Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung recently introduced the M8, a new 32-inch 4K display that's priced at $700, making it less than half as expensive as the Studio Display from Apple. We picked up one of the displays and thought we'd compare it to the Studio Display in our latest YouTube video to see how it performs and whether you can save some money by going with a cheaper option.

In addition to serving as a display, the M8 also doubles as a 4K TV, featuring Tizen OS, built-in apps and an app store, a remote control, built-in Apple AirPlay support, and a 1080p webcam, all of which sounds great.

With a 4K resolution, the display looks great, but unsurprisingly, it's not quite as good as the 5K Studio Display, which definitely has the better screen. The Studio Display is sharper, more vibrant, and offers more accurate color, so it's definitely a better choice for those who are doing professional work.

As for design, the M8 looks to be inspired by the Studio Display and the 24-inch iMac, with Samsung offering it in white, blue, pink, and green aluminum. It looks good, and it's going to match your Apple devices because it's clearly an Apple-like aesthetic. The Samsung display is larger than the Studio Display at 32 inches instead of 27 inches, and out of the box, it's tilt and height adjustable, a feature that requires an upgrade on the Studio Display. There is no VESA mount option, though.

The Studio Display wins out when it comes to the speakers and microphone, and it features 4 USB-C ports, while the Samsung monitor has a couple USB-C ports and a micro HDMI port. The add-on camera attaches magnetically on the M8, and though the Studio Display offers Center Stage for FaceTime and other video apps, the M8 has a similar feature.

All in all, if you're looking for affordability and versatility, the M8 is worth the $700 because it also doubles as a TV, but if you want premium quality for professional work, the Studio Display is the better choice.

Article Link: Samsung's New 32-Inch 'M8' Display vs. Apple's Studio Display

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Samsung's monitor to be the better value here.

---

Edited to share Max Tech's review of the M8 Monitor, they are notoriously biased fanboys and still were largely impressed with the monitor. They do sound and display comparison with the Studio Display, I recommend watching.

Last edited:

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I own a samsung 32" 4K display and it's amazing. It's got lots of real estate which makes it perfect for coding. In the distance I'm sitting I can't tell the difference between a real retina display. It's got the same real estate as the 6K apple display only with less pixels. And I only bought it for 400€ !!!

IMG_0673.jpeg

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
At 32 inches you would actually need 6k to be a retina display. The Studio Display, which is 27”, is 5k, which results in the correct PPI for Mac.

This is why I am very interested in the size of the rumored 7K display.

Would it be 36" then do you think?

Reactions: ErikGrim

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I own a samsung 32" 4K display and it's amazing. It's got lots of real estate which makes it perfect for coding. In the distance I'm sitting I can't tell the difference between a real retina display. It's got the same real estate as the 6K apple display only with less pixels. And I only bought it for 400€ !!!

View attachment 1994672
What model is that? Looks great.

Reactions: burgman and ajfahey

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
What I really wanted was for Apple to make a competitor with this display - maybe $1100 for something a smidge better than this. Apple keeps their fat profit margin and I don't have to feel that awful feeling that the Studio Display is truly just a bit too expensive for what you get.

Also I really don't need a 32-inch desk monitor and having it be so large lowers the PPI quite a bit.

Billrey

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Copenhagen
Sure, of course you can buy any non-retina display and save money. For those of us that care, that just doesn’t cut it. There is a world of difference between running native retina 2x 1:1 resolution on a proper 220PPI display vs some blurry scaled UI on a low-PPI display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.