and facial recognition system are both slower than Face ID on the iPhone X.
    Mashable's Raymond Wong touted the Galaxy S9 camera's variable aperture, but he said low-light photos aren't necessarily better than those shot with an iPhone X or Google Pixel 2. Most reviews agree it is a matter of personal preference.
    More Reviews
    TechCrunch
    Wired
    Axios
    Android Police
    The New York Times
    The Independent
    The Next Web
    USA Today
    SlashGear
    TIME
    Gizmodo
    BuzzFeed News
    CNET
    Engadget
    Digital Trends
    Pocket-lint
    BGR
    TrustedReviews
    TechRadar
    PCWorld
    T3Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ can be pre-ordered on Samsung's website for $720 and $840 respectively. The smartphones launch March 16.

Article Link: Samsung's Galaxy S9 Called 'Worthy Rival' to iPhone X as Reviews Hit

2. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

3. mozumder macrumors 6502a

4. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

5. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

"Nobody makes better-looking phones than Samsung." Really? Was that meant as a joke?

6. Tech198 macrumors G4

"So why change anything?"

That's true... why change anything compared to Apple who changes button placement from every few OS's. menus gets remained. etc.

no real consistent, although you can still follow.

To me consistory, would actually put Samsung first. As even that's not something Apple can keep to.

7. Dave245 macrumors 603

Oh so because they more or less copied the Animoji feature and a less secure Face ID :rolleyes: yet when Apple does it they are not innovating and no one will buy it, talk about double standards :rolleyes:

8. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

I can never think of these phones as anything more than counterfeits that cost the same as the original. It is mystifying to me why anybody would buy one.

9. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

On the hardware side maybe, but noting beats the simplicity of iOS.

10. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

Still running Android and still an inferior ecosystem.

Hardware does look good, though.

11. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

Not surprising about the stereo speakers. I was very disappointed in the iPhone X speakers. My old iPhone 7’s speakers sound better.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I like my iPhone X, but I just don’t get excited over smart phone tech like I use to. From any company.

A bit stale if you ask me.

13. agsystems, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

agsystems macrumors 6502a

"can be pre-ordered on Samsung's website for $720 and $840"
    ^^^Apple, can we get into a more reasonable pricing? I am all in Apple gear but the S8/S9 are really great phones at 'reasonable' prices.

14. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

I can't see myself ever buying an Android phone but if you don't think the S8 wasn't a beautiful phone, you're kidding yourself.

The X hardly takes the biscuit, does it?

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

In the end, I agree with you. Others tend disparage against iOS in terms of lack of customization or its boring, but iOS has always been about simplicity and security. It doesn’t have any clutter and it’s a clean platform. Hardware eventually wears off as it is, where software is more meaningful long-term, where I think iOS leads.

16. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

In other words, a good manufacturer made a good premium phone that works well.

17. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

My wife has the S8. In terms of hardware, it's certainly an admirable piece of tech. However, the fact that it runs a heavily skinned version of Android that, as clearly evidenced by Samsung's prior behavior, won't see updates for quite some time makes it a non-starter for me.

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

All jokes aside, pricing on those phones is where it needs to be. Apple can learn a thing or two from that. But of course, margins.

19. AngerDanger, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Those AR emoji instill Furby-levels of terror in me.

ARmoji.gif

Ahhhh, so much better.

20. scrapesleon macrumors 6502

scrapesleon

How ??? Their replica Animoji is actually a Bitmoji

21. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

And Samsung could learn a thing or two from Apple about supporting their devices. I’d rather pay a little more and get better support.

22. rubenhas macrumors newbie

rubenhas

Apple makes better-looking phones a whole year before Samsung. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

23. thekeyring macrumors 68040

"So why change anything?"

In other words, Samsung is given a free pass on keeping the phone's physical design largely the same as last year. But when Apple does it, its a sign the company is on the rocks, out of ideas, unable to innovate, etc.

"Worthy rival"

Adjusting for the anti-Apple bias: Not a good rival.

You don't download an iPhone app and find out later that it's actually malware. https://www.scmagazine.com/fake-wha...ted-malware-disguised-as-game/article/709845/

24. djlythium macrumors 6502

djlythium

25. jedwards87 macrumors newbie

"So why change anything ?". When Apple does this they get called boring and stale.