Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SanDisk recently announced a new line of cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, aiming to give users expanded storage capabilities without needing to upgrade their iPhone model. Called the iXpand Memory Case and available in 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, SanDisk's new cases ensure durable protection for Apple's smartphone while adding to the iPhone's base storage capacity via the Lightning port.

ixpand-memory-case-800x471.jpg

Working in conjunction with the free iXpand Memory Case app [Direct Link], users can set their camera roll to automatically back up to the accessory's storage in order to avoid running into a situation where an excess of photos and videos prevents them from capturing any more media content. The app also password protects any content saved within the Memory Case, and can be migrated to and from SanDisk's SecureAccess desktop software for Windows and Mac.
The iXpand Case App is the companion to your iXpand Case allowing you to access and manage your content stored on your case. Get quick access to view your photos and play your, videos, music and access other files, with easy sorting options. The app automatically organizes and arranges all the content into photos, videos, music - so that you do not have to worry about it.

Easily save videos and photos, play videos and music directly from the memory case, create playlists of your favorite music, and manage the optional add-on battery pack. You can even setup automatic transfer of all your photos and videos directly to the case.
The iXpand Memory Case is also functionally expandable with the 1900mAh battery pack accessory, which the company says can double the life of an iPhone. The pack is automatic and doesn't require any separate manual start since it can "detect when your phone's battery runs low, and kicks in to charge it."

SanDisk has begun selling the iXpand Memory Case on Amazon in its three different memory configurations: 32GB ($59.99), 64GB ($99.99), and 128GB ($129.99). Each case for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s is also available in Blue, Grey, Red, and Teal. The battery pack accessory has no specified release date, but anyone interested can pre-order today for $39.99.

Article Link: SanDisk's 'iXpand Memory Case' Adds Up to 128GB of Storage, Optional Battery

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Would have liked this for my SE which tops out at 64GB max. I don't really need it for a 6SPlus and if I did I probably would hold out and see if the iPhone 7 maxes out at 256GB.

It's a pretty cool idea, though. If I do trade in my 6S Plus I probably will go for the smaller model because all the interesting accessories seem to go to the smaller iPhone and not the pluses.

vsthsd

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2012
I wish Apple would open up an API for new/transparent/secure storage mount. (basically like android's micro sd slot) That way products like this could interact seamlessly w/o the need for the included app.

Probably won't happen though. Onboard storage is being kept to a reasonable minimum because everything's headed to the (i)Cloud.

Reactions: karthik2809

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wish Apple would open up an API for new/transparent/secure storage mount. (basically like android's micro sd slot) That way products like this could interact seamlessly w/o the need for the included app.

Probably won't happen though. Onboard storage is being kept to a reasonable minimum because everything's headed to the (i)Cloud.
Yeah. Unfortunately the iCloud sucked for me when I was traveling out west.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
128 GB of useless storage.

It doesn't augment the built-in storage in any way, so it is just a hassle and another thing to manually manage that no Apps can take advantage of.

Not sure why people always get so hyped up about memory cards and external storage. They do literally nothing for you.

You're much better off buying a phone with enough storage for your needs, and utilizing the cloud infrastructure for offloading content.

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014
I want more battery and an extra 128gb of storage, but I think upgrading from the 128gb iPhone 6s to the 256gb iPhone 7 plus will solve that.
You'll get 256GB right but pathetic or negligibly improved battery life

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014

It doesn't augment the built-in storage in any way, so it is just a hassle and another thing to manually manage that no Apps can take advantage of.

Not sure why people always get so hyped up about memory cards and external storage. They do literally nothing for you.

You're much better off buying a phone with enough storage for your needs, and utilizing the cloud infrastructure for offloading content.
Reasons for these is
1. They cost more
2. Cloud demands fast and consistent Internet which is not always the case
This explains why there is much research in bringing down the cost of memory, internal or external and also why Apple is going for 256GB and not 8GB

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Agreed, especially for the prices SanDisk is charging for the cases, which isn't much more than simply upgrading to an iPhone with the amount of storage you need. I'm amazed, though, that SanDisk was able to fit so much storage into such a tiny amount of space.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
This is a cool idea, however, I don't like anything case that plugs into the Lightning port only because I feel like it takes away from the freedom of having an open lightning port and it makes the phone way to bulky in my opinion.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
The funny thing is that when time to upgrade, you'll lose the case and that extra storage.:D

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

Thank you, Apple, for refusing to implement a supplemental storage system (microSD) in the iPhone so that apps can take advantage of external storage. Since most of my large data needs are photos and videos (and movies), I appreciate having to pay you $200 extra for 128GB storage instead of a $25 microSD to keep all that stuff on. :rolleyes:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Cool idea I guess, but for pity's sake! That is SO ugly w/ the battery pack.
Lol, makes that turd of a battery case Apple made look like a masterpiece comparatively.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Thank you, Apple, for refusing to implement a supplemental storage system (microSD) in the iPhone so that apps can take advantage of external storage. Since most of my large data needs are photos and videos (and movies), I appreciate having to pay you $200 extra for 128GB storage instead of a $25 microSD to keep all that stuff on. :rolleyes:
It's not about the cost of the two options. It is about the end user experience. It is always going to be a better user experience to not manage storage at all (or hardly), and use what is built in. So that is what Apple insists upon.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
It's not about the cost of the two options. It is about the end user experience. It is always going to be a better user experience to not manage storage at all (or hardly), and use what is built in. So that is what Apple insists upon.

Exactly. Google didn't even encrypt external storage until some KK release or another. Plus how do you explain to the end user that "oh, you can't do it because your popped out the card." It's a support nightmare.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I want more battery and an extra 128gb of storage, but I think upgrading from the 128gb iPhone 6s to the 256gb iPhone 7 plus will solve that.
Sticking with your current phone and taking this SanDisk option would cost about $170. Getting a new phone is about $750. Something to consider.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It ALWAYS sucks when you travel, that's why I won't ever use iCloud.

Apple just needs to enable using iCloud over cellular.

I have a 20GB data plan, with rollover. I don't have to worry about data caps. Why the heck isn't there a button I can push to sync my photos to iCloud Photo Library over cellular? Or back up my phone? I can understand not making it automatic because that could use a lot of data. But a simple button that says "Sync iCloud Photo Library (342MB cellular data will be used)" would be amazing.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.