Samsung's newest iPhone wanna-be.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Attached Files:

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

3. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

yea looks like the iPhone home button...
    the interface sucks

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Jeez, what's that pile of metalic poop underneath the "Samsung"? If its running that same proprietary OS as the Instink, then it's garbage.

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Add to that, the Omnia, Pixon, Tocco(I think that could be the Behold under a different name), etc.
    Much the same is happening over at HTC, with too many phones to remember.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The bigger news is the new LG Incite, the first LG smartphone sold in the U.S.

Available from ATT (web page here).

Funny that ATT, the exclusive U.S. iPhone seller, continues to add WM phones to its stable.

Well, maybe not so odd. The LG has features the iPhone is missing, like video, MMS, video sharing during calls, and can run ATT's turn-by-turn TeleNav GPS program.

7. DigMe macrumors 6502

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

9. markgamber macrumors 6502

Well, it goes to show that AT&T thinks a lot less of the iPhone than Apple thinks of AT&T. I do like that there are more non-HTC WM phones hitting the market these days. The Treo was easily my favorite WM phone.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

??? Do you even know what proprietary means?

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Whew, I was beginning to get nervous. It's been DAYS since Samsung has released a new phone! I wonder what the next big new phone from them will be? I'll just have to wait until Saturday to find out.

12. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

BEHOLD of Samsung's crappy phones...

/rimshot

:D

13. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I was going to get one of these the other month on O2 (they've been out in the UK for a bit), but it actually worked out cheaper to get an iPhone, so I did.

My last 3 or 4 phones have been Samsung (after switching from Nokia), they've all been excellent (apart from slide mechanism on d500). I would have happily bought one. It's not ugly close up and I think is thinner than the iPhone (but I can't remember exactly).

It's good to have competition.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I think it's running Win-Mo, underneath their 'Touch-Whizz'(or something ) UI.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

My stepson adored his Treo for work for years, but just replaced it with a HTC Touch Pro.

Yes, the iPhone has had all sorts of fallout. The media coverage of smartphones has skyrocketed and so have smartphone sales of all makes.

The iPhone is indirectly responsible for the huge rise of HTC as a smartphone power, since HTC is quite willing to make both CDMA and GSM versions and sell them to everyone.... taking markets that Apple ignores.

There's also the new use of WM on the part of large companies like Sony-Ericsson (Xperia phone) and even Nokia signing up to install Silverlight. Amazing.

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I saw the commercial for this yesterday.

I lolled.
    Bleh.
    Another iPhone wanna-be failure.

17. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

And..... no wifi. Seriously.

Swing and a miss.

18. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

My wife just got teh Samsung Eternity from AT&t, she really likes it and it works well for what she needs to do.

She likes to play games on my iphone but she does not like the screen for typing, the Eternity is a pressure touch screen and works much better for her.

personally i almost gave up the iphone for the fuze. in the end the app store and the slim size of the iphone won out. The fuze has more overall features that i would probably use but i have carried a brick (HTC 8525) for two years in my pocket and the size of the iphone is kinda nice.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Why would introducing new WM devices mean that? Exclusivity on the iPhone doesn't mean that AT&T must ONLY sell iPhones. And not even Apple is deluded enough to think that everyone must have an iPhone and no other device.

iPhones continue to be sold, as do Blackberries and WM phones. New models will come out and AT&T will stock them. Big deal!

20. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Why do all these companies make products that looks the same but have software that looks like Windows Mobile? THAT's why they'll never come out on top.

In some recent review I read they said the iPhone is popular not due to abundance of features (in some areas it had less, they said) but for it's functionality. People were willing to go without certain features to have a product that's easier to use.

21. ayasinsk macrumors regular

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's basically it in a nutshell.

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It's not a very bad phone. I played with one at the T-Mo store and it worked well enough.

Just a note, the OP has the Applications screen open and not the home screen.

[​IMG]

What's not shown on this shot is the "drawer" on the left where you can drag widgets out into the open space.

Plus the 5MP camera + Flash is quite nice.

24. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Not Win-Mo, SamsungOS :p

25. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Flash: nice.
    5 MP: meaningless, since the lens is still tiny and ******, so the pictures will still suck.

My first digital camera, a 2.1MP Fujifilm, took pictures infinitely better than my iPhone does, in spite of being the same MP rating. It's all about the quality of the lens...